• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
You're acting like alcohol and weed is heroin. What is wrong with you? Yes, some people have addictive personalities, or various other issues that means they shouldn't try this shit. But you're acting like one drink of alcohol is gonna turn you into the town drunk that'll lose everything. Alcohol and drugs have been a part of human history before written language. Your perspective on this is incredibly warped

And you are irresponsible to be okay with telling a sober person to try something that can potentially make them an addict to a substance, FOR THE FUN OF IT.

Why even risk it?

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Or it's just 1 or 2 people being hyper militant, but there's also people in here saying shit like "you haven't lived until you tried"
I don't think that's a problem. Like I said above, if you have legitimate issues, then yes, you should avoid drinking and drugs. But if you haven't tried it and are otherwise normal, I don't see the harm in it. And in fact, I think it can help in a lot of cases. It helped me. When I was young and growing up I never thought I would drink or smoke, and thought people who did it were losers. But at the same time, I struggled a lot in social situations and was generally awkward. When I got to college, I finally gave it a shot, and it made me much more comfortable talking to people and making friends. And that isn't just when I was drunk. Drinking and socializing with people made me more comfortable and confident when talking with them sober, and also more open when talking with people I didn't know sober. Assuming you don't have underlying issues with addiction or anything, the worst thing that happens is you try it one night and decide it's not for you.

And you are irresponsible to be okay with telling a sober person to try something that can potentially make them an addict to a substance, FOR THE FUN OF IT.

Why even risk it?
DARE really did a number on you

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never had anything, and never really had a reason to either since ive only had had a couple friends my whole life and they were huge nerds who never went to any parties. Biggest party ive been to is like 6 people playing video games

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Urgh this is looking more and more like the "I don't drink because coca cola and haribo tastes better!" post I saw on another forum many moons ago.

Alcohol is a genuinely nice thing to drink and enjoy if you acquire the taste, hell I'd take an alcohol free beer over a pepsi any day of the week.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Drinking right now lol
I used to not do anything but peer-pressure got me LOL
This post is confusing. If you are peer pressured, that indicates that you are with peers at this moment and therefore sitting around posting on Internet forums instead of conversation, which is a far larger problem than drinking. If you aren't with peers, then you are drinking alone and therefore have no one to pressure you.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Alcohol is a genuinely nice thing to drink and enjoy if you acquire the taste, hell I'd take an alcohol free beer over a pepsi any day of the week.

Same. I'd kill for some alcohol free beers that taste identical to my favorite craft beers. I drink for taste more than the buzz and getting rid of the alcohol wouldn't cut the calories way back. Just not possible though as the alcohol free lagers are terrible at trying to immitate a bland style of beer much less being able to make a good IPA or stout with no alcohol.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the act of smoking anything is nasty so you'd never catch me doing it.

As for drinking, I'm not actually against it, I just barely do it. My tolerance is high so it takes a hell of a lot to make any progress and I think it tastes like shit. Even the "good" alcohol is graded on a "this is all actually shit" curve where something accomplishing being tolerable is rated as "good." So I'm spending a shitload of money on drinks that actually taste like shit just so that my head can feel dizzy for half an hour. Just not worth it to me. But I still do it socially on occasion and I have no issue with other people doing it.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
People start smoking and drinking because of social customs and integration. It really is a stupid thing, but I'm sure it opens up opportunities. I'm an introvert and I hate both, surely it's totally related.

In any case, I wish healthy social events were encouraged, times and places where tobacco and alcohol were banned. If they exist, someone please point the way! Gotta love not having (these) toxic habits.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's a problem. Like I said above, if you have legitimate issues, then yes, you should avoid drinking and drugs. But if you haven't tried it and are otherwise normal, I don't see the harm in it. And in fact, I think it can help in a lot of cases. It helped me. When I was young and growing up I never thought I would drink or smoke, and thought people who did it were losers. But at the same time, I struggled a lot in social situations and was generally awkward. When I got to college, I finally gave it a shot, and it made me much more comfortable talking to people and making friends. And that isn't just when I was drunk. Drinking and socializing with people made me more comfortable and confident when talking with them sober, and also more open when talking with people I didn't know sober. Assuming you don't have underlying issues with addiction or anything, the worst thing that happens is you try it one night and decide it's not for you.

But your story is precisely the point I'm trying to make when it comes to alcohol as a societal crutch. To act like that is the solution to socializing is a problem IMO.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Dont drink or smoke.

Dont like the taste or the smell of either

Plus there's alcoholism in my family, and ive seen how destructive excessive drinking can be.

