• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?

• I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem

Votes: 321 20.8%
  • I didn't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem

Votes: 174 11.3%
  • I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now

Votes: 748 48.6%
  • Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved

Votes: 297 19.3%

• Total voters

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
What's your feedback? I looked at it from the perspective of those of us potentially interested in both.
Yeah the responses in this thread are crazy weird..I play both types of games and am not alone...Netflix said recently they are more effected by Fortnite then like competition...People only have so many hours, could see an impact imo.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like regardless of how you feel about anthem, they're not really the same thing.

i think DICE probably has more reason to be peeved considering they have a BFV battle royale mode coming soon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this as having any impact whatsoever on Anthem's sales, but I do see a lot of people making a false connection between *poor* Anthem sales (if it sells poorly) and the release of Apex.

One is a competitive multiplayer BR game that is F2P (meaning, it's not even taking money out of peoples' wallets), and the other is a cooperative looter shooter with no competitive aspect whatsoever.

The only thing they will compete for is peoples' time.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apex is certainly helping to get more eyes on Anthem, considering it's brought millions of new users to Origin.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
People saying it won't have an impact are crazy. There is only so many dollars and hours to go around. If all of your friends are playing a game right now then it's way less likely you're going to buy something else right now. Like there's a reason everyone tried to avoid releasing their game around COD for ages

Yeah but there's also different people with different interests. I don't think the people who are so into Apex they'll dump a ton of money into it are the same people that'll buy Anthem day 1.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to play anthem at launch with the origin access thing.. but apex is taking up so much of my time that I don't care about Anthem anymore. Apex + destiny 2 is all i need for now

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. They're different games. Don't think you can directly compare a PVP FPS and a PVE TPS. They both scratch a different itch.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Even EA gets that they are completely different

I'm sure Apex eat more fortnight playtime

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Anthem is fun as hell, and Apex isn't going to do anything to it. Two entirely different types of games. One's PVE and one's PVP. that's like saying "does For Honor kill Assassin's Creed Odyssey?"

No, no it does not.
True, but some people like both.
And there is only so much time you can play a games.
That's the problem for me.

I would love Anthem, but now i rather wait until the controls feel better on PC.
Or hope i get it cheap on Xbox later. But I'm now against my initial plan of subscribing to Origin Access Premier for the early access on PC.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
They scratch very different itches. Cool loot game with no PVP vs a PVP battle Royale game.

I like Apex alright and will still get Anthem if it reviews ok and some friends get it.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing how a Battle Royal game and a PvE loot shooter would hurt one another.

GaaS by design is about retaining players, incentivizing sticking with one game instead of moving on. It's not a complete overlap, there are obviously people who just want PvE or PvP but they're both games geared toward playing with friends and I doubt there will be many people trying to keep up with both.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Anthem to explore a world, experience a story, and be a mecha wizard. For me, the appeal is very different between the two games. But we all only have limited time, so I do understand the concern. I personally just don't view them in the same manner.

Also for me (maybe not true for the general populace), I have no issue with picking up one of the games later. Even if I'm too busy to play one at launch, I wouldn't worry about trying it out later. (I get that for multiplayer-dependent games, being there at launch is a good time to play, so maybe I'm approaching this in the wrong way.)

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't think Apex completely killed hype for Anthem - as the beta for Anthem did a very solid job of kneecapping my interest on it's own. Slow combat, awful UI, and uninspired visuals just gave me nothing to latch onto. It's the perpetual boredom of Destiny, with the mild thrill of Bungie's combat completely excised.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I know it have given me second thoughts about getting Anthem at launch, still not sure if I will.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
You are missing the option "Was never interested in Anthem or BR games but now I like Apex" :)
I picked the third option.

I'm very anti-mp anti-fps usually but it's done well in apex. The ping system is a godsend for those of us that hate chat and voice in modern times.
I bought the founders pack a bit earlier today.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Apex is free. It's not really taking away money that would of been spent on Anthem....also now tons of people have Origin on their PC.....

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
On PC at least I think it will help because it has players engaged within Origin. Anybody who wants Anthem on PC is already getting it. On console its another story.

Oct 25, 2017
What's your feedback? I looked at it from the perspective of those of us potentially interested in both.
Yeah, that was a bit of a shitpost — that's on me.

The choices pack so much assumed knowledge into them that it's hard to work out what the results will mean. Like, a "I'm waiting for reviews" option with no qualification, and/or a "I don't think this affected my excitement either way" option might give you a better picture of how people are feeling. Even if that's boring, it'll filter out all the people who don't really give a shit who might just pick an option for the hell of it (ie the "Thor dark world" choice).

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
It's a bit premature to even gauge Apex's ability to retain its own players, much less how it will impact Anthem. From personal experience Apex went from "wow fun!" to "over it" in less than a week. I know I won't be the only one. Additionally, we don't even know the overlap of audiences interested in both.

The only thing I know for sure is there's no way on hell Apex "kills" Anthem and can only conclude the title was made for clickbait.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
no. but the combination of Anthem and Apex kill Destiny 2. barely played it this month because of these games.
im sure Apex hurt division 2's beta. I forgot all about it. Crackdown in trouble...but that was always in trouble

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
As an old man that occasionally yells at passing clouds I just can't get into basic BR gameplay loop cause well, I suck and die too much lol. So that being that, I don't care for the nature of waiting for current round to end for respawn inherent to BR games so Anthem appeals to me a lot more. Plus dat verticality is pretty sweet. In my limited time with Apex though it really is one of the best feeling shootbangs I've played, got that wonderful Titanfall DNA in it. The movement, performance, and responsivenss is just leagues above other stuff out there, I wish more games could capture Respawn's control model.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was super hyped on Anthem before apex surprise released, and now im over 100+ hours into apex and I know ill still play Anthem. At this point I feel like my struggle will be finding time to play this with friends because it looks like everyone is hooked on Apex right now.
How have you clocked up over 100 hours in a week? Consider going outside from time to time.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
GaaS by design is about retaining players, incentivizing sticking with one game instead of moving on. It's not a complete overlap, there are obviously people who just want PvE or PvP but they're both games geared toward playing with friends and I doubt there will be many people trying to keep up with both.

