• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?

• I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem

Votes: 321 20.8%
  • I didn't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem

Votes: 174 11.3%
  • I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now

Votes: 748 48.6%
  • Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved

Votes: 297 19.3%

• Total voters

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty much done with Apex now. It's fun, but I need a narrative scratch to keep going. Grind for loot isn't enough. Hopefully Anthem has a better grasp on narrative than Destiny did.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
It killed it for me. I only have a limited time to game, and right now, Apex is all my friends and I want to play. No need to spend money on Anthem to shoot the shit while gaming.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I am waiting for Anthem to get more content. I played the beta, the VIP beta and the open beta with the talk of a rather lackluster end game I am fine waiting. I did Destiny, The Division and Destiny 2 hard when they first came out and have learned the wait and see approach.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Both Apex and Anthem can co-exist in the multiplayer space since they have different offerings of experience for the player (PvP or PvE). If Anthem dies and if it's because of troubling issues that existed in the demo that the rumors say was based on an early build, then I put full blame on EA for underestimating the time needed to fully polish the game. I know it's not a good look to push back a game for a second time, but I feel like EA needs a positive mindset from potential players at the start if they want the game to be successful. The last thing they need is a Battlefront 2 or ME Andromeda situation, but I really feel like EA will be the core reason the game fails if anything.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
What is this obsession with "X game kills Y game" and "Is X game dead?". So much association with wanting things to be dead or a failure.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Of course it doesn't kill it but to say it won't have an effect is silly imo. Likely people won't buy Anthem because they have a game that was free that they are enjoying and can use that $60 on something else.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
People are missing that a game like Anthem has to be THE game to play at launch. It's a major new GaaS franchise from EA/Bioware with tons of marketing behind it. It's supposed to be a tentpole blockbuster release and right now Apex has all the chatter/hype/media attention that a game like Anthem needs. That's why this thread exists.
Yep, agree.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What does it matter these two games are not the exact same genre?
These games still cater to a very similar demographic and not everyone has the time to play two big GAAS titles simultaniously.

Of course the thread title is uneccessary sensational but saying there will be no effect because they're different genres is short-sighted.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
speaking for myself here, but when i plan on buying a game at launch that's that, it'll get my money and time unless something catastrophic happens. in this regard people already made up their mind on Anthem, which has been marketed for over a year now and not going for the flashbang "talk of the town" market f2p BR covers. Anthem's audience is already baked in, more or less.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Lmfao at all the people saying "different genres, won't affect sales". It's about time, and less about the type of game.

OP
OP
GUNDAM STARDUST
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
While there's no doubt I'm overthinking it and putting in far more effort than I should be for free here, it's not just a topic of discussion when you've used the poll's data to make assertions.

You asked for feedback on the poll earlier and though it wasn't directed at me I took up the challenge. Meant no ill will by it.

No worries at all. You're right about the poll methodology. It was a quick and dirty list off the top of my head making some basic assumptions such as:

Everyone in the thread would be interested in the interplay between the two titles.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I picked like Apex, skip Anthem, but the two decisions really have nothing to do with each other. For me, Anthem is killing Anthem.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Totally different genre and crowd, Apex will have very little impact on Anthem IMO.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Lmfao at all the people saying "different genres, won't affect sales". It's about time, and less about the type of game.

Dude, exactly. So many people in here giving the "politically correct" answer and saying this. Let's face it. If people are getting swept up in Apex, they will all have less time to spend with other games. And guaran-fucking-teed some of those will enjoy Apex so much they'll push off Anthem purchase priority.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about either and don't plan to play them but if I had to guess I'd say Apex will for sure make Anthem's life more miserable.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'm definitely staying away from anthem after getting hooked on apex. Although that's only because I don't have much time for multiple games at once during the semester... They are different enough that I could see both succeeding, assuming anthem ends up being a good product

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If Anthem ends up being a quality experience with legs, it'll be fine. I don't even see them as competition. Should be asking if Apex is killing the other BR games.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's gonna matter much. As much as people look down on it, I feel that lack of pvp is gonna hurt anthem. It's what kept most playing destiny through the lulls. People always rush through the content.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I wonder if there already is or if there will be a few Anthem adverts in the Apex main menu, and if there isn't, there should be from an EA point of view.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but Anthem killed Anthem. Most everyone I know who played one of the "betas" immediately lost interest.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was only going to get Anthem because I've been so bored of console gaming and figured it would be decent with friends.

