• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I don't drink - I find the taste of alcohol disgusting.

I don't smoke - Why would I want to kill myself faster and in a horrible manner? Plus why would I want to make me stink and my teeth yellow?

I don't do any drugs - never saw the benefit, especially when weighed against the drawbacks.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
My parents don't do either and never have, so neither appealed to me at all. I had my first drink when I was 25. I'll have a cider like once in a blue moon but that's it.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I used to smoke a bit of weed occasionally between the age of 18 - 22 but that was about once a week. I was never a big drinker, more just as a social thing and I gave up alcohol completely back in 2006 when I met my wife.

RetroGiant

Oct 25, 2017
I don't do either. 35. I've drank before. Never smoked even a cigarette my entire life. My parents smoked when I was a kid, hell my mom smoked with me while pregnant.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dad wasn't an alcoholic, but drank quite a bit, and he quit last year after being told by a doctor that it was basically killing him (liver problems). I didn't even try a cheapo margarita on my 21st Birthday, despite EVERYONE at the table — even those who don't drink — telling me I should "just have the one for my 21st."

Have lost three family members to smoking-induced cancer. I don't have even the slightest want to try a cig. They also reek, so that helps in the avoidance. Hate going to indoor family gatherings because of all the freaking chimneys that can't stop for three hours.

I have addictive personality, and am fighting a few of them right now. So even without the above reasons, I'd hope I'd still avoid them. But the above things are a factor, and they certainly make it all the easier to not go down a road someone with my personality shouldn't.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
My parents owned a restaurant so i saw people drinking and smoking all the time as a toddler. Alcohol and the smell of drunk people was never a mysterious thing or held any allure looking at it. It involved vomiting from what i could tell at that age and i hated nothing more in the world than getting sick and vomiting my insides out at that age and that hasn't changed. As for smoking well i've had asthma and multiple cases of pneumonia that hospilitzed me for months during elementary school so getting tobacco smoke blown to my face was actually offensive to me. Vape smoke at least smells funny and the big cloud of it are comical to me so i am fine with people doing that around me on train stops or whatever.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I saw my father slowly die from lung cancer so smoking was always a no for me and I've never been interested in drinking alcohol bar a little glass of whisky at Christmas.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I don't do either, mostly because it doesn't benefit my body in any way.
I try to live a healthy life, so since I was very young, I decided on that and I sticked with it.
I'm very happy with my decision.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Nope,maybe i drink a little for a special occasion but no more than that.
Everyone in my family is the same.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
I don't drink anymore as I don't find any benefit. I tried one cigarette and thought it was the nastiest thing ever. I'm with you, OP.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I've never smoked because it disgusts me. Really, can't stand the smell or the taste. The 2 or 3 times in my life I ever tried a cigarette was as a teenager, just to see what it was like. I almost ralphed one time and was sick the other 2 times. Can't stand it, so never again. Even if I did like it, the cost is so high that that alone would completely deter me. What is it nowadays, €6,- for a pack of cigarettes? That's nuts man. I literally donlt see any benefit to smoking. It kills ya, stinks, is expensive, makes your clothes reek, destroys the inside of your house. Why?

I like to drink every now and again, but if I drink beer I drink 2 max. Maybe a whiskey every now and again or a Jägermeister, but really very little all things considered.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
I've never understood people who aren't curious about the effects of drugs. I can understand not shooting heroin "out of curiosity" and I can understand not making drugs part of one's routine. But never getting drunk? Never smoking weed? Not even once a year? Once a decade?

It's just so fucking weird to me. Like...are people terrified or what?

I'm 40 currently. Never drunk, never touched a drug of any sort.

To ME, it's weird that people seemingly want to spend their lives in a haze fueled by booze and drugs.

I also don't want to put myself in a situation where I dont have total control over my actions.

Life is interesting enough that it doesnt need an "enhancer"

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't drink or smoke because I'm too concerned about dying an early death.
And smoking is just fucking disgusting to me to begin with sooo yea.

