• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?

• I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem

Votes: 321 20.8%
  • I didn't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem

Votes: 174 11.3%
  • I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now

Votes: 748 48.6%
  • Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved

Votes: 297 19.3%

• Total voters

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Battle royale games are boring as hell. Tried Apex and it didn't change my mind. Cautiously excited for Anthem.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
there should be an poll option for: i'd never play either because fuck online shooters

that said, i doubt apex will kill anthem. different target audiences, and not even EA are dumb enough to choose these launch timings if there's any chance one of these games would cannibalize the other

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The irony if Respawn somehow damaged Anthem's sales

If Anthem dies it'll be its own fault

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I picked Anthem because it's rare to see a major publisher kicking themselves in the nuts tbh.

Idk...i think ea knows what they're tracking and are ok with this launch. Certainly people can play more than one EA title at a time.

What facts back up this notion? Has anyone dropped any numbers that says apex has eaten into pre launch sales or whatever?

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
This reminds me of a stupid and pointless Gamingbolt article comparing the success of God of War and how it affected Crackdown 3.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm not into BR genre myself. But let's say I was, I could play it on the side for PVP since it's free. And when my mates are online, I team up for Anthem. Few of my friends I play online with aren't at all into PVP (Wow battlegrounds as an exception), so Apex doesn't interest them in the slightest. And these are the same people I played Anthem with, but the thing is we are bit more interested in Division than Anthem.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are way to focused on one being PVP and one being PVE. Sure there are people that will only want to play one over the other but plenty of people will play both modes. The big thing that makes the game similar is that both are shooter co-op experiences. So if you are picking a game to play with your friends are you going to play the free game that has a ton of hype for it or the 60$ game that doesn't?

Sure case by case basis but I think more people pick games to play with their friends over a PVP/PVE option. I worked at Gamestop for a decade and the amount of people who would ask about games to play with friends over the type of game it was was like 100 to 1. In general most people who play shooters are more used to co-op PVP then PVE. Not saying Anthem is doomed but EA's forcast for it was already much lower then I expected and I'm not even sure it'll hit that.

This is to say nothing about how Apex has just flat out taking all of the attention and hype.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I think people are way to focused on one being PVP and one being PVE. Sure there are people that will only want to play one over the other but plenty of people will play both modes. The big thing that makes the game similar is that both are shooter co-op experiences. So if you are picking a game to play with your friends are you going to play the free game that has a ton of hype for it or the 60$ game that doesn't?
As you said, some people want to play both modes. To do that, they will play both games. As there's no PVP in Anthem and no PVE in Apex, so they can easily coexist. Even better when the other one is f2p. And only one of them has story campaign, which is a plus for that game. For many the campaign sells it.

Last edited:

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're both multiplayer games meant to be played with friends. Apex is solid and has become the go to game for me and friends. Weren't interested in Anthem before, but even less of a reason to get it now.

OP
OP
GUNDAM STARDUST
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Idk...i think ea knows what they're tracking and are ok with this launch. Certainly people can play more than one EA title at a time.

What facts back up this notion? Has anyone dropped any numbers that says apex has eaten into pre launch sales or whatever?

Let's see... how about Titanfall 2. We often lambast how it was buried in the holiday season because it launched near COD, etc. No one was saying how Mech shooters are different from boots on the ground back then.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Kill is too strong of a term, but both are very time consuming games that want your constant attention and unless you are gaming 24/7 in hermit mode, you gotta pick your games.
One has free price tag too.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
With Apex cold launching this month to wonderful reviews and word of mouth do you feel it will hurt Anthem's launch success? I am having so much fun with Apex right now that I don't know if I want to brave the poor fps waters of Anthem after that beta.

EA is kind of in a weird situation where the game they marketed to hell and back is going to get stomped by their wildcard entry.

I feel as if every time I see a poll on this forum it's written incredibly leading and used as an extension of 'here is what I believe please validate it for me' by the OP which is textbook bad polling.

