• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
They really should have just added the ability to climb in the rain to the climbing set in a patch or when dlc came out or whatever. The need to just stand around and pick your nose while waiting for rain to pass was a fucking chore. I normally love rain and weather in games, but it was such a bummer in BotW.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I loved it. It adds a challenge from the environment.
In the south east area of the map, there's an area that's always raining. Trying to get to the top of the mountains was fun.

A lot of people just love to throw around "terrible game design" for something they don't like or don't want to take the time to understand.
I agree. The game gives you an obstacle and several ways to complete it, but people would rather complain about the obstacle lol.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't there people would be complaining "when is the weather update coming?" Besides that, rocks are slippery when wet.

I wouldn't mind a better in-game counter to it though.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Many cliff faces have overhangs where the rain can't reach you, and you can often make progress by climbing underneath these and leaping onto the top once you get high enough. If the ground is level enough you should be able to make a campfire under these outcroppings as well, and you can choose to wait out the storm once it's lit. Speed elixirs, stamina elixirs, and climbing gear go a long way to aiding in rain climbs. Revali's Gale has been brought up already but once you have it, rain is virtually a non-issue. You may rarely be blocked by rainfall. I played the game for nearly 300 hours and there were maybe 3 times I felt I needed to wait out a storm. Every other time I was able to either find a way up or around to wherever I was headed. Even short hops between inclines was enough to make it up good-sized mountains during rain. Sometimes I used octo-balloons to raise platforms high enough for me to leap off of, to climb to safe areas. It's a fun mechanic. Thunderstorms give you the opportunity to turn the elements against your enemies. All rain types give you penalty-free shield surfing. You're sometimes forced to re-think your navigation or switch your equipment, but that's only a good thing as far as I'm concerned. We play these games to overcome challenges that are presented to us. Developing on-the-fly solutions and scrapping through dynamic problems are BotW's greatest strength.

I wonder how methods of overcoming rain could be presented without spoiling the experience. In BotW, you experiment to find solutions. It resonates so much with me because it doesn't tell how to solve the puzzles it throws. You develop your own ad hoc solutions to whatever situation presents itself. If it were to more explicitly say "here is how you can bypass this obstacle," I think it would lose much of what makes it special.

It seems like there is a definite "wrong" way to play, though. And that's a shame. Waiting out rain is the worst solution to the problem. But it's also the most obvious. Likewise for avoiding broken weapons: many players choose to avoid combat, because they don't want to lose supplies. But the only way to get better supplies, and to increase the durability of drops, is to expend supplies and engage in combat. For those who play the "right" way, these systems become obvious hours in. But those who choose to play conservatively never even get the chance to discover they're doing something wrong. They just slog through. Nothing improves for them because novel discoveries can't be made. The game gives you the freedom to ignore its systems, which results in an inscrutable experience if a player doesn't push far enough in the right direction.

The thing is, that seems like an unavoidable consequence of being hands-off. It's a carefully crafted experience, and the development team must have known the risk involved with allowing the player to miss so much. But I think they made the right decision. The critical and fan reception was overwhelmingly positive, and it's sold so well that I'm confident in saying most agree.
It's undeniable that the critical reception was positive. I wonder what (if anything?) The dev team could've done to push people like me in the right direction. The experience felt very unfriendly even as I recognized its virtues on paper.

Oct 26, 2017
They really should have just added the ability to climb in the rain to the climbing set in a patch or when dlc came out or whatever. The need to just stand around and pick your nose while waiting for rain to pass was a fucking chore. I normally love rain and weather in games, but it was such a bummer in BotW.

So... don't stand around and pick your nose? Find an alternate route (which itself will probably lead you to something of interest), start a campfire and wait until the rain's passed (or chuck a ton of wood on your campfire and use the updraft to gain more height), use some stamina food, equip the climbing equipment... do literally anything other than nothing whatsoever.

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked how it was used when you first try and get to the Zora's, and I hope the sequel creates more scenarios like that.

The random rain never really bothered me tbh. If it got in the way I'd find a different route, but I could usually just brute force my way through it.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah especially early on before you have the Rito blessing it can really put a damper on the exploration. I remember once time it started pouring while I was in a mountain range and I had to sit in a cave for like 15 minutes to let it pass and move on.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the rain in general, but it always seemed to start when I needed to do a bunch of climbing. The set bonus on the climbing gear should have also given you the ability to climb wet rocks without slipping.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
rain is a weather system... sounds like the mechanic you have an issue with is the climbing, specifically when it rains.
I hated when this happened too, there should have been a buff given by the climbing suit that would have taken care of this problem.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
It only annoy me when I wanted to climb to get to Zora's Domain besides that I never had a problem with it.