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
I'll have the occasional mixed drink or glass of wine, but beer has never appealed to me. And I have no interest in smoking or other tobacco products.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I grew up with my mother smoking, and then my brother and sisters got into it during their teens. I could never stand it and never started, and to this day it still makes me nauseous being around second hand smoke or someone who smells like tobacco or weed.

I never got into alcohol until my mid 20's. I would occasionally try a taste of wine or some mixed drinks, but hated the taste of beer. Eventually I got a taste for wine, and eventually having game night with friends introduced me to craft beers which I did come to enjoy during social occasions.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I didn't try alcohol until 23
I didn't smoke weed until 28

I was a DARE kid and dammit if it didn't work. Almost my entire family smoked my whole life and I always found it absolutely disgusting and had 0 interest in ever trying it, especially when I found out how unhealthy it was.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I never learned how to smoke properly so i never picked up the habit, and i don't like the taste of 90% of alcoholic drinks, so i ended up not picking either vice.

No moral high ground or anything, just not my preference.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I was completely sober until I was about 22 and learned weed helped my anxiety, but now I'm no longer in a legal state so I don't do anything.

Alcohol causes my chest extreme pain for some reason, so I cannot drink alcohol without that so I avoid it completely.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Just want to add something to the conversation...

I've partaken - plenty - in all sorts of things (without getting specific). I never got addicted. Never had many issues.

But for me, personally, there's really no comparison to being completely sober and 100% in control of all your mental faculties. So I no longer do those things. And I'm happier overall. I just like to always have my brain at as close to 100% as possible and don't want to tamper with its natural dopamine levels.

But, there's nothing wrong with enjoying responsibly. There's also nothing wrong with completely abstaining. The fact that people "choose sides" on issues like this is dumb.

Addiction can also happen with any substance or behavior. So people saying weed isn't addictive need to check themselves. If gambling can be addictive, if sex can be addictive, if cutting yourself can be addictive, then yes, weed can be addictive. Just because you don't suffer from withdrawal doesn't make it non-addictive to every person. Different people have different reactions to different drugs.

That said, it's less harmful than most and should be legalized. Still, people saying it's completely harmless just because it results in no deaths or withdrawal need to check themselves. That's not the case for everyone. It can absolutely destroy ambition, result in low dopamine levels and lead to sleep disorders too.

I used to self injure a lot so take it from me that cutting isn't the same type of addiction as nicotine. Not at all the physical dependency that some are claiming, not like nicotine, opioids or even alcohol.

Even self injuring results in a dependency because of your bodies natural reaction to injury and the natural painkillers and endorphins your body produces as a result. Kind of a like exercising.

I don't have to wake up and cut, thanks. Vape, yes because it's different.

You check yourself, btw. Commenting on addiction like your some fucking expert when you haven't been addicted to shit.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't, I find it disgusting.

To ME, it's weird that people seemingly want to spend their lives in a haze fueled by booze and drugs.

I also don't want to put myself in a situation where I dont have total control over my actions.

Life is interesting enough that it doesnt need an "enhancer"

Completely agree. I feel bad for the people for whom drinking or smoking themselves into a stupor every weekend is their only way out of the stress of everyday life. So many young people nowadays are borderline alcoholics.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I don't smoke, although I did try weed back in high school to shut my mom and cousin up. I have asthma, I don't really need any kinda smoke around me.

I don't drink because I don't like the taste, but also because my dad's side of the family drinks the shit like water and I hate what it has done to them and other family members. I've never once had a positive experience when alcohol was involved, and I try to stay away from it no matter what.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I only drink when I go to parties, and even then rarely more than one beer.

Never smoked.

Only drink coffee when I go out.

Sugar is gonna kill me though.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

They generally don't. There is a vast ocean between being a regular user of something and trying it once or twice.

Anyways, my conclusion some people are scared and have very distorted views of what drugs are and how they work.

More power to you, of course. There are plenty of un-curious people on earth and some of them are wise. Curiosity killed the cat after all.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
I just Vape now and that's only because I was a heavy cigarette smoker :(

I've seen the damage done by alcohol in the community and no longer drink.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I couldn't be an alcoholic even if I wanted to be. I get bloated after just a few drinks. I'm the same way with soda. The only drinks I enjoy are whiskey shots and gin/tonics, both of which I don't love the taste of.

