• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the lifetime subscription for 75 bucks and one of the perks is their live tv and dvr functionality. I was wondering how well it works and if its worth getting a tuner and antenna for it.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I rarely watch it live but it works great through the Nvidia Shield TV when I do. Mostly I use it to DVR a ton of ota shows to my Plex server from my HD Homerun. Has been awesome for both purposes.

OP
OP
Brian McDoogle
Oct 25, 2017
I rarely watch it live but it works great through the Nvidia Shield TV when I do. Mostly I use it to DVR a ton of ota shows to my Plex server from my HD Homerun. Has been awesome for both purposes.
Which HD Homerun do you have? Also, the website talks about needing a subscription for the guide. Do you need this if you're using it through Plex?

Edit: Looks like the USB tuners that Plex support are all Windows only. Only the HD Homerun products work on Mac.

Last edited:

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got the lifetime subscription for 75 bucks and one of the perks is their live tv and dvr functionality. I was wondering how well it works and if its worth getting a tuner and antenna for it.

Good job on the lifetime plexpass...definitely the right way to go. There are a lot of resources and threads on Plex's forums for tv and dvr...there are still issues with it right now but it works okay and its plex so they will continue to work on it. If you decide to get an antenna and tuner for it i recommend either the 2 or 4 tuner hdhomerun. Let me know what other questions you have.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Which HD Homerun do you have? Also, the website talks about needing a subscription for the guide. Do you need this if you're using it through Plex?

Edit: Looks like the USB tuners that Plex support are all Windows only. Only the HD Homerun products work on Mac.

I have the HDHomeRun EXTEND, it's an older model, but it's worked well for me.

I've never had to pay extra for a guide, no, it just pulls it automatically through Plex with the lifetime pass.

OP
OP
Brian McDoogle
Oct 25, 2017
Good job on the lifetime plexpass...definitely the right way to go. There are a lot of resources and threads on Plex's forums for tv and dvr...there are still issues with it right now but it works okay and its plex so they will continue to work on it. If you decide to get an antenna and tuner for it i recommend either the 2 or 4 tuner hdhomerun. Let me know what other questions you have.
What is the difference between the 2 or 4 tuner? Is it just number of devices that can simultaneously view live TV? Also, one of the models has hardware encoding; is that important with Plex?

Plaguefox

Oct 27, 2017
I regret nothing in my life more than when I passed up the one opportunity Plex has ever graced me with for their $75 lifetime pass. I've been waiting—years—since then, and the closest I've ever seen is $120. A pox on their account-based discount system.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the difference between the 2 or 4 tuner? Is it just number of devices that can simultaneously view live TV? Also, one of the models has hardware encoding; is that important with Plex?

So yeah the main difference between 2 and 4 is the amount of streams/recordings you can run at the same time. The one that has the hardware encoding, the extend, is useful based on what your hardware is. Some devices will not play mpeg2 for the live tv stream so your server would have to do real-time re-encoding of the stream in order for that device to watch live tv. With the Connect 2 or 4 tuner which does not do the hardware transcoding...you can choose to have it transcode to h264 as it records the episodes but that requires a good amount of cpu power. This allows you to store the episodes is smaller, more compatible files. The Extend is more expensive so its up to your hardware and priorites.

I regret nothing in my life more than when I passed up the one opportunity Plex has ever graced me with for their $75 lifetime pass. I've been waiting—years—since then, and the closest I've ever seen is $120. A pox on their account-based discount system.

I got it for 75 as i bought it a long time ago...but i would buy it for 120 or even more without hesitation.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I know this is a bit of a necro bump, but thought id let you know, had an email yesterday with a discount code to get a lifetime plex pass for $75 (email was in my junk folder). You might have one too ?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I know this is a bit of a necro bump, but thought id let you know, had an email yesterday with a discount code to get a lifetime plex pass for $75 (email was in my junk folder). You might have one too ?

Nice, for $75, it's a no brainer, especially with all of the features they've added over the past year or so. I pretty regularly DVR OTA stuff using Plex and my HD Homerun, as well as having a pretty big movie library at this point at my fingertips on multiple devices in my home and when I'm on the road.

Plaguefox

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, I totally forgot about this post already. A few months back I did receive one of their $75 lifetime promotions, and I did take them up on the offer. At present I'm not 100% certain I'm actually using any of the Plex Pass benefits beyond reorganizing my music collection with their premium scraper, but it's done!