• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?

• I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem

Votes: 321 20.8%
  • I didn't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem

Votes: 174 11.3%
  • I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now

Votes: 748 48.6%
  • Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved

Votes: 297 19.3%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
With Apex cold launching this month to wonderful reviews and word of mouth do you feel it will hurt Anthem's launch success? I am having so much fun with Apex right now that I don't know if I want to brave the poor fps waters of Anthem after that beta.

EA is kind of in a weird situation where the game they marketed to hell and back is going to get stomped by their wildcard entry.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Not even the same genre... doubt it will have much impact on Anthem one way or the other.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Considering how they are completely different kind of games I dont see how .. Not everybody likes PVP games.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
There's no PVP in Anthem so they both don't cater to the same crowd. I don't think it will matter. If anything, it makes EA look good now.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like it might. Ironic that Respawn are now the ones stealing the thunder of an ill-timed EA release.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Apex helps Anthem.
The amount of users origin has gotten thanks to Apex will also help Anthem because its in the same ecosystem.

Only thing that kills Anthem is Anthem itself.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
One is game that deals with long term progression, the other does not.

The looter shooter audience will take care of Anthems launch just fine.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
This is thread #3 on this holy shit

In what way does a F2P competitive battle Royale eats interest away from a $60 Diablo like

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
They're very different kinds of games, they also have different types of audiences that want different things out of each. So I would say absolutely not, Fortnite didn't seem to kill any games last year. The opposite effect really, it helped grow the market.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
In a practical standpoint, no. This has been already discussed since Apex is pure PvP while Anthem is PvE. The key word is that Apex SHOULDN'T affect Anthem, but we'll see. Personally I have no interest in Anthem whatsoever, but having a lot of fun with Apex.

Oct 27, 2017
I was super hyped on Anthem before apex surprise released, and now im over 100+ hours into apex and I know ill still play Anthem. At this point I feel like my struggle will be finding time to play this with friends because it looks like everyone is hooked on Apex right now.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I do think it will have some impact...you are still competing for peoples time and they only have so much.... There are people who like some Br or PVP and still like PVe.....like me for instance. After saying that if Anthem falters I don't think it will be because of Apex:

PVP vs PVE game

yes

/s
I play both though...

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I don't think the two games overlap as much as you think they do. They're both technically shooters with hero abilities and "loot", but that's basically where the similarities end.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
People saying it won't have an impact are crazy. There is only so many dollars and hours to go around. If all of your friends are playing a game right now then it's way less likely you're going to buy something else right now. Like there's a reason everyone tried to avoid releasing their game around COD for ages

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think in some ways it distracts from the hype, but in the end one is a 100% PvP Battle Royal first person shooter. The other is 100% PvE Looter shooter with a story and focus on abilities. Going to the two games for completely different experiences.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that Apex killed is the second wind of Sea of Thieves. But only for now. Let's wait a month to see where all the service games are at. Honeymoon periods can be deceiving.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
They are not even the same genre, unless you consider all shooters to be the same. I really don't get this line of thinking in regards to these two games.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
People saying it won't have an impact are crazy. There is only so many dollars and hours to go around. If all of your friends are playing a game right now then it's way less likely you're going to buy something else right now.
I agree with you I think people are brushing this off too easily, not sure how much impact but there will be some imo.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I think Apex would've really hurt Anthem if that game relied on PVP. As it stands, though, I think they complement each other very well.

If you were to ask me about Battlefield V Battle Royale, however...

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
It all comes down to the final product.

If it's a great game millions will buy it but if either okay or bad... goodbye EA 6 million estimation.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem doesn't need any help killing player interest. It's doing that just fine.

RIP BFV BR tho. Rememebr that game?

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
No.

Anthem is for everyone interested in the game at their own pace.

Apex is for, and I apologize for the blanket statement and I will try to be diplomatic with this: Younger gamers and full time streamers. It's been a week, those of us with jobs, families, kids etc already missed the boat, I enjoyed it last week but know that if I hop on now I'm not going to have a great time. You need to be a full time gamer to really enjoy the full benefits of F2P otherwise the ship sails away and your skill set is too newb to even learn.

"Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved"

Definitely waiting for reviews, but does anyone really wait for a DF breakdown before a purchase?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing how a Battle Royal game and a PvE loot shooter would hurt one another.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No PVP will likely be the thing that kills Anthem, but EA will get their seed money.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I don't know, but if Anthem fails I think it will be more of an EA killed it with a bad beta and monetization controversies before it even launches.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
They are two different games. Apex is pure pvp, Anthem has zero pvp. One is a loot shooter with an actual story, another is solid battle royale.

People can play both, it's not hard considering apex is free.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's doing neither. Saying Apex is killing Fortnite is like saying Killzone is killing Halo. They're both the same genre and not everyone is going to suddenly drop one game just to play the other.
Wishful thinking. Apex currently has 2x as many viewers on Twitch than Fortnite. It's just one measure, but it makes me hopeful. Or at least all the children will start on Fortnite and Apex will foster a more mature playerbase. A man can dream.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pvp isn't my favorite, I do it as little as possible in destiny. Tried 1 round of Apex and I can see it's great but not my thing. Really look8ng forward to anthem next week.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
I have a limited time per day per week to game between responsibilities. Right now I've definitely cooled on Anthem from a hyped day one to a 'Wait and See', if you asked me right now to play more of what I did get a chance to demo for Anthem, versus playing more Apex, I'd answer Apex in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Anthem still looks to be fun and I'm a sucker for Mecha games so I'll end up getting it at one point or the other, but unless day one impressions are insanely positive my time is tied to Apex.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem doesn't need any help killing player interest. It's doing that just fine.

RIP BFV BR tho. Rememebr that game?

BFV is fine. People need to stop acting like that game is dead or something. BFV is very active. I play on PC and Xbox.
BF BR will also be different then the other BR games out there. Also its a gamemode in a MP game with alot of other gamemodes and not a standalone game.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Two completely different games why would it even kill Anthem? I'm playing Apex and still waiting for Anthem..

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People just want to shoot at shit for hours on end. It's that simple. A lot of us are used to both pvp and PvE. We can prefer one game over the other instead of pulling the "they're totally different" card.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Anthem is fun as hell, and Apex isn't going to do anything to it. Two entirely different types of games. One's PVE and one's PVP. that's like saying "does For Honor kill Assassin's Creed Odyssey?"

No, no it does not.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've said this once on the anthem thread and I still stand by it, even if they're not exactly alike, they're both shooters, they're both time-consuming and they're both AAA releases. One is free and is shaping up to be a major hit. Yes, Apex will lower Anthem sales. We'll never know for sure, but I have a feeling it will.
People on reset era have a hard time distacing themselves from the average gamer, the average gamer doesn't have the time or money to play 2 major releases on the same month.