• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you hate seeing another game advertised in the one you're playing?

• Yes, it sucks.

• No, I love being advertised to.

• No, it doesn't bother me.

Results are only viewable after voting.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So I just finished reading the Pillars of the Earth last night and thought I'd give the game by Daedalic a playthrough which I picked up on sale recently. Downloaded it and loaded it up this morning and on the title screen I'm greeted in the bottom right corner by advertising for some of their other games which not only reeks of cheapness but completely ruins the lovely drawn background of the title screen. I know I'm probably overreacting but god damn I bought a game to play and experience by itself, not to be advertised to. I'm playing a game, not viewing the steam store for crying out loud.

Does this annoy anyone else and if so where have you seen similar advertising tactics by developers and publishers?

Edit - Image of the advertising in question:

abIF0Z3.jpg

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I can't hear you over the sound of me drinking my Monster Energy Drink.

Oct 25, 2017
I even hate when games try to sell me DLC for the same game in the title screen, let alone another game entirely.

It did make for a hilarious moment in Horizon, though, when after the super serious narrative driven opening the camera pulled back to what was originally just the title screen, but since I was late to the party I was immediately prompted with PRESS TRIANGLE TO GO TO PS STORE AND BUY THE DLC!!!!

What a great way to finish an arty farty intro.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I dug the shoutouts Naughty Dog and Insomniac gave each other in the PS2 generation:

Title screen ads are terrible though.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean some games sell advertising to you which is much worse but it's pretty scummy to put advertising in anything you paid for

OP
OP

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
People mentioning cameos and the like are probably missing my point. I'm talking about directly advertising another game by an ad banner or some such. I added an image to the OP showing the advertising in Pillars of the Earth. It seems to change which two games are shown as well.

Where is the option that says "no, it doesn't bother me"?

Added to the poll.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
I believe SW Battlefront 2 has / or did have "Preorder Now images" for Fallen Order.
I'm certain I saw 2019 Modern Warfare "Preorder Now Images" in Modern Warfare remaster.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People mentioning cameos and the like are probably missing my point. I'm talking about directly advertising another game by an ad banner or some such. I added an image to the OP showing the advertising in Pillars of the Earth. It seems to change which two games are shown as well.

Added to the poll.
I understand why you dont like it, but honestly, Daedalic need all the help they can get since they games are so niche. And it's not like they have the ads during the game.

Also im currently reading pillars of the earth and im in love. Can you do a small LTTP for the game? I would love to hear some impression especially from someone who just read the book too!

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I don't see the issue with a studio promoting its own games. Maybe a little tacky for it to be on the start screen, but I get them doing it. Don't like other advertisement tho

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I go out of my way to find out about recent and upcoming games on Era and other websites so I definitely don't mind that stuff. Although full screen pop-ups like they have for Star Wars in Apex can fuck off.