• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

malyse

Community Resetter
Celery has alway made my mouth numb and I thought that was normal but apparently there are people who don't get mouth nummies from eating celery?

https://twitter.com/i/moments/926599179388014593

And it's either a chemical compound called eugenol or an allergic reaction, which would make sense because I'm allergic to like everything on this dumb planet except for blood and fruit juice.

This isn't a drunk thread I swear.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I read the title and thought "OP is allergic to celery."

I read the post and it said that OP is allergic to celery.

I'm not trying to criticize you OP, but why exactly did you make this thread? Maybe to find other people that are allergic to weird stuff?

I'm allergic to this one tree in my backyard. Not that kind of tree, but that specific tree.
God I hate him.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Probably an allergic reaction. My tongue gets a bit tingly with cherries and bananas,but it depends on the season.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User was warned for inappropriate behavior.
I heard it gives you huge cumshots

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not me...just the normal crunchy dental floss for me. Maybe it is indeed allergies, that doesn't sound quite normal. Does the same thing happen if you eat celery ik different forms, like chopped up or in soup or something?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not allergic to celery, no.
Remind me not to feed you soup, my broth has celery in it.

Gripey

Oct 25, 2017
After recently chewing 2 Excel breath mints, my lips went numb. This was strange, but compounded with my hypochondria made for an interesting 20 minutes or so.

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter

I'm not trying to criticize you OP, but why exactly did you make this thread? Maybe to find other people that are allergic to weird stuff?

I'm allergic to this one tree in my backyard. Not that kind of tree, but that specific tree.
God I hate him.

Because it's not like a big reaction, it's very subtle. I didn't know that this wasn't something that happened to everyone (sort of like how everyone else doesn't feel pain when they go outside because the sun hurts their eyes) so someone else (like me 20 minutes ago) would now know, "hey! you're actually suffering a mild allergic reaction!"

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because it's not like a big reaction, it's very subtle. I didn't know that this wasn't something that happened to everyone (sort of like how everyone else doesn't feel pain when they go outside because the sun hurts their eyes) so someone else (like me 20 minutes ago) would now know, "hey! you're actually suffering a mild allergic reaction!"
I get that actually. I know a few people with really severe allergic reactions though where traces will cause those sort of symptoms, so it just immediately struck me.

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
You sure it's celery you're eating?
bigstock-Fresh-green-celery-isolated-on-52080031.jpg

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

God I hate him.
Yeah, stop eating it OP. The answer to these threads are usually "consult a medical expert", but at least it's not as bad as gluing tooth back together.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like an allergic reaction.

I love these threads. It's what this place was missing.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I were allergic to celery, then people would have to be conscious about adding it to recipes when they invite me over to dinner.

I hate celery. And asparagus.

I'm allergic to grapes and melons, though. I still eat them.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't happen to me with celery, but pineapples give a similar sensation. Tingly numb feeling after eating, kinda hurts after a while. Tastes great tho! Am I actually allergic to pineapples??

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stop lacing your celery with cocaine...

But seriously, oral allergy. I get a reaction with raw radishes, but it's in the back of my throat.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't happen to me with celery, but pineapples give a similar sensation. Tingly numb feeling after eating, kinda hurts after a while. Tastes great tho! Am I actually allergic to pineapples??

Pineapples are super acidic, you're not really supposed to eat more than a few chunks at any one time. Eating a lot in one go will make a bad day for anyone.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
It could be an allergic reaction, though I've experienced this and I'm not allergic to celery (I eat it a lot, actually). The times I did, I suspect I didn't wash it off good enough and it could've been traces of pesticide or something. Since then, I wash my celery off thoroughly (all fruits and veggies, actually).

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
Pineapples are super acidic, you're not really supposed to eat more than a few chunks at any one time. Eating a lot in one go will make a bad day for anyone.

Then why is pineapple pizza a thing? I'll admit to not eating a ton of pineapple in one go (maybe just like five slices in one sitting at the most) but this is new to me.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
No. That's strange, but then again it could just be some sort of allergy.

I don't think anything makes my mouth numb. Beer tends to make me sweat now, though...like a hot flash would be like, I imagine. I must have developed an allergy to it. Good thing I don't drink much.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Raw broccoli causes me to taste heat. But every since I was a child I love steamed broccoli. I could never understand how other kids hated broccoli.
And now days since "roasting" is the shit roasted broccoli smell makes me want to throw up.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
NO, but too much raw pineapple does. Grilling it removes all the stuff that causes that tingling feeling.

In general I prefer raw vegetables to cooked ones though.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
No issues with celery but at some point I realized eating raw cabbage caused a burning sensation in my mouth.

Not an issue with Japanese-style shio (salted) cabbage so maybe an issue with my own preparation.