I am known to get down on an edible when I have the house to myself though. I used to smoke instead, but after hurting my lungs during a forest fire a few years ago I've given that up entirely just to be safe because that sucked so bad. I just find that the sleep I get after one of those is so, so relaxing. I'm usually pretty restless, so a brownie and a night in watching shows or playing games is usually my preferred way to relax by myself. I'd say that only happens maybe once or twice a year. My wife is a government worker, so she's sworn it off, though is fine with me occasionally indulging, I just work and do way too much else to actually let that become a habit.

For me, that kind of use is fine, but for some other people in my life with actual mental illnesses and addictive personalities, it definitely wouldn't be. I don't like to talk about it at all in my daily life just out of respect for others, and honestly, it's just not a fun thing to talk about.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Never have smoked nor drank alcohol. The former, I have always hated the smell of it. The latter, my mother told me I couldn't drink since I have one kidney, but a doctor told me that wasn't true. That said, I'm still not interested in alcohol.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely don't smoke as I'm allergic and can barely stand to be in bars where smoking is allowed.. As for drinking, I normally don't because I don't like how it alters your state of mind. However, I will socially drink at a party or business social. I have to be careful as I don't drink often so I'm a lightweight when it comes to the amount of alcohol it takes to get me drunk.

Deleted member 39587

Banned
Feb 6, 2018
That's such a strawman. Drinking at social events doesn't "haze" your entire life. You get to experience "unfiltered" reality literally every day, every hour, every minute and damn can it be fuckin boring. If a temporary "haze" makes life a bit less "real", then that's exactly what I want.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I went to a cannabis cup this weekend and sampled/voted on over 40 kinds of weed Saturday night. I'm alive and remember it all.

It's cool if you don't want to do drink or smoke, but staying sober doesn't make anyone morally superior. Who's to say for sure that you're not the one missing out on what life has to offer?

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
They generally don't. There is a vast ocean between being a regular user of something and trying it once or twice.

Anyways, my conclusion some people are scared and have very distorted views of what drugs are and how they work.

More power to you, of course. There are plenty of un-curious people on earth and some of them are wise. Curiosity killed the cat after all.

I see no point in ingesting mind altering substances.
Be it snorting, smoking, or injecting.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I see no point in ingesting mind altering substances.
Be it snorting, smoking, or injecting.

Warning: sexually explicit (non-triggering) language below

I see no point in touching each other's genitals.
Be it penetrating, fellating or handjobs.

How hard would you roll your eyes at them?

To be clear. I don't endorse doing drugs. if I had to pick between being a teetotaler and between doing fun drugs with a 5% chance of becoming up an addict and having my life ruined, I'd take the former.

What I endorse is trying things before judging them.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Warning: sexually explicit (non-triggering) language below

I see no point in touching each other's genitals.
Be it penetrating, fellating or handjobs.

How hard would you roll your eyes at them?

To be clear. I don't endorse doing drugs. if I had to pick between being a teetotaler and between doing fun drugs with a 5% chance of becoming up an addict and having my life ruined, I'd take the former.

What I endorse is trying things before judging them.
Who's judging?
I don't care what YOU do. It's just not something I have any desire to do.

I assure you, i can have plenty of fun without any need for being drunk or high.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I never smoked anything ever.

I drink wine or fruity liquor at occasional get-togethers, but that's about it. I hardly ever drink.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
That's such a strawman. Drinking at social events doesn't "haze" your entire life. You get to experience "unfiltered" reality literally every day, every hour, every minute and damn can it be fuckin boring. If a temporary "haze" makes life a bit less "real", then that's exactly what I want.

Yup this is pretty much my take on the subject. I don't drink anywhere near as much now as I did when I was in my late teens to late 20's/early 30's. But back then it was pretty much every weekend Thursday - Sunday just getting on it. Some of the best nights of my life wouldn't of happened without the booze or drugs and I don't regret any of it.

