• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How does the success of Apex affect your outlook on Anthem?

• I like Apex and I'm still hyped for Anthem

Votes: 321 20.8%
  • I didn't care for Apex and I'm getting Anthem

Votes: 174 11.3%
  • I like Apex and am staying away from Anthem for now

Votes: 748 48.6%
  • Waiting for Anthem reviews and Digital Foundry testing to see if frame rates improved

Votes: 297 19.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do many 'gamers' play more than one game at a time? I dont.

Yes? I thought this was the norm. Hell, I juggle maybe 10 different games a week.

There was a decision on here maybe last year where I realized that most only play one game at a time which isn't something I've ever done, going back to the days of the C64.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
IMO Yes, they got in too late, trying to go after the "Destiny" style of mp game expecting the audience to be huge + stay around, and now that Fortnite and things have come on the scene and then EA literally just dropped a new BR game that has gained a massive audience I think it absolutely did hurt Anthems chances of catching the mp shooter audience.

There's still gonna be plenty of people that will play it at release, but I expect it to drop off fairly soon while the numbers on Apex go up.

I don't know why EA would release a game so close to another game knowing it might affect its sales, didn't they do that with Titanfall 2 releasing near BF1 and shit?

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I think Anthem seemed pretty dead with or without Apex

I've really seen no one actually be excited about it, just curious I guess

This site has been pretty lively with hype for it, especially around the recent private and public betas.

It's an odd poll. The option "I like Apex and I'm staying away from Anthem for now" doesn't suggest there's any causality there. You could both like Apex and be staying away from Anthem for a variety of reasons unrelated to eachother.

It really doesn't mean Apex is "killing" Anthem.

Oct 25, 2017
I know many of you here default to thinking about the outlook on consoles instead of PC, but I think you are all severely underestimating the scale and potential of Apex's effect on getting people to keep Origin installed, build their social network there, and launch it day after day. Given how hard it is to get a large segment of the PC base to even look at something that isn't on Steam (as Metro Exodus is about to discover), I think the attention that Origin's unprecedented penetration of the PC market with the timely launch of Apex stands to outweigh any short-term concerns about players having their hands too full for Anthem.

If Anthem falls below expectations, the timing of Apex Legends should be the last thing to blame. By pushing the Origin platform like nothing else before it, Apex has knocked down a major barrier of convenience and visibility, and Anthem stands to reach a dramatically expanded audience that might previously have shoved it to the back of their minds. Sure, this might deflate the launch somewhat, but a multiplayer service game isn't all about enthusiasm on day one. Long-term engagement with Origin can only be good for Anthem's long tail.

(I say this impartially as somebody unrepresented in the poll, as I'm not playing either one.)

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm staying the hell away from Anthem after that bloody demo.

Apex got me hooked in terms of MP games for sure but me and my friends are taking a break from it on Friday because of Metro

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Apex will definitely steal people from Anthem. I don't care what the differences are between the fabric of each game is. A lot of the same people would play both.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
The Division 2 kills Anthem. I don't really like the genre but the private beta of The Division 2 was so much better than the Anthem demo.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think many people seem to be missing the point. It doesn't matter if they're from different genres of shooters, what matters is your (limited) free time. Apex Legends is a hot new game you can play for free with your friends. If you like spending time with that game then it's going to be harder to find free time for Anthem when it launches and also harder to justify paying full price for it.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think many people seem to be missing the point. It doesn't matter if they're from different genres of shooters, what matters is your (limited) free time. Apex Legends is a hot new game you can play for free with your friends. If you like spending time with that game then it's going to be harder to find free time for Anthem when it launches and also harder to justify paying full price for it.

Is true that limited time is a factor in these situations, but then Division 2 is also dead by arrival or maybe most games from now on with Fortnite, PUBG and so on. I don't think is that easy.

Anthem and Apex are so different products catering to different kind of users. Even if there's some overlap it should be a marginal effect in Anthem's sales.

I think is way more worrying for Anthem the lukewarm reception of it's demo, rather than the success of Apex.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem killed Anthem

maxresdefault.jpg

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Think this benefits Anthem, since all these new people that Have Origin for Apex might now look into the ecosystem a bit more.

(Im just hoping apex makes EA so much money they also start getting launcher exclusive games, just for the meltdowns)

Oct 31, 2017
Both genres aren't even remotely the same. It's like saying Fornite steals players away from Monster Hunter World.

I have zero interest in BR games and I'm getting Anthem.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apex will definitely steal people from Anthem. I don't care what the differences are between the fabric of each game is. A lot of the same people would play both.

Totally

This whole different genre argument is silly. This is not a choice between an RTS game and a shooter. Both are shooters, and both are fast paced and arcadey.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I feel like there isn't a huge amount of overlap but who knows. Anthems bigger problem is some negative demo impressions and taking on an entrenched competitor in a genre that seeks to monopolise all the players playtime. And the division comes out soon too.

I really have no idea how it's going to do, I've seen zero real world hype but I have a feeling my peer group isn't the demographic that anthem is going after.