But now we are all having a blast on Apex so no chance I pick it up. It's a shame too, because I was so hyped for Anthem when it was announced.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anthem always only had me cautiously optimistic and the open demo didn't really pull me in, so Anthem kinda sunk itself.

Apex came out of nowhere and was immediately pretty impressive.

Apex did not kill Anthem. Apex earned itself my respect and Anthem never did from any point of its marketing, other than kinda sparking my curiosity, which kinda got shut down by the demo.

To my perception, Apex and Anthem are completely separate considerations.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't able to vote: I love Apex but I'm also buying Anthem out of morbid curiosity. I don't expect to stick with Anthem very long.

That demo was really bad. Outside of that, I'm worried about how much content will be there before you start having to replay the same stuff over and over (which is part of the genre, and ok).

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Any game that dominates this hard like Apex is, will hurt pretty much every game, especially the ones that launch during it's hype phase. So ya Anthem is toast. Anthem could really use the free advertising on Twitch from all the streamers playing it but now only a handful will and all the big ones will be on still be on Apex.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
My answer is YES

I canceled my anthem preorder. Not because I'm not interested in anthem, but because apex will be absorbing my time.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I personally had very little hype for Anthem but with Apex it's not even on my radar now. Apex is the game my group of friends will be playing for months by the looks of it.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't change the fact your statement was false and that the game does in fact have a campaign.

No.

I couched my opinion in clear context.

Why you acting like I'm testifying under oath? Don't take yourself too seriously. You can be in your feelings over my opinion but this isn't cross examination

Don't bother replying, I won't.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If anthem is going to fail to live up to ea standards apex legends would have had no impact on it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
The "they're totally different games" comments are out of touch. They're both teamwork based shooters that you play with your friends. Right now everyone and their friends are playing Apex. If the majority of a group of friends aren't interested in Anthem and are still digging Apex then they're going to keep playing Apex, and the decision to either keep playing the awesome free game you're still enjoying or migrate to another game with a $60 entry fee will be an easy choice for most groups.

Yep, this.

My friend group and I and the perfect target audience for Anthem - 6 "regulars" and another 4-6 "occasionals" with many many thousands of hours of Destiny 1, 2 and The Division between us this gen. I'm the only one "enthusiast" enough to be a forum poster though. Apex has just murdered any chance of Anthem being picked up by us all at launch. It's gone from potential interest and most of us probably picking it up, in hope of finding that next game we can all get online to play and hang out, shoot the shit - to "We have a new game everyone logs in every night to play, this is awesome!". And if not picked up by a majority at launch, the network effects in our small group mean it's very unlikely it'll become a staple for us and the chances of anyone buying it are much reduced.

If the feedback from the 7 day premier players is AMAZING, I will still perhaps pick up Anthem and give it a quick go myself - I did enjoy the flying. It's gone from a very likely purchase to super borderline, personally. And maybe things will change for the group in 2 weeks as the Anthem marketing intensifies, small chance.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I was very much looking forward to Anthem, but Apex has killed my "hype" for all games, but I'm still getting Anthem. If that makes sense.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Not anymore that Rainbow Six Siege "killed" The Division. Or vice versa.

(Probably the final nail in the Battlefield coffin though)

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem was basically the next big thing I had to be excited for. Paid for Origin sub and everything to play the demo and start playing the game early. Now Apex came out, and I couldn't care less about Anthem or Metro.