• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?

• I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem

Votes: 321 20.8%
  • I didn't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem

Votes: 174 11.3%
  • I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now

Votes: 748 48.6%
  • Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved

Votes: 297 19.3%

• Total voters

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I think Apex has little influence on Anthem.

One is a FPS competitive Battle Royale. The other is PVE 3rd person shooter/looter.

I was personally put off by Anthem after the technical test. Really dissappointed.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're two different games though?

The real question I think is what impact it'll have on Battlefield's BR mode.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I'm not saying there is no overlap. I'm simply saying it's not big enough to hurt Anthem or Apex.

Destiny and The Division are far bigger threats to Anthem than Apex is. The majority of the people who are gonna buy Anthem day one and buy microtransactions are gonna be people who like loot shooters, not Battle Royal fans.
That is true, it may not be enough I am not 100% convinced it may hurt titsome. I think Anthem will do fine but not great, based off the quality of the demo. We will see.

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying it won't have an impact are crazy. There is only so many dollars and hours to go around. If all of your friends are playing a game right now then it's way less likely you're going to buy something else right now. Like there's a reason everyone tried to avoid releasing their game around COD for ages

Horrible comparison. CoD cost the same amount as those other games, which means they were competing for your dollar. Not only are these two games not even remotely similar, but you can buy Anthem and play Apex for free. They don't compete from either a gameplay or financial perspective.

Zero impact.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Apex is.more satisfying. Anthem plays, looks and feels boring from the demo. I really hope thats not the case but I have origin premier so it don't really matter

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I do not think Apex will kill it. Those who were already interested in Anthem were going to get it and those on the fence I feel Apex will not make their decision lean either way.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
To the people saying they are different games, genres, etc... when it comes to big AAA titles it comes down to time, unless you have a lot of cash to throw at games at a time and can clone yourself to play multiple games it all comes down to time and which game earns your time and therefore money.

Apex could definitely affect sales for Anthem, or at least postpone them for a while until the hype and word of mouth settles on Apex.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I played Alex a few times, seriously, I don't understand what all the fuss is about. It's just OK, competent, whatever, throw it in the pile of BR things streamers can use to line pockets with the help of gullible followers.

Or maybe I'm crazy 🤪

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
totally different genre. If anything it'll help Anthem as people will see advertising on Origin when they go play Apex. BFVBR is likely screwed.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anthem killed my hype for Anthem just fine on its own. I may pick it up later after some updates.

Apex is awesome and a really different thing, but it is what I'm currently playing.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Apex is not even on my radar. I love Respawn, but battle royale is not something that really appeals to me.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I've seen this come up a few times lately, and I'm not convinced they have a ton of overlap.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, but it does kill Battlefields BR mode.
Lets see it first. BF BR will be alot different also then Apex. It will not be as huge as Apex and Fortnite because its not free and its a gamemode and not a full game.
But last week nobody though Apex was gonna rival Fortnite. But here we are. There is always room and a audience.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Totally understand. The poll though... I think there may be more impact than you think
You're polling a forum that nearly every year has a not-small amount of users saying that CoD is dead and BR is just a passing fad. There's a pretty big bubble effect around here. The simple fact that so many people will be getting blitzed with ads for Anthem via the launcher while loading Apex will get a lot of folks to try it out. Then you add in people who were already interested in Anthem, who were likely not super interested in PvP, or at least didn't see it as necessary since Anthem doesn't have it.

Both games are gonna be fine. Both are gonna sell tons (Well, Apex will sell loot boxes/skins, Anthem copies of the game/cosmetics).

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
Where's the "I don't care about Apex and I'm still getting Anthem" option?

Last edited:

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
One is a PvP first person Battle Royale game. The other is a PvE third person RPG game. This is a pretty silly question, as they're two completely separate games aimed at completely separate audiences.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I don't think Apex will affect Anthem at all (if it fails, it's not due to that).
I think it'll be a problem for Firestorm/BFV though.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
True, but some people like both.
And there is only so much time you can play a games.
That's the problem for me.

I would love Anthem, but now i rather wait until the controls feel better on PC.
Or hope i get it cheap on Xbox later. But I'm now against my initial plan of subscribing to Origin Access Premier for the early access on PC.

You don't have to play a game the moment it comes out or the moment its "hot," you can always come back and play it later. There's always time. I enjoy both and I plan to play both - one with friends against other people, one with friends against raid bosses n shit.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
That's literally the second option...

No, he's saying there's no option for not caring about Apex (as in, having never played it). The second option is for not liking Apex.

There is going to be a substantial portion of players interested in Anthem that will never play Apex, is his point I take it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Why are these being compared? Apples and oranges. One is even free.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Apex hurts Anthem in the same way that any game can hurt any other game. But they aren't in the same genre and aren't part of the same perspective.

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
That's literally the second option...

Yeah I worded that poorly. My sentiment was that I was never interested in it to begin with. I think the way that option is worded implies one has tried it first and didn't like it. I think they are two totally different beasts and it's naive to assume that just due to popularity of BR games (and that it's free) that everyone has at least tried it.

Nov 3, 2017
Like many things on this forum, this feels like something only video game enthusiasts care about.

Different gameplay models, aesthetics and monetisation. About the only similarities they have is that both have guns and are published by EA.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
ITT I learned that there's zero overlap between 2 FPS shooters in future settings

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I'm certain the negative recepton to Anthem and the sudden release of Apex was not a coincidence.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
regardless of how much of an influence you think apex has on anthem this poll doesn't come close to asking that question.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
if Antehm turns out to be a humiliating failure, it wont be due to Apex. Cant help but think an extra month or two of polish would serve Anthem well, let it go up against Division 2. I do think Apex is going to hamstring Battlefield Vs br.