• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?

• I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem

Votes: 321 20.8%
  • I didn't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem

Votes: 174 11.3%
  • I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now

Votes: 748 48.6%
  • Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved

Votes: 297 19.3%

• Total voters

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Currently in love with Apex Legends and played the shit out of both Anthem betas and can't wait till Friday. They are nothing like each other minus the EA splash screen on boot up

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
They are two different games. I'm sure that if EA thought if Apex was going to make a massive impact against Anthem, they would have held off on the game's release. Otherwise, I would argue that Apex would have a better chance killing the other BR games before Anthem (and even that's a stretch to declare).

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta be honest with you I don't see how a free to play battle royale game is going to affect a loot based rpg shooter in any way.

OP
OP
GUNDAM STARDUST
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I can tell you guys that for many of us there is an absolute overlap. I play games in all disciplines so all games compete for my time. If you release a killer game that I like I might play that for a month and wait til later to play your other offerings.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I haven't played Apex but I asked my brother about it (he's been all over it since launch) and he called it the Fortnite killer. So I think that's more apt since they're in the same genre.
Maybe the PUBG killer? PUBG launched on PS4 last month and literally nobody cared

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
If Anthem fails, it's on Anthem. It's reputation was already entering a tailspin before Apex. And if any game stands to twist the knife in it, it's The Division 2, not Apex. That's where the real overlap lies. That and the fact that Destiny fans seem really happy with Destiny right around the time Anthem was hoping to scoop a good chunk of them up.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like BR games are just gonna come and go.

Like CoD blackout, no one is watching that game on twitch anymore

don't think Apex will have the staying power either tbh

amyway oh right Anthem, I forgot about it already

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I can tell you guys that for many of us there is an absolute overlap. I play games in all disciplines so all games compete for my time. If you release a killer game that I like I might play that for a month and wait til later to play your other offerings.

I would suggest given what you've said that creating this thread a week after Apex launches is not going to tell us much. If you play Apex for a month and then play Anthem, that's still basically within its release window.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There's no story driven content or large scale MMOish features in Apex is there? Totally different games and audiences. One is 1st person other is 3rd, which is a huge divide in taste as well.

I have literally zero interest in Apex since I don't do MOBA(ish) or 1st person games.

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of think it has for me. I was planning on getting EA access or buying Anthem as my new Feb game day 1. Apex came out and that's all I'm playing right now. Purchased some coins so I could unlock the other two characters (Mirage and Caustic). Going to now hold off on Anthem for a bit.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Was going to buy Anthem but I'm going to drop that money into Apex mtx instead, respawn deserve it.

Hawkeye 131

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They're two completely different types of games. Sure they're competing for roughly the same audience but kind of apples to oranges no? A Free-to-play PvP BR game and a Third-person PvE looter shooter. I guess Anthem has a slight advantage of coming out a few weeks later plus the additional awareness from months of marketing, advertising and exposure from the Demo and Alpha.

I'm willing to bet Anthem is going to have it's own fair share of problems and issues. BioWare is the third major studio to take a crack at the whole looter-shooter genre and I'm willing to bet just like Bungie and Massive, their first attempt isn't going to go off without a hitch.

The private Alpha and the Demo were each fairly mediocre in my opinion. The traversal system and flying mechanics were solid but the gameplay was just the most mundane, mediocre and uninteresting nonsense I've seen in awhile. The guns didn't feel unique, intriguing or have impact. The ultimate abilities were OK but the other abilities felt completely pedestrian. The AI were absolutely brain dead and I can only imagine the variety of technical issues, glitches and problems that await earlier adopters.

Maybe I'm wrong, but aside from exploring the world there's just not a whole lot that really excites me about Anthem. Certainly not worthy of a Day-1 purchase in my eyes I'll check back in 6 months.

Oct 28, 2017
I've got EA Access so I'll find out how the release build of the game actually runs on the Xbox before I make my final judgement on the game.
But Apex and Anthem are not at all similar.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's true, but don't you think the playerbase will be too fragmentated between three games from the same company?

Dont think being of the same company matters much. :)
Apex can be their main BR game and their "fortnite"
Anthem is their 3rd person looter shooter
BFV is their typical BF game with a added BR mode wich will be alot different then Apex. More focused on the PUBG crowd i think.

Remember all these games are gonna have free dlc and updates. Think EA can be in a really good place if they focus on the updates and give each playerbase what they want.

OP
OP
GUNDAM STARDUST
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I should add that by "kill" I mean hurt it's sales. The poll so far says that may very well happen. I don't want Anthem to fail. Judging by the demo however EA must not feel the same way.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
No, one has little cross-over with the other. They are not competitors in the traditional sense.

The only thing that will hurt Anthem is bad scores and any hang-over from their awful Demo.

