• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?

• I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem

Votes: 321 20.8%
  • I didn't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem

Votes: 174 11.3%
  • I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now

Votes: 748 48.6%
  • Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved

Votes: 297 19.3%

• Total voters

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
"One is a first person PVP BR game and one is a PVE third-person shooter RPG - they are completely different games" is some Sesame Street level analysis imo.

I'm guessing that's what EA execs told BioWare when they dropped a massive AAA hit right on top of Anthems launch hype.

The first thing Andrew Wilson is going to say if Anthem fails to meet expectations is "we thought there were two distinct audiences to serve". Very similar to what he said when TF2 tanked.

On the surface, sure there are differences. But this isn't a COD vs Minecraft situation.

Both are action shooter AAA sci-fi games you play with friends.

Don't assume players are as binary as PVP vs PVE. Most are likely on a spectrum where they enjoy both, just in different measures. Apex is super fun, accessible, polished and popular - it's sucking the air out of the room for all games, Anthem included.

It won't "kill" Anthem, but it will very likely put a significant damper on week 1 sales that would not have happened if Apex wasn't a factor.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know for me it definitely does not

As many have said, it's a completely different game...

This notion that Anthem is going to bomb/fail doesn't really make sense to me. Anthem fulfills a very specific type of fantasy that isn't available elsewhere and it's visual identity is unique enough to rope in casual interest. While I don't think it will break records, it will most definitely be a hit

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see anthem really moving anyone off destiny or getting any new players who aren't already playing destiny.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Yet Shinobi said in this thread "Positive user engagement across social media for Anthem is very high from everywhere I've looked from Twitter to Facebook to YouTube... "
And we have Benji who says the pre orders are strong for the game and thats retail only.
Preorders were very strong for MEA toošŸ˜

Oct 27, 2017
It's perplexing that some folks see no correlation. I'll take an educated point or hypothesis either way, but to outright dismiss it is strange to me.

Nah. They're completely different games, in different genres, that have completely different experiences. You're comparing a first person PVP battle royale game with 15 minute matches to a PVE third person loot based game that focuses on progression and RPG elements.

The better question would be does Apex kill the upcoming Battlefield BR game? And the answer to that is yes.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I think a better question would be, will Anthem kill Anthem?

The hype after the demo has been a lot lower from what I have personally seen, the question is, will EA deliver a game that people enjoy or will it fall away fast and be forgotten?

I don't think Apex will make a significant dent, if any, in the people already planning on purchasing anthem though tbh.

OP
OP
GUNDAM STARDUST
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
"One is a first person PVP BR game and one is a PVE third-person shooter RPG - they are completely different games" is some Sesame Street level analysis imo.

I'm guessing that's what EA execs told BioWare when they dropped a massive AAA hit right on top of Anthems launch hype.

The first thing Andrew Wilson is going to say if Anthem fails to meet expectations is "we thought there were two distinct audiences to serve". Very similar to what he said when TF2 tanked.

On the surface, sure there are differences. But this isn't a COD vs Minecraft situation.

Both are action shooter AAA sci-fi games you play with friends.

Don't assume players are as binary as PVP vs PVE. Most are likely on a spectrum where they enjoy both, just in different measures. Apex is super fun, accessible, polished and popular - it's sucking the air out of the room for all games, Anthem included.

It won't "kill" Anthem, but it will very likely put a significant damper on week 1 sales that would not have happened if Apex wasn't a factor.
"Will this battle royale game completely focused on pvp kill this co-op focused looter shooter RPG?"

This is Us

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Can only speak for myself when I say I was really excited for Anthem after the demo. I was set to break my own "no day one" rule for it.

Apex changed all that. Not sure I'll ever buy Anthem now.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I was only going to buy one copy of Anthem, but then Apex Legends came out so now I'm going to buy four!

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm pretty sure Anthem killed Anthem. There may be some slight overlap, but the poor betas and play reception is why I am holding off for now. I really like Apex but it isn't the reason I am cool on Anthem at the moment.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
This kind of thought is so strange to me and seems to be getting traction by people who dont even really understand what Anthem is. Not only is there very little overlap between them, Apex is getting people to install Origin and on PC at least getting more people in EAs ecosystem so Anthem will be advertised far more frequently. It's going to increase sales on PC if anything or at least result in an increase in EA origin subscriptions that will give access to Anthem.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's targeting different audiences. I don't care for competitive multiplayer, so I don't care for Apex. But I do care for Co op multi and my friends and I are playing anthem.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
This kind of thought is so strange to me and seems to be getting traction by people who dont even really understand what Anthem is. Not only is there very little overlap between them, Apex is getting people to install Origin and on PC at least getting more people in EAs ecosystem so Anthem will be advertised far more frequently. It's going to increase sales on PC if anything or at least result in an increase in EA origin subscriptions that will give access to Anthem.
At best it will probably drive a spike in Origin Premiere subs - which doesn't actually benefit Anthem at all.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Apex, and I didn't think these two games were in the same genre at all. I'm not interested in Anthem because I'm not into Destiny, and it seems very similar.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Don't care about Apex, I want a proper TF3.