So ill stick to water and chocolate milk

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
But your story is precisely the point I'm trying to make when it comes to alcohol as a societal crutch. To act like that is the solution to socializing is a problem IMO.
But I'm not saying I need it in all situations. It's not like I can only socialize when drunk. But being drunk with people and talking to them opened me up to how to carry a conversation and generally how to be around others. And I carry that into when I'm just hanging out sober with people. When I was younger I'd constantly be in my own head when talking with people and trying to figure out how to keep talking. But once I had the experience of drinking, I learned how to better interact with people and be in the moment instead of thinking about every little thing that I said, even when sober. I'm not saying it's a cure all, but the experience of being drunk with others basically taught me social graces that I can use even in office small talk. People have different ways of dealing with this stuff, and as long as it's not interfering with your life I don't see the issue

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1 or 2 glasses of something at a friends birthday every year but thats it.

Never smoked(anything) and will never do that - This is just disgusting.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I find it funny that some people in this thread find it weird that people *don't* want to try and poison themselves at least once. How weird are theyyyyy.

Equally funny are many of those same folks who don't want to poison themselves openly admitting to eating like garbage and being addicted to sugar. Weird how things work sometimes.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
Never smoked anything and never drank any alcohilic drink for fun either (have taken some alcohol for cough). Never been high in my life (am 30). Hell I don't drink cold drinks, coffee, tea etc either. Some people think it's weird but I just have no wish to have these and don't feel that I am missing anything either.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I don't smoke. My father smoked a lot when I was growing up and I always thought it was disgusting.

I rarely drink now. Used to when I was in my 20s, but now I avoid hangovers, so not more than a cocktail or two. I pass on the hard liquor.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It is a personal issue for me.

Listen, do whatever you want I am not judging, but just don't influence sober people to smoke or drink.

Why are you so upset about this?

This forum has a ton of stuck up, borderline straight edge assholes who infest every thread about weed and vaping. Holy fuck that vaping thread we had a while back. We almost had people arguing that smoking was better than vaping and who cares if vaping saves lives lets let all the smokers die.

You reminded me of all of those people. "Kids do Juul, lets ban vaping and let the adult smokers die"!!!! The fucking thread.

Weed should not be illegal in the US. You'd know this if you ever had any.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I used to drink a good bit, but eventually I got a stomach bleed and my brain managed to blame it on booze. It would take someone offering me a ton of money to drink again. I smoke the herb tho.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
This forum has a ton of stuck up, borderline straight edge assholes who infest every thread about weed and vaping. Holy fuck that vaping thread we had a while back. We almost had people arguing that smoking was better than vaping and who cares if vaping saves lives lets let all the smokers die.

You reminded me of all of those people.

Because I am saying stop advocating people to smoke up for no reason? There are people who are actively trying to quit the shit.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
It's not that. I don't think he cares at all about people who are teetotalers or sober or whatever. More power to you. It's the people that don't drink that are in this very thread shaming people for drinking. People saying how you're just poisoning yourself and shit. Just because you don't drink or smoke doesn't make you better than people who do
If you're referring to my previous post, why not mention that I said that in response to seeing a few posts first about how weird and eyebrow raising it was that people never drink or smoke. Even so far as to say they wouldn't trust them.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Never smoked and never done drugs but I occasionally drink beer like at metal gigs or with friends, and maybe one with a meal now and then, but I don't drink to be drunk, sometimes I get a bit tipsy but I have never and will never drink to a degree that I am no longer in control of myself.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Because you have to go incredibly far out of your way to become psychologically addicted to it, and it isn't physically addictive at all?

Physically/Psychologically, it doesn't matter. Point is, it can get you addicted (Close to 1 in 10 adults who have ever used cannabis will develop an addiction to it. This statistic rises to about 1 in 6 for people who started using cannabis as a teenager, from Canada's cannabis health effect page)

So again, for the millionth time I ask, why are you telling sober people to smoke up where there is potential to get addicted?

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding smoking, as i said it's a bad habit to have long tern, but it's not just a habit it can be very enjoyable outside of simple addiction.

Personally I found smoking:

- With an espresso
- With red wine
- After a great meal
- After sex
- On the dancefloor with a beer in hand

To be a very enjoyable experience, similar to appreciating anything with an acquired taste.

However I simply just stopped after a while, I wish it was that easy for most people.

Anyway don't be a straight edge stick in the mud for no reason. Most things are good in moderation, even moderation.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's a drug that can make people addicted to it. Again, why would you lead a sober person to do it?

Why?

Because it can be a low key, fun and social activity. It can expand your mental horizons for a bit, let you see the world in a different way.

Weed isn't addictive, not physically. How do I know? Because nicotine is addictive as fuck and it is physically addictive. You know that feeling when your thirsty? The urge for water, that need (not necessary the dry throat). Welcome to every three hours when your a nicotine addict. You have no idea what the difference between physically addicted and the nebulous concept of "psychologically" addicted. It isn't a small difference and if you had experience, you would know.

I did a ton of weed freshmen year of college. Came home for the summer, no withdrawal and I didn't give it a second thought.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This post is confusing. If you are peer pressured, that indicates that you are with peers at this moment and therefore sitting around posting on Internet forums instead of conversation, which is a far larger problem than drinking. If you aren't with peers, then you are drinking alone and therefore have no one to pressure you.
Never browse the web with friends?