• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Why?

Because it can be a low key, fun and social activity. It can expand your mental horizons for a bit, let you see the world in a different way.

Weed isn't addictive, not physically. How do I know? Because nicotine is addictive as fuck and it is physically addictive. You know that feeling when your thirsty? The urge for water, that need (not necessary the dry throat). Welcome to every three hours when your a nicotine addict.

I did a ton of weed freshmen year of college. Came home for the summer, no withdrawal and I didn't give it a second thought.

All of this is anecdotal to you.

Say you tell someone to take up weed and he's a addictive person, and is stuck with a habit that is draining his life? What now?

You smoke? ok, but keep that shit to yourself.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Say you advice someone to take up weed and he's a addictive person, and is stuck with a habit that is draining his life? What now?

Holy shit you are a fucking troll.

Come back to me when people who smoke weed are looking for weed roaches or butts on the ground that are only mostly smoked, like cigarettes.

You've never meet someone who's sole issue was weed destroying their life. No one has.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado

Say you tell someone to take up weed and he's a addictive person, and is stuck with a habit that is draining his life? What now?

You smoke? ok, but keep that shit to yourself.
As someone who has addiction issues, I can and have stopped smoking weed for months at a time after periods of regular use and have no adverse reactions, withdrawal or anything. This is incomparable to alcohol, cigarettes, amphetitimes or 90% of other drugs. It's fine that you choose to stay completely sober and I have similar friends but you just really don't know what you're talking about.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I have never smoked
I haven't drunk in well over 5 years (and even then I rarely drunk) outside of sips of champagne at toasts to be polite.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Come back to me when people who smoke weed are looking for weed roaches or butts on the ground that are only mostly smoked, like cigarettes.

You've never meet someone who's sole issue was weed destroying their life. No one has.

Dude I think i-hate-u is going a bit mad, but weed has certainly ruined lives and it can exacerbate previously existing mental health issues.

It didn't ruin my life but it definitely made my mental health worse.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
How did I know this thread would be filled with people telling non-drinkers and smokers to "just try it, it will help you loosen up and be a riot at social events"?

Same thing every time. Even strangers on the internet want to encourage a person to drink once they hear that person is a teetotaler/small drinker.

It is possible for people to socialize and party without drinking or doing drugs, but is it possible to have one thread like this without the constant "I was such an awkward person before I started drinking and once I did it completely changed my social life" posts?

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017

It can have physical withdrawl symptoms.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Dude I think i-hate-u is going a bit mad, but weed has certainly ruined lives and it can exacerbate previously existing mental health issues.

It didn't ruin my life but it definitely made my mental health worse.

It wasn't' the sole cause.

He's acting like weed = meth and heroine. They can ruin your life all on their own and quickly.

Nicotine is just as addictive but it's less immediately harmful, isn't debilitating during use and is legal, so it isn't a life ruiner.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Don't smoke anything but drink socially. Whole I like drinking and am a responsible drinker, I don't see how I could do much things socially without alcohol present. Even nerds drink here.

I don't drink by myself though.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has addiction issues, I can and have stopped smoking weed for months at a time after periods of regular use and have no adverse reactions, withdrawal or anything. This is incomparable to alcohol, cigarettes, amphetitimes or 90% of other drugs. It's fine that you choose to stay completely sober and I have similar friends but you just really don't know what you're talking about.

Your example is anectodal. Other people do get addicted to it.

And my argument stems from the fact that I don't think you should not recommend a potentially addictive drug to someone for the fun aspect of it.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
I neither drink nor smoke, during college I did drink the occasional glass due to peer pressure when I was with friends, hated it every time, people kept telling me it'll grow on me ...it never did. At this point I haven't drank a drop in years.

As for why I don't smoke, it wasn't for health reasons, I just couldn't be bothered, just extreme laziness I suppose.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Tried both smoke, weed and alcohol, don´t like the effect, so I stopped. From time to time Ill drink wine with friends or weed, but I can easily live without them.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
How did I know this thread would be filled with people telling non-drinkers and smokers to "just try it, it will help you loosen up and be a riot at social events"?

Same thing every time. Even strangers on the internet want to encourage a person to drink once they hear that person is a teetotaler/small drinker.

It is possible for people to socialize and party without drinking or doing drugs, but is it possible to have one thread like this without the constant "I was such an awkward person before I started drinking and once I did it completely changed my social life" posts?