Gonna wait to see if Anthem improved since beta and if it did, I'm gonna give it a shot. If not, well then, piss off.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
But they are completely different games!

I find it strange, people don't understand that "time" is always correlating factor. Games can hurt other games even if they aren't in the same genre due to the limited nature of time. People that might be interested in both, might hold off purchasing because they are suddenly obsessed with the free one. (I know your post is sarcastic, I am just commenting on the nature of people dismissing the notion that they cannot be compared).

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Kill? Probs not. Hurt? Most definitely.

Doesn't matter if they're same genre or not. They will eat into each other. This has been shown time and time again with major launches affecting other genres.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it strange, people don't understand that "time" is always correlating factor. Games can hurt other games even if they aren't in the same genre due to the limited nature of time. People that might be interested in both, might hold off purchasing because they are suddenly obsessed with the free one.

They can, but then you also seemingly have a ton of people building up backlogs. Especially with pre-order incentives and discounts pushing those impulse buys. And in EA's case, those subscriptions for Origin/EA Access too.

Oct 27, 2017
Kill? Probs not. Hurt? Most definitely.

Doesn't matter if they're same genre or not. They will eat into each other. This has been shown time and time again with major launches affecting other genres.

I can see your point if they were both $60 games, but they're not. Makes it a lot easier to choose between two recently launched games if one is free.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I find it strange, people don't understand that "time" is always correlating factor. Games can hurt other games even if they aren't in the same genre due to the limited nature of time. People that might be interested in both, might hold off purchasing because they are suddenly obsessed with the free one. (I know your post is sarcastic, I am just commenting on the nature of people dismissing the notion that they cannot be compared).
Totally.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Regardless...anthem is just the game y'all picked for this scenario. Every game faces competition...it's really not a great point.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
A PvP only game killing a PvE only game? Nah more like helping people choose Anthem over Destiny or Division. They will play Apex for PvP and Anthem for PvE. For me it will be either keep playing Warframe or Division 2 for Coop PvE and Apex for PvP.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be foolish to think that a strong F2P BR shooter wouldn't take away something from Anthem, even if only slight. A lot easier to get your friends to play a free game than a 60 dollar one. See Fortnite and how it impacted 2018 for reference.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
They can, but then you also seemingly have a ton of people building up backlogs. Especially with pre-order incentives and discounts pushing those impulse buys. And in EA's case, those subscriptions for Origin/EA Access too.

I always associate the people like myself who have huge backlogs as being in the extreme minority, like super extreme. As for Origin/EA Access, while true, it is missing from the biggest group of triple A buyers the PS4.

Regardless...anthem is just the game y'all picked for this scenario. Every game faces competition...it's really not a great point.

I think the reason it being compared it is the timing of the release of Apex, it came right after underwhelming beta but right before the release of the game and from the same company nonetheless. While if they were from competing companies, their would be less to talk about.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"underlying"
Lmao people here have made it incredibly overt that they want it to. This game is what SWTOR was to /v/ imo

It's so dumb and so obvious. I don't even like Anthem, but I can't wait until it comes out and ends up being Bioware's best selling game ever. It's laughable how often this forum of "enthuists" ends up eating crow, and this will be no different.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
In fact, all february releases are getting killed by the Apex predator. 60$ games, F2P, solo, multi... No wonder they delayed Path of Exile to mid march...

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
did fortnite kill every game out there? did botw kill everything? how about gow?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
  1. *
  2. *
  3. *
  4. *
  5. They are totally different games. PVE story based rpg / PVP Battle Royale
Also sadly Apex has no solo mode.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"underlying"
Lmao people here have made it incredibly overt that they want it to. This game is what SWTOR was to /v/ imo
Anthem is genuinely an inoffensive game at worst so I don't see why so many people here want it to fail. Like, we even had a thread dedicated to the idea of Anthem failing so that Bioware could work on something else. :| Come on Era..