• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Around 2000, there was a company called Indrema, and their L600 console. It would take on XBOX head on, and also compete with PS2, with their own PC-based game console, the L600, intended to launch in 2001. This was years before the first announcement of Infinium Labs' Phantom console which was not related to Indrema's L600.

Article is from NextGen April 2001.

LHTFKBB.jpg

qNls4nW.jpg

BaCkJgA.jpg

5j2aUqV.jpg

zQhuRl4.jpg

V5HI3y9.jpg

phQE4da.jpg

M4bKPeA.jpg

Recently, when I heard about Slightly Mad Studios and their Mad Box console, I cannot help but to think of Indrema / L600 and Infinium Labs' Phantom.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What surprises me here the most is the theoretical polygon rate of 6 to 12 million/sec for the Gamecube and 150 million for the Xbox and still, Resident Evil 4 was the graphical showcase of that gen.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
What surprises me here the most is the theoretical polygon rate of 6 to 12 million/sec for the Gamecube and 150 million for the Xbox and still, Resident Evil 4 was the graphical showcase of that gen.

Well, the 150M polygons/sec for Xbox is only comparable to Gamecube's 90M polygons/sec (according to Matt C on IGN) both raw performance figures not really meaningful.

Gamecube's 6-12M polys/sec was with all features on, in actual games, where Xbox could do maybe 20-30M.

Teelie

Jan 4, 2019
I vaguely remember hearing of it a few years ago but the Phantom was definitely the more infamous vaporware I know of. That Mad Box is just continuing a tradition of pretend consoles that will never see the light of day.

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
"It's not a DVD system", he says, showcasing the console with a DVD symbol dead centre

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I vaguely remember hearing of it a few years ago but the Phantom was definitely the more infamous vaporware I know of. That Mad Box is just continuing a tradition of pretend consoles that will never see the light of day.

Probably true. I think Samsung is probably the only company that would have a chance at a serious hardcore console that could take on PlayStation and Xbox.
I don't see Google, Apple or Amazon doing anything other than streaming or cheap/weak microconsoles.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Sure.
There were so many released and unreleased consoles back in the days.
About the unreleased console the first names that sprung my mind are Panasonic M2, Namco console, Konami console, Taito console (wowow), Hasbro's VR console (Rush / Toaster), Ericson Red Jade that should have compete with the GBA...

Taito Wowow
900x.jpg

Ericson Red Jade
redjade2.jpg

Panasonic M2
images

Hasbro Toaster
28sED2f.jpg

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

lol. in what world was resident evil 4 the graphical showcase of that gen? the xbox had doom 3, riddick, halo 2, choas theory etc which were all technically superior games. i'm surprised stuff like chaos theory and doom 3 even managed to get ported to that system.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
lol. in what world was resident evil 4 the graphical showcase of that gen? the xbox had doom 3, riddick, halo 2, choas theory etc which were all technically superior games. i'm surprised stuff like chaos theory and doom 3 even managed to get ported to that system.
Maybe in his bubble. You forget Ninja Gaiden too, leagues ahead any CG game ever came.