Let's talk about what's wrong with this poll, shall we?
  • Sample Size:
    • ResetERA is not representative of the general population
      • Is this aimed at understanding the general population's opinion? Is it aimed at understanding ResetERA's? Would you consider these results as representative of how Anthem will do or what impact, if any, Apex has on Anthem as a product?
    • Do we know if Apex and Anthem have the same audience? Are all parties effectively represented here?
    • Apex has been out a single week and stealth launched with no marketing campaign, we have no idea who has even heard of this game let alone what it will look like a month from now in terms of opinion
  • Thread:
    • The OP provides what they consider evidence for their thesis which in turn biases the people taking the poll via the first post and the thread title
    • "Kill" is loaded terminology which you needed to elaborate upon later because of that
      • The current framing implies it's an either or, when the answer is likely not either because we don't understand the success metrics for Anthem and Apex as products
  • Question Statement:
    • "How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?"
      • Do we know Apex is successful yet outside of our own anecdotal opinions at the moment? By what definition is Apex successful? To who?
  • Poll Answers:
    • "I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem"
      • Define hype. What does that mean in this context? Do you account for people's varying definitions of what "hype" means? Does being hyped for something mean you'll purchase it? This could directly conflict with option four as well
    • "I don't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem"
      • Does not account for if the person tried Apex and disliked it or if they never tried Apex in the first place due to not liking something about it thus nullifying Apex's impact on the product
    • "I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now"
      • As above, I think your intention here was to capture if someone played it and either liked Apex or didn't like it and thus it impacted their decision on Anthem
    • "Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved"
      • In order to select this answer participants need to:
        • Be waiting for Anthem's reviews (of which we do not know what they consider "acceptable" criteria for purchase)
        • Be waiting for Digital Foundry testing as well as the aforementioned reviews specifically for knowledge of if the frame rates are improved and nothing else
  • Poll as a Whole:
    • Operates under the assumption that Anthem is perceived as bad
    • You're comparing a full game that is free and currently out versus a paid game that had a demo out
    • Frequently operates under the assumption that people taking the poll have played both Apex and Anthem
    • Implies that Apex being successful means Anthem is hurt by Apex's success
    • They're literally different types of games
    • We don't know what makes or quantifies either product as successful outside of the opinions of:
      • Which I feel is being talked about more (subjective)
      • What game I feel is being played more (subjective)
      • Which game has the greater number of players (objective, but we don't know if this defines success)
All in all the poll is far too biased to tell us anything as it makes far too many assumptions. Good polls are very difficult to do.

Last edited:

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
There's only time to dedicate your time to one if you are a grown ass salary person, so I'd say Apex will either slow down or straight up kill Anthem on arrival.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Anthem will do fine. The number of people who won't buy it due to Apex being so good is offset by the fact that there's hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people using Origin now to play Apex that weren't on the service a week ago. EA just got a whole new audience to market to.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
why not both!

they arent even the same type of game unless you think that if both have guns then they are the same which in that case...damn thats kinda sad.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem will kill Anthem if they dont do a proper end game after finishing the main campaign, Apex will be forgotten if the game wont get updated as much as Fornite and balanced to keep people interested after the honeymoon phase

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
All in all the poll is far too biased to tell us anything as it makes far too many assumptions. Good polls are very difficult to do.
the amount of work you put into your post was far too high for something anyone that can realize Era is a bubble already knows.

regardless tho...I respect that. you put 110%

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Does not being the exact same exact type of game double the amount of hours in the day? I don't think some of you understand how big releases, even not being in the same genre, can affect each other. They're both high profile multiplayer centric shooters, the sudden popularity of one is going to affect the other.

OP kinda ruined his thread by using the word "kill" and having horrible poll options.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Apex cold launching this month to wonderful reviews and word of mouth do you feel it will hurt Anthem's launch success? I am having so much fun with Apex right now that I don't know if I want to brave the poor fps waters of Anthem after that beta.

EA is kind of in a weird situation where the game they marketed to hell and back is going to get stomped by their wildcard entry.
It's very different from Anthem

Apex is more like pubg x overwatch.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I like Apex, and I am staying away from Anthem for now, but the two things are totally unrelated.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really not sure how you managed to connect Apex's performance with the incoming Anthem lol

I don't think one will impact the other either. They scratch different itches

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Another thing that is missed is that part of Anthems reason for existence is to add recurring value to EAs origin premiere sub service. Even *if* Anthem's early sales were somehow impacted, Apex is driving a huge influx of people to Origin who then might end up subscribing for the perks you get there who will now have full access to Anthem and (if they like it) only further keeps them as a subscriber. Both games are squad based so people joining on with friends are only further incentivized if any of their friends take interest. Seriously I think people are really just looking at the most superficial level of this and not putting much critical thought in how complementary games in this kind of service benefit each other (or they're just tripping over themselves wanting the game to fail..)

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Just because they're 2 different genres doesn't mean they won't impact sales. A lot of people only play a few games a year, especially games that are a time commitment, or GaaS. I for one was on the border of getting anthem, but now that apex is out, I'll just play this. Mainly because I don't have time to play both, and apex is so good.

I think there are a lot of people like me, especially those in the fence about anthem. They'll just play apex.