I think most of the thread is people confused by people who have never tried either with no obvious reason. Then those same people say things like "it's disgusting." It's human nature to question why.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
It can have physical withdrawl symptoms.
It truly doesn't mate, in college over a weekend friend and I smoked an ounce(a large amount) and I realized it wasn't sustainable with my limited budget and quit smoking for close to 3 months and didn't have a single physical or mental side effect. Which yes anecdote but drugs that cause withdrawal don't let you just quit without adverse effects.

Wanting to smoke again because you enjoy the effect is different than say alcohol's I need to drink because your hands are shaking or nicotine withdrawal turning you into an emotionally unstable toddler.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I think most of the thread is people confused by people who have never tried either with no obvious reason. Then those same people say things like "it's disgusting." It's human nature to question why.

This plus a lot of us are young and live in environments where you'd have to excuse yourself from not drinking all the time. Unless you stayed indoors or seeked out nondrinkers, you'd stick out.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Your example is anectodal. Other people do get addicted to it.

And my argument stems from the fact that I don't think you should not recommend a potentially addictive drug to someone for the fun aspect of it.

While we're tossing out anything that can be considered anecdotal, let's lose this perspective that 100% sobriety is objectively better than not, as that's also totally anecdotal.

And runs counter to the many medical claims of the merits of things like alcohol in minor consumptions and marijuana in more extreme examples like recurring seizures.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know? Have you ever been through withdrawal from a drug? Caffeine has wicked withdrawal symptoms. Not dangerous but shitty as hell. Nicotine the same. Should caffeine be made illegal? Should we put warning labels on all star bucks coffees?

Because people have said so?

And you can't classify Caffeine and weed on the same scale.

Listen, I am done. If you can't see how advising a sober person to take up weed for the fun of it is wrong, then it's on you. I don't want to engage on this further.

This thread can have itself a good day.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I had a cigarette once and my very first puff was so disgusting that I just immediately reacted by throwing it off the balcony I was sitting on. I've never had another one.

I drink sometimes, but only very small amounts. It's too expensive of a hobby.

This plus a lot of us are young and live in environments where you'd have to excuse yourself from not drinking all the time. Unless you stayed indoors or seeked out nondrinkers, you'd stick out.

It's very easy to just order a soda when you're with friends. If you hang out with the kind of people who will give you shit for not drinking, you're not hanging out with good people.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018

There is a difference between questioning why and simply telling people to drink/smoke weed.

Here's the answer to that question, none of anyone's business. I also don't think its human nature to be nosy. Would you ask someone why they've never had chinese food or travelled on an airplane?

Plenty of people have never done things that are common, but its only non-drinkers that have to play the 21 questions game.

Why would someone need an obvious reason not to smoke weed or drink? People are different and can live life how they want.

SNES Jr

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Listen, I am done. If you can't see how advising a sober person to take up weed for the fun of it is wrong, then it's on you. I don't want to engage on this further.

Mind if I ask how old you are?

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I started drinking and smoking when I was twelve, so no is the answer to your question. It was relatively common where I come from.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
ITT: "Why haven't you done a stupid thing? Everyone else has, what's wrong with you? How old are you? Justify yourself immediately!"

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Caffeine is absolutely more physically addictive than weed. You would know if you had even the smallest amount of personal experience with any of this.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
PSA to the thread; caffeine is a pyschoactive stimulant that can be physically addictive and in sufficient amounts is leathal. You can easily buy a lethal dose of caffeine via caffeine pills at any phramecy or supermarket. Thank you for your time.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
No alcohol, no cafeine, no smoking, no drugs.
And now lately, no soda (pepsi, coke.....), just fresh juice and water.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Weed can be addictive.

Not all addictions need to lead to complete ruin in order to be concerning or even debilitating.

Sex can be addictive too for example.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To each their own, but I'd never date someone who didn't drink unless it was for health reasons.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero interest in any of it. I try to avoid caffiene best I can.

My addiction is food but thankfully I can deal with it and keep healthy and at a good weight.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Half of this thread reads like an 80s DARE commercial full of misinformation, so maybe they have a point

I'd be lying if I said this didn't actually color some of my choices for a lot of my life. They DARE was a failure but it scared the shit out of me as a kid. It's taken me a long time to overcome some of the ideas I was exposed to, even when I know they're silly.

