• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It's funny how ever after Cloud, Ridley and Joker people still keep saying some things are impossible. I don't think it's going to happen but far stranger things have happened.
They're all video game characters that have appeared on the Nintendo platforms. Nothing has changed since the inclusion of 3rd party characters in Brawl.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how even after Cloud, Ridley and Joker people still keep saying some things are impossible. I don't think it's going to happen but far stranger things have happened.
Yes, all three of those were crazy. However they all still fit the criteria of having appeared on a Nintendo platform (mainly for Cloud and Joker), and Sakurai changing his mind about Ridley.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Avengers.jpg

Do it do it

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Well, all the characters so far have their origin in video games. That rule has not been broken yet.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
I think Sakurai would rather commit sudoku rather than deal with the licensing nightmare that is Disney. It would make Square's stingy rights handling look like child's play.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
If they did then who would be the most ambitious crossover in history???
It's not gonna happen.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If by the Avengers you mean the Wonderful 101, then yes

If by the Avengers you mean the Avengers, then hell no

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Pretty sure they also said that characters had to have appeared on a Nintendo platform, and that seems to have gone out the window with the Persona announcement.

Nope, that was never a requirement. Sakurai's exact words were:

"Manga characters will not join the battle (obviously).​
While it's true that we've added characters from other companies, it's not going to be anyone and everyone.​
Smash is a game that's made from everyone's effort. Both companies have to want the character to join the battle. I need them to let me take charge of the character. In order to fit the character into the world of Smash, I need them to allow me some artistic license.​
The character must carry game history with them. Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform."

Source. Translation.

MoonGirard

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Are the capcom characters banned from being shown hitting the marvel character if this happens?

The real question is how would the Music end up working like the great thing about Joker is getting Persona music as well but with a marvel character you get what a bunch of tracks pulled from UA3?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It's not happening, and Nintendo publishing some Marvel game isn't going to change that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If this happens, then the Goku fans would have some actual backing to their own crazy theories.

Let's keep it to just video game characters for now.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, it's going to happen, it was part of the agreement to allow Tingle to join the Avengers.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
No, they are not video game characters just like Goku is not a video game character.

Bugs Bunny, Shrek, Spongebob, Goku, and Captain America all have an equal chance of getting in Smash, aka zero.

Hell nah to superheroes but ngl Bugs Bunny and Spongebob sound like amazing additions to the smash bros cast. Would fit right in

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guessed this as well. Would make sense with a Nintendo funded Marvel game on the way.

I'm guessing Iron Man or Hulk.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'd say no, but is everyone saying no because of the 'rules'?

You already see there is some level of good relationship between Disney and Nintendo due to MUA exclusive (although I think it impacts Sora's chances a bit more)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Smash Bros: is a Nintendo crossover fighting game featuring a few guest characters from major Japanese gaming companies with close to Nintendo

Sakurai: adds another guest character from a major Japanese gaming company, one which has already let Nintendo work with two of their other characters, but this one is more recent and has a bit less of a connection to Nintendo than the rest

ERA: OMG ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Nintendo can afford RDJ. He alone is usually the entire cost of video game production these days in the first place.

Unless the Iron Man game you're pitching is one big FMV?
Yeah that's what I mean. If Iron Man got in (he's not getting in), he'd be voiced by a soundalike and I'd be bummed out just hearing it.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but Reggie was pushing the 'biggest crossover in entertainment history' angle
He said possibly the biggest crossover in entertainment history, because it either is or is very close to being that already. In no way what he said should be taken as "We're going to include everyone from everything!"

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Bros: is a Nintendo crossover fighting game featuring a few guest characters from major Japanese gaming companies with close to Nintendo

Sakurai: adds another guest character from a major Japanese gaming company, one which has already let Nintendo work with two of their other characters, but this one is more recent and has a bit less of a connection to Nintendo than the rest

ERA: OMG ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

This is seriously all as dumb as the Goku stuff.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear, "only video game characters" isn't just Sakurai sticking to Sakurai rules. At least part of it is rights negotiation. It's far easier for Sakurai to stick to his video game lane than attempt to branch out and get whatever parties needed on the same page just to get Goku or Spidey involved.

Thus concludes our daily PSA

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It may be worth noting that Reggie followed up the Joker announcement by saying to 'expect the unexpected' with their DLC picks.

My bets -
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Captain Marvel (or another Marvel rep)
- Scorpion (toned down, MK v DC style)

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
If he doesn't even thing manga characters shoild be in smash, why would he want western comic book characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.