• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?

• I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem

Votes: 321 20.8%
  • I didn't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem

Votes: 174 11.3%
  • I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now

Votes: 748 48.6%
  • Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved

Votes: 297 19.3%

• Total voters

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
2 different games. Its like not playing God of War since i play Fortnite.

I like Apex and still excited for Anthem and Div 2

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Why can't a game in a dffierent genre kill a game? X game is so good and just released can make people not want to waste/spend on a new game since they're busy playing something else.

People can play different genres, like most people on this website.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Zero interest for Anthem. All aboard for Apex Legends.

They're completely different games anyway.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. One is PVP and the other is PVE. People can easily play both.

There's only so many hours people have devoted to gaming. Saying they technically can play both means nothing if they're going to use all their free time on one. World of Warcraft is an MMO, but I garuantee you it zapped a lot of money from other genres/games that they would have spent on otherwise. These are both high profile mutliplayer shooters, some people don't care about the distinction they just want their shooter fix with the friends.

WeAreVenumb

Oct 27, 2017
There's only so many hours people have devoted to gaming. Saying they technically can play both means nothing if they're going to use all their free time on one. World of Warcraft is an MMO, but I garuantee you it zapped a lot of money from other genres/games that they would have spent on otherwise. These are both high profile mutliplayer shooters, some people don't care about the distinction they just want their shooter fix with the friends.
It was also a game that offered pvp and pve, and required a great deal of time and effort in both aspects to remain competitive. I don't really see any reason why someone with say, 10 hours of gaming time a week wouldn't be able to play both these games without much worry of falling behind.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
ive put over 30hrs into Apex already. But best believe im gonna put all 10 hrs into that Anthem trial on ea access this weekend

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
The option on the vote for me would have included tired of battle royal games. Waiting to see how Division 2 and Anthem turn out independent of what digital foundry says. I don't mind no pvp in anthem, but I can't imagine there will be enough pve content to keep people there.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017

Thats the way i see it, entertainment money and time is limited. And f2p multiplat games have an enormous advantage when it comes to getting friends to play with each other.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Apex is a completely different game for a different audience. The Division 2 is the one Anthem needs to watch out for the most; it comes out just three weeks afterwards, and has the advantage of being a sequel to a game whose gameplay/mechanics have been honed considerably over the course of its lifespan.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
It was also a game that offered pvp and pve, and required a great deal of time and effort in both aspects to remain competitive. I don't really see any reason why someone with say, 10 hours of gaming time a week wouldn't be able to play both these games without much worry of falling behind.

Do many 'gamers' play more than one game at a time? I dont.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Apex is a completely different game for a different audience. The Division 2 is the one Anthem needs to watch out for the most; it comes out just three weeks afterwards, and has the advantage of being a sequel to a game whose gameplay/mechanics have been honed considerably over the course of its lifespan.
Have you read any of the comments in this thread? That argument doesn't stand.

jmelons

Oct 31, 2017
Everything battles for your attention. Games are different, but how much time will be consumed by one over the other? The two different styles (pvp vs pve) attract different crowds, but that venn diagram overlaps quite a bit. They are not exclusive. I'll probably be going 70/30 Anthem/Apex.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
They'll be some overlap, but for the most part they're different games going after different audiences.

I've gotten less interested with competitive multiplayer games over time, while I've grown more interest in co-op titles and single-player. I'll give Apex Legends a shot sometime this week, but I'm not really expecting much from it. Anthem though I liked quite a bit, and will be a thing I can play with my friends. I'd rather fly around like iron-man than play another battle royale game.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Anthem isn't going to have anywhere near the content or replayability that something like WoW would have. There's not going to be enough either way to seriously hurt anthem. Anthem is being hurt by a laundry list of other reasons.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Curious. Are there Apex commercials blazing right now? I've seen a ton of Anthem commercials lately. Maybe marketing will keep Anthem afloat or with early access coming up, if it comes out the gates looking good, it could change people's mind about the state of the game. BioWare seems to be aggressive with post launch content.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does one have to do with the other?

A third person PVE only mech loot grind game vs. an FPS pvp BR game..? what?

Can we ask if Apex is affecting peoples' Sekiro hype while we're at it?

WeAreVenumb

Oct 27, 2017
What does one have to do with the other?