I'll admit to still being a bit scared of shit like weed, even though I know plenty of people who use it. I even voted for it to be legal here in California. But there's that little voice in my head that's like, "heroine is next if you try that shit." It's dumb, and I know it, but it definitely was part of what kept me away from like...any substance in high school.

I see other people smoke weed or drink or w/e and I don't really have a problem or apply these fears to them. But when it comes to myself, these dumb fears, along with some rational adult reasons, have kept me far away from that shit.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I've had very few drinks in my life and never really cared for alcohol. And I only tried weed once and that didn't really stick. I don't do either.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just want to add something to the conversation...

I've partaken - plenty - in all sorts of things (without getting specific). I never got addicted. Never had many issues.

But for me, personally, there's really no comparison to being completely sober and 100% in control of all your mental faculties. So I no longer do those things. And I'm happier overall. I just like to always have my brain at as close to 100% as possible and don't want to tamper with its natural dopamine levels.

But, there's nothing wrong with enjoying responsibly. There's also nothing wrong with completely abstaining. The fact that people "choose sides" on issues like this is dumb.

Addiction can also happen with any substance or behavior. So people saying weed isn't addictive need to check themselves. If gambling can be addictive, if sex can be addictive, if cutting yourself can be addictive, then yes, weed can be addictive. Just because you don't suffer from withdrawal doesn't make it non-addictive to every person. Different people have different reactions to different drugs.

That said, it's less harmful than most and should be legalized. Still, people saying it's completely harmless just because it results in no deaths or withdrawal need to check themselves. That's not the case for everyone. It can absolutely destroy ambition, result in low dopamine levels and lead to sleep disorders too.

The Statesman

Aug 5, 2018
Trumplandia
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Although some ignorant people think I smoke weed because I'm such a staunch advocate of legalization. Which ignores the logical consistency said position has with my overall posture on the criminal legal system, but I digress.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
There is a difference between questioning why and simply telling people to drink/smoke weed.

Here's the answer to that question, none of anyone's business. I also don't think its human nature to be nosy. Would you ask someone why they've never had chinese food or travelled on an airplane?

Plenty of people have never done things that are common, but its only non-drinkers that have to play the 21 questions game.

Why would someone need an obvious reason not to smoke weed or drink? People are different and can live life how they want.

I would also like to know why someone hasn't had Chinese food. It's so delicious.
I 100% trying something and not liking it, so never having it. Or having health/family/religious issues not to. But I still find the "never had it and never will" answers odd. Good on them though, they're healthier than most.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't think that's a problem. Like I said above, if you have legitimate issues, then yes, you should avoid drinking and drugs. But if you haven't tried it and are otherwise normal, I don't see the harm in it. And in fact, I think it can help in a lot of cases. It helped me. When I was young and growing up I never thought I would drink or smoke, and thought people who did it were losers. But at the same time, I struggled a lot in social situations and was generally awkward. When I got to college, I finally gave it a shot, and it made me much more comfortable talking to people and making friends. And that isn't just when I was drunk. Drinking and socializing with people made me more comfortable and confident when talking with them sober, and also more open when talking with people I didn't know sober. Assuming you don't have underlying issues with addiction or anything, the worst thing that happens is you try it one night and decide it's not for you.

DARE really did a number on you
What about the people who are comfortable in social situations or don't need the social lubricants?

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
This is one of those issues where some on both sides (talking in general, not this thread specifically) need to chill out.

Drinkers shouldn't be badgering non-drinkers about not drinking and trying to change their minds. Straight edge type shouldn't be all judgemental and preachy about drinking to drinkers--everyone knows it's not a healthy habit.

Just don't hang out with non-drinkers if you only want friends who drink and don't hang around with drinkers if you don't want to be be around drinkers at all. Social circles tend to form naturally that way anyway, at least for people who drink regularly and those who don't like to be around drinkers. Everyone in between seems perfectly able to mingle in mixed groups.

Our social circle is all drinkers, but it's just self selection as our social outings revolve around drinking. Be it dinner and drinks, drinks before and during shows/sporting events, brewery tours etc. No one would badger anyone who didn't drink though as we're all mid 30s and up and don't care what others do/don't do. There's been various times we (whole 30 diet or ill etc.) and others have went to things and not drank while others were drinking and no one said anything other than asking why once at the start (since they're used to us/whoever usually drinking). Of course, again, we're older and none of us are getting shit faced regularly or drinking all night etc. It's just most events involve having 2-4 drinks largely because we all love beer and/or wine for both taste and as social lubricant.