My point is the audience for both games is completely different. The people who want a F2P BR aren't the same people that want a $60 loot shooter. Sure there is some overlap, but I don't think it's big enough to kill one game or the other.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
On PC at least I think it will help because it has players engaged within Origin. Anybody who wants Anthem on PC is already getting it. On console its another story.

Didn't even think about this, but yea, I've been in Origin a whole lot more lately (doubt I even opened it in 2018) due to Anthem and now Apex. I think they are two very different games. I'll play Apex for the competition, and Anthem for the loot grind.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
My point is the audience for both games is completely different. The people who want a F2P BR aren't the same people that want a $60 loot shooter. Sure there is some overlap, but I don't think it's big enough to kill one game or the other.
No it isn't.. I am in both games camp, as are a couple of my friends... Are you guys seriously arguing there is no over lap in these two games or that BR is 100% casuals?

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
I think it's easy to say that because they're kind of different genre, there's little crossover, but I think it's gonna hurt anthem in it's infancy. Fact is, most people just want a game to shoot and talk over at the same time, both Apex and Anthem serve that purpose. One is free and has a bunch of great press, while the other is $60 minimum and has had nothing but poor press, on top of a demo that performed terribly.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Totally understand. The poll though... I think there may be more impact than you think

Lots of people are hostile to Anthem. It doesn't have much to do with Apex. Anthem's problem is that its demo was a big mess.

(And also that people here really hate Bioware and/or EA, but that's less relevant to the actual success of the game)

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Makes sense that a competitive battle Royale FPS would take away from the same exact people as a cooperative PVE TPS looter shooter

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Anthem doesn't need any help killing player interest. It's doing that just fine.

RIP BFV BR tho. Rememebr that game?
I don't understand this. Positive user engagement across social media for Anthem is very high from everywhere I've looked from Twitter to Facebook to YouTube...

And Battlefield V is very active as well. Tons of people play it.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
With Apex cold launching this month to wonderful reviews and word of mouth do you feel it will hurt Anthem's launch success? I am having so much fun with Apex right now that I don't know if I want to brave the poor fps waters of Anthem after that beta.

EA is kind of in a weird situation where the game they marketed to hell and back is going to get stomped by their wildcard entry.
pp550x550.jpg

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the little I played of Apex but the game is def out of my league. Even the folks I usually play OW and WF with are wary of getting into Apex. We all aged into the comfort of Co-op and easier FPSs and everyone in my gaming group is looking forward to Anthem. So different target audiences, I believe.

I will jump late in the bandwagon though: Apex ping system needs to be replicated EVERYWHERE. It's better than mic comm, no more stoned or salty comments, just straight info.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
I love Apex but I'm really hyped and excited for Anthem, there's just something about the gameplay, the mix between flying, feeling like Iron Man, the controls, the pretty graphics that is such an amazing experience for me. I played on PC with a controller and 60+ FPC mind you.

I had RE2Remake ready to play for that weekend but I spend all of it playing Anthem instead. I need to organize my time between Metro, Anthem and Apex and RL after the 15th.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I think it's easy to say that because they're kind of different genre, there's little crossover, but I think it's gonna hurt anthem in it's infancy. Fact is, most people just want a game to shoot and talk over at the same time, both Apex and Anthem serve that purpose. One is free and has a bunch of great press, while the other is $60 minimum and has had nothing but poor press, on top of a demo that performed terribly.

Anthem has actually been generating a ton of good press over the past month or so. The VIP demo was their first real misstep (and a substantial one).

Hell, even YouTube comments are positive for Anthem.

Aug 26, 2018
With Apex cold launching this month to wonderful reviews and word of mouth do you feel it will hurt Anthem's launch success? I am having so much fun with Apex right now that I don't know if I want to brave the poor fps waters of Anthem after that beta.

EA is kind of in a weird situation where the game they marketed to hell and back is going to get stomped by their wildcard entry.

It will take away some Sales from Anthem for sure. Not sure of how much Twitch contributes to sales but I assure you, no one is dumping Apex for Anthem atleast for the next month. So, Anthem's first week sales will be soft.

Also, the MP Beta didn't really impress a lot of people, reaction was mixed which will also make its launch sales weaker.

For Bioware's sake, I hope it reviews and sells great.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Competitive shooters and loot shooters are very different things. There will probably be some overlap that gets people to shift priorities, but I don't think it's some sort of deathknell for one or the other.

The only thing that can kill Anthem is Anthem.
Third-person games make for pretty bad FPSes, to be fair.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's completely killed any interest I had in Anthem or Division 2. Having too much fun with Apex right now to drop $60 on either game.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about Apex but I'm waiting to see what becomes of Anthem. I might consider it if there's enough content a few months later.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
No it isn't.. I am in both games camp, as are a couple of my friends... Are you guys seriously arguing there is no over lap in these two games or that BR is 100% casuals?

I'm not saying there is no overlap. I'm simply saying it's not big enough to hurt Anthem or Apex.

Destiny and The Division are far bigger threats to Anthem than Apex is. The majority of the people who are gonna buy Anthem day one and buy microtransactions are gonna be people who like loot shooters, not Battle Royal fans.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
if anything Apex paved the road for Anthem.

Imagine the amount of people who opened origin this week or are interacting with EA's services in general. If Anthem can't make it then something is very wrong with the game