Now though I'll generally have a couple and that's enough, but every now and again that little devil pops back up and I find myself in a nightclub at 4am wondering what the hell happened.

Oct 27, 2017
I always feel so out of touch with era when these threads pop up.

Like, I genuinely cannot imagine having a robust dating life in a bigger city and not drinking. It must be so difficult.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't, I find it disgusting.

Completely agree. I feel bad for the people for whom drinking or smoking themselves into a stupor every weekend is their only way out of the stress of everyday life. So many young people nowadays are borderline alcoholics.

This is exactly why I'd never date someone who doesn't drink. The judgment from nondrinkers! You go right on ahead feeling bad for all those folks who go out to bars and have fun. I mean, drink themselves into a stupor ;)

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
All of this, really.

I liken this to those threads where people complain that society shuns them for choosing not to have children. But at least in that case, people also do that for the propagation of our species, so there is a proper function for doing so. There is no real benefit to drinking or smoking/drugs to society at large. But that's not to say we should make it illegal; on the contrary. I get the recreational effects it has on individuals. I don't lament or critique other's rights to do so. I just find it odd that others would do that to me for choosing not to partake myself. I've been very fortunate to never have to run into that in real life. All of my friends, and the vast majority of people that I run into at bars, clubs and other public functions all show me the utmost respect for making this choice. Hell, some even envy my willpower, or say things equating to "You made the right choice". I can hang out with my friends no problem, even though I'm not drinking and they are, though they are all responsible enough to not get flaming drunk (though most of us are pushing 40 at this point, so they better have learned how to hold their liquor by now).

EXACTLY

Exactly

Is this how it feels when doves cry?

/End Simpsons Reference

No, no real curiousity about either alcohol, smoking, or drugs of any kind.

I have other hobbies that interest me, and take up my time. Like travelling, and trying to new places/foods/sports/events, etc.

Oh man, I went through a phase in college where I was addicted to Arizona Green Tea. Glad to know it wasn't just me. I also stopped drinking soda in college.

STOP READING MY MIND, CHARLES

But yeah, the thirst is real for an ice cold Arizona Green Tea can. I had a period of time where while I didn't drink anything like pop or other stuff like that, but Arizona Green Tea was my vice. Especially because the fucking cans were so cost efficienct as fuck. 99 cents for basically 750 ml of amazing taste, especially when chilled.

Been so long since I have had one now. Don't regret it, but it was hard letting go.

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly why I'd never date someone who doesn't drink. The judgment from nondrinkers!

You've got to be kidding me. The judgement is exactly the opposite, I assure you.
I drank alcohol for 24 years straight and not once did anyone make me justify that decision.
Then I quit drinking five months ago and now every single day some asshead is asking me questions about why I don't drink and making me justify it and looking down at me. Having been on both sides as a drinker and non-drinker, I now see how judgemental and crappy most drinkers can be. The fact that you won't even entertain the idea of dating someone who doesn't drink alcohol just proves my point.

Anyways, sorry for bumping this older thread but I couldn't find a catch all sober thread from searching. The real reason I bumped this before getting distracted by that post is to ask anyone that used to drink and stopped for some strategies they used for the first year? I'm doing well but always looking for some extra tips. It obviously takes getting used to and i would love to hear from anyone on here. Thanks!

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I don't do either.

The only drug I have is caffeine.

I drink coffee a few times a week.

Being my dad smokes it probably helped me to never try it.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
My mom was a heavy smoker and drinker growing up, so that pretty much killed my interest in both. It also helps that I find the taste of alcohol to be absolutely vile.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't smoke, tried it once and didn't like it at all and I drink very little, maybe a couple of pints a month, if I go out with friends. I find it all a waste of money tbh. I don't need lots of alcohol to have a good time and I'd rather spend my money on more important things.

When I was younger, it put me off seeing my friends go out, get drunk and then spending the next day being sick with a hangover, plus never have much money because they were always going out. Also having a bad hangover sucks, so that put me off even more.