A third person PVE only mech loot grind game vs. an FPS pvp BR game..? what?

Can we ask if Apex is affecting peoples' Sekiro hype while we're at it?
This is what gets me, why aren't there threads asking if apex cut KH3s sales short? Or if it killed Red Dead Onlines community? Hell, wouldn't Apex be just as damaging to destiny and the division 2 as it is to anthem?

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Curious. Are there Apex commercials blazing right now? I've seen a ton of Anthem commercials lately. Maybe marketing will keep Anthem afloat or with early access coming up, if it comes out the gates looking good, it could change people's mind about the state of the game. BioWare seems to be aggressive with post launch content.
The marketing push should definitely help. Though the first few times I heard that commerical I had to do a double take in my head that they weren't talking about Apex.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't enjoy Battle Royale games so Apex was never really for me. I wish Anthem was s single player game with optional Co-Op but as a whole it holds greater appeal to me.

I wish I could understand the fervor around BR games, but I just find them boring.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I was gonna play Anthem to tide me until DMC5 but now I got a game to play instead.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to think of any GaaS games I DIDN'T regret buying at full price, so Anthem is gonna be a no from me until it matures a bit - Apex certainly helps fill the time, but isn't a huge factor

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I wish I hadn't preordered Anthem. I wanted a game to keep me occupied til Sekiro and figured Anthem will be good enough to do that with nothing else really enticing me right now. Now I have effectively zero interest in Anthem (unless it somehow reviews in the 90's) as I found my game to tide me over.

Sure EA got my money, but it's being redirected to the wrong studio, I'd much rather that money go to Respawn.

Oct 25, 2017
For people like me who work with time for one game it hurts. I'm not going to invest in anthem when I could be improving my shooting in apex ahead of a battle pass release in March. I can't speak for everyone but it's the safe choice now that games are released a year early. I can already see the kotaku article a year from now about how much anthem has changed since the release date and how it's a perfect time to jump back in.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem will live or die of its own accord. A free-to-play, first person Battle Royale game will probably have very little to do with it.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not for me, but I haven't been good at PVP shooters for several years now. PVP has been my least favorite part of shooters ever since I quit playing Counter-Strike 1.6. I enjoyed my time in Apex but I was below average and don't have the time or desire to try and improve.

Anthem being PVE only and loot-centric are potential selling points for me. Early word of mouth from beta testers is giving me pause, but not Apex.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think those 2 games for the majority share the same playerbase/interest at all.

It rather would actually help imo if people use their Origin on PC now more and see the subscription model EA is offering where you can test out Anthem and all other games for kinda cheap.

I will play probably both.
Apex is just a side game with no real progression or even an Elo System that gives you good matchmaking because i can play in one game against Shroud and in the next one against people playing like they use a WiiMote.
Its more a game to mess around in like all BR Games where the outcome doesn't matter.

Anthem is a LootShooter RPG with Progression and Endgame Raiding where investment and engagement for people that intend to play longer(i will quit once DMC5 is out) is key to getting somewhere and not being left behind.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I was never interested in Anthem very much after learning more about it. But Apex definitely didn't help in Anthem's case.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kill Anthem? Nah. But EA dropping a hot triple-A shooter days before Anthem is not gonna help it, that's for sure. They may be different games but one of the core design elements of today's GAAS shooters is player engagement. A lot of people are addicted to Apex and many will not want to drop that for Anthem.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
I think there is a possibility of Anthem being DOA because of Apex, but then again, I thought Anthem would perform very bad before Apex came out.

A bit confusing of why EA released Apex at this point in time.

Feb 10, 2018
I think it was pretty dumb releasing the games so close.
While the games are different, they are still squad based shooters that do attract the same audience.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The biggest problem Anthem has now is the fact it cost £50. Surely lots of gamers are now questioning why 1 game is free and another is going to cost them.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Do many 'gamers' play more than one game at a time? I dont.

I play 3-4 I suppose.

Right now I have a Civ 6 game on the go (this is the only constant)
Apex a shed load load on the PC
Ass Creed Odyssey on the Xbox X downstairs
Will start up anthem in a couple of days too

So yep!

And to answer the topic nahhh - for me personally they are totally different types of things. Anthem I am hoping will scratch my diablo itch I always have. Apex is something different entirely I didn't realise I even still had within me.