Oct 25, 2017
Apex has certainly sucked a lot of the air out of the room. It'll be harder for Anthem to generate buzz with Apex commanding so much attention. Whether they're in the same genre or not doesn't matter, they're competing for mindshare from the same group of people.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I kind of think it has for me. I was planning on getting EA access or buying Anthem as my new Feb game day 1. Apex came out and that's all I'm playing right now. Purchased some coins so I could unlock the other two characters (Mirage and Caustic). Going to now hold off on Anthem for a bit.
coulda got one of the characters free with EA access. I just bought EA access for the Anthem trial....and it gave me a buncha gold coins in Apex

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
The "they're totally different games" comments are out of touch. They're both teamwork based shooters that you play with your friends. Right now everyone and their friends are playing Apex. If the majority of a group of friends aren't interested in Anthem and are still digging Apex then they're going to keep playing Apex, and the decision to either keep playing the awesome free game you're still enjoying or migrate to another game with a $60 entry fee will be an easy choice for most groups.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

I think Apex has totally stolen whatever hype Anthem had and is also going to eat it's lunch.
Yet Shinobi said in this thread "Positive user engagement across social media for Anthem is very high from everywhere I've looked from Twitter to Facebook to YouTube... "
And we have Benji who says the pre orders are strong for the game and thats retail only.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
No.

Anthem is for everyone interested in the game at their own pace.

Apex is for, and I apologize for the blanket statement and I will try to be diplomatic with this: Younger gamers and full time streamers. It's been a week, those of us with jobs, families, kids etc already missed the boat, I enjoyed it last week but know that if I hop on now I'm not going to have a great time. You need to be a full time gamer to really enjoy the full benefits of F2P otherwise the ship sails away and your skill set is too newb to even learn.
Honestly, if you are even a little interested in the game and you are letting this stop you from trying it, don't. There's no progression system that affects gameplay. The game is very simple in terms of guns to choose from and the attachment system basically plays itself since everything auto-equips if its applicable. I started on Saturday and I after the initial "I have no idea what I'm doing phase" that I go through with all new multiplayer games, I don't feel behind at all. It only took 10 or so games to get acclimated.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Apex has certainly sucked a lot of the air out of the room. It'll be harder for Anthem to generate buzz with Apex commanding so much attention. Whether they're in the same genre or not doesn't matter, they're competing for mindshare from the same group of people.

Y'all really think people who play sports titles don't play shooters or rpgs too? You'd swear we had to pick a genre and be stuck with it for all our gaming lives.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it kills Anthem but I sure as hell think that it kills Battlefield V BR

if the wait hasn't already (it has for me)

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I fucking adore Apex and never had so much fun in a Battle Royale game but that said I definitely need a break from PVP after an hour or two. I have a life and family obligations and during the VIP Demo of Anthem I felt it much mellower than my time with APEX. I think they complement more than cannibalize each other. When EA did the same thing with Battlfield and Titanfall 2 I think they didn't get that they were two similar offerings. Not exact but similar so Titanfall was hurt.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When do we get the thread on if Anthem will kill the next Sims 4 expansion?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should add that by "kill" I mean hurt it's sales. The poll so far says that may very well happen. I don't want Anthem to fail. Judging by the demo however EA must not feel the same way.

Your poll says nothing. It literally doesn't even have an option "I was going to buy Anthem but Apex changed that". You are inventing a narrative that doesn't exist with the choices given.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any overlap between both audiences though. I can see those are two different type of game but people is already playing PVE and PVP games and Anthem and Apex gonna fight for that free time slot too. This is true for BFV and any other online game mind you. Especially when games are launched in similar dates

My point is that "Anthem and Apex are two different types of games so it doesn't matter" is just partially true.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
I was never particularly hyped for Anthem but thought about giving it a shot because there's not much else I'm interested in for a little bit. Now, I think I'll drop some money Respawn's way instead.

Oct 26, 2017
Anthem looks like some garbo Destiny clone to me whereas Apex actually proved itself to me as not being a garbo Blackout/Fortnite clone. Also, free > $60 for something that probably won't work on launch...

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It doesn't but at the end of the day, Apex is a massive hit and Anthem has to compete for the additional attention of eyeballs that they didn't a week ago. Apex definitely hurt Anthem some but how much is debatable.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing SaintBowWow, a few of us were looking for our next "shooter" to play, and chill together with. While the games are different, we do not require more than a solid fps-ish experience we can sorta auto-pilot so we can BS. Anthem and Division were on our list, but the demo kinda killed Anthem's chances for the time being. Apex coming out of nowhere, and well liked by the group, is hurting Athem's chances with us for sure. Division is still on the plate. I do not think there will be room for Anthem for us unless it turns out to be really great. It would have to be better than Destiny (post updates/expansions), at the least to even be considered at this point.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's perplexing that some folks see no correlation. I'll take an educated point or hypothesis either way, but to outright dismiss it is strange to me.

I mean, you're out here goin "the poll though...." when you didn't even list responses that do anything to prove your point. There's overlap between these genre of games because they both have guns, that's about it.