• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does ‘Days Gone' Cross the Line By Letting Players Kill Child Freakers?

• Yes

Votes: 78 3.1%
  • No

Votes: 2,422 96.8%

• Total voters

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
In Days Gone, there aren't just adult "Freakers" players will come across and need to savagely beat across the head with a baseball bat. There's child Freakers called Newts, who are smaller in stature and look like they have the body of a, I don't know, maybe 10, 11 year old child? However, while newts aren't as aggressive and bold as their adult counter-parts, they are still an enemy that tries to kill you, and thus you need to kill.

It's a questionable decision on the part of Sony Bend. It's realistic, and fits the whole dark and brutal theme. But, does it cross the line? Well, Sony Bend doesn't think so.

"No, they are not [children]," said Sony Bend's Emmanuel Roth when asked about the decision to include child Freakers by Stevivor. "Really, they're more of a crawling creature and more of a different type of gameplay. It's a variation on the kind of creature we can offer."

"They're interesting creatures. They're afraid of the taller Freakers; they need to protect themselves on the roof — to be away from the swarmers that go after them and feed on them. But they are still dangerous — they will look at Deacon's health; when your health is low they will jump on you and will attack you. We hide some here and there to surprise the player."

Roth added that the idea behind the name "newt" is a reference to a tadpole, which of course seems to conflict with what Roth said about the enemy not being children. Further, it also conflicts with what Sony Bend has said in the past about the enemies, who they called "infected adolescents."

More in this link

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
No More Room In Hell did this and I always found that shit to be mad unsettling when they spawned in.

Boy am I glad that Turtle Rock is back in the co-op zombie game so I don't gotta play struggle like that game anymore

Nov 3, 2017
DsYpSJGU8AA8r7-.jpg

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space let you punt babies that had become Necromorphs. Zombie kids aren't anything new.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are they supposed to be zombies? Some movies have child zombies and I dont ever hear much of problem.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
As said already, Dead Space had 'babies' you could kill and nobody said anything about that.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's incredibly unsettling. That was the worst part of 28 Days Later for me.

"I hate you!"

... but all the more effective/realistic for it, surely?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. It's not like kids all of a sudden disappear after a zombie-like virus outbreak.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
No. Or at least, it doesn't cross the line of "what should be in a game".

It does cross some lines, but that's the point.

It could be handled badly in the actual game proper, but that would be specific to the implementation and tone, not the general idea. Dead Space 2 has you killing baby necromorphs to great effect since it's supposed to be upsetting and creepy. The crosses line is weaponised to hit the player with specific emotions.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Why the need to get into detail with the title?

I've been going on media blackout with this game.

I'm sure there was another way you could have worded that.

Kathartic

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
No, we have seen this enemy type countless times before but now they just named it "childerns".

Jul 20, 2018
I don't think it's a big deal because they're already zmombies. I wouldn't want to be killing actual kids in a game though.

Dead Space had babies and Dead Space 2 had kids.

The first Silent Hill had enemies that looked like kids but they we're censored in some regions.

Oct 30, 2017
Dead Space 2 allowed you to decapitate baby Necromorphs and use their bodies as grenades. So no, Days Gone doesn't cross a line.