OP
OP
GUNDAM STARDUST
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I feel as if every time I see a poll on this forum it's written incredibly leading and used as an extension of 'here is what I believe please validate it for me' by the OP which is textbook bad polling.

Let's talk about what's wrong with this poll, shall we?
  • Sample Size:
    • ResetERA is not representative of the general population
      • Is this aimed at understanding the general population's opinion? Is it aimed at understanding ResetERA's? Would you consider these results as representative of how Anthem will do or what impact, if any, Apex has on Anthem as a product?
    • Do we know if Apex and Anthem have the same audience? Are all parties effectively represented here?
    • Apex has been out a single week and stealth launched with no marketing campaign, we have no idea who has even heard of this game let alone what it will look like a month from now in terms of opinion
  • Thread:
    • The OP provides what they consider evidence for their thesis which in turn biases the people taking the poll via the first post and the thread title
    • "Kill" is loaded terminology which you needed to elaborate upon later because of that
      • The current framing implies it's an either or, when the answer is likely not either because we don't understand the success metrics for Anthem and Apex as products
  • Question Statement:
    • "How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?"
      • Do we know Apex is successful yet outside of our own anecdotal opinions at the moment? By what definition is Apex successful? To who?
  • Poll Answers:
    • "I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem"
      • Define hype. What does that mean in this context? Do you account for people's varying definitions of what "hype" means? Does being hyped for something mean you'll purchase it? This could directly conflict with option four as well
    • "I don't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem"
      • Does not account for if the person tried Apex and disliked it or if they never tried Apex in the first place due to not liking something about it thus nullifying Apex's impact on the product
    • "I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now"
      • As above, I think your intention here was to capture if someone played it and either liked Apex or didn't like it and thus it impacted their decision on Anthem
    • "Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved"
      • In order to select this answer participants need to:
        • Be waiting for Anthem's reviews (of which we do not know what they consider "acceptable" criteria for purchase)
        • Be waiting for Digital Foundry testing as well as the aforementioned reviews specifically for knowledge of if the frame rates are improved and nothing else
  • Poll as a Whole:
    • Operates under the assumption that Anthem is perceived as bad
    • You're comparing a full game that is free and currently out versus a paid game that had a demo out
    • Frequently operates under the assumption that people taking the poll have played both Apex and Anthem
    • Implies that Apex being successful means Anthem is hurt by Apex's success
    • They're literally different types of games
    • We don't know what makes or quantifies either product as successful outside of the opinions of:
      • Which I feel is being talked about more (subjective)
      • What game I feel is being played more (subjective)
      • Which game has the greater number of players (objective, but we don't know if this defines success)

You're overthinking it my dude. This is not an independent study - just a topic of discussion on a games forum.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
People are missing that a game like Anthem has to be THE game to play at launch. It's a major new GaaS franchise from EA/Bioware with tons of marketing behind it. It's supposed to be a tentpole blockbuster release and right now Apex has all the chatter/hype/media attention that a game like Anthem needs. That's why this thread exists.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I was keeping an eye on Anthem, and though the two games aren't at all alike I think playing so much Apex has definitely made me wearier of spending a lot of money on another online shooter, since my time is currently being occupied. So I wouldn't say Apex 'killed' Anthem for me, I do still want it, but it's definitely effected my desire to purchase somewhat just because I'm enjoying what I'm playing right now. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys juggling 3 or 4 games at once.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem should've had a dedicated campaign.

It's not the game I want from BioWare and so I'm not gonna buy into it.

Last edited:

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Theres too much coming out the around mid feb. Apex, Anthem, Crackdown 3, Metro Exodus, Far Cry...Apex being free to play plus Anthem and Crackdown available in cheaper subscription model is going to hurt Metros sales if anything

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should delay Anthem until summer when the release calendar is emptier and it has more development time.
That game is going to bomb so fucking hard, at least by EA standards.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
You're overthinking it my dude. This is not an independent study - just a topic of discussion on a games forum.
While there's no doubt I'm overthinking it and putting in far more effort than I should be for free here, it's not just a topic of discussion when you've used the poll's data to make assertions.

I should add that by "kill" I mean hurt it's sales. The poll so far says that may very well happen. I don't want Anthem to fail. Judging by the demo however EA must not feel the same way.

You asked for feedback on the poll earlier and though it wasn't directed at me I took up the challenge. Meant no ill will by it.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem not having PVP doesn't change how many hours are in one day. Gamers only have a limited amount of time. If they are preoccupied and happy already with one game, what is there incentive to drop sixty dollars. The general mindshare and talk of the gaming industry will continue to be Apex and completely drown out any excitement for Anthem. Not that there was much to begin with.