• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
"HATE" = not giving a damn but for the purposes of this discussion hate is the word,

For all accounts the Switch has already sold almost as many units as the Xbox One and yet it would seem that EA only has Fe, Unravel and Fifa on the system. My expectation is not Fallen Order or Battlefield but something more than 4 games. Is there an article that explains there position? What am I missing?

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
The thoughts of company hating another company it's always fascinating to me. In the end they only care about their bottom line. If they thought it'd help their bottom line they'd develop for it.

Oct 25, 2017
They need many profit and Switch audience will not give them profit, so they will spend their energy putting more money grabbing methods in games that won't be on Switch to get more profit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They don't see any profit in putting a big effort into the system, if you would subscribe a feeling to that "apathy" makes more sense

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
"HATE" = not giving a damn but for the purposes of this discussion hate is the word,

For all accounts the Switch has already sold almost as many units as the Xbox One and yet it would seem that EA only has Fe, Unravel and Fifa on the system. My expectation is not Fallen Order or Battlefield but something more than 4 games. Is there an article that explains there position? What am I missing?
People don't buy EA games on switch so EA won't release games on switch. At least was their line until they got flack for it.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Of course no, if they thought switch would be profitable they would be as in as they could. You can say they're naive for not porting stuff like the sims or similars, sure, but to be hate they would have to actively not port it even if they knew it would be profitable just for some weird sense of despise, which is absurd.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think the theory is that they had a falling out during the Wii U era. Rumor was that EA was pushing for Origin on the system and Nintendo ending up declining at the last minute, so it's been rocky between them ever since.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
EA's current business model is built around persistent online connection so there can be persistent sales pressure for microtransactions. A semi-portable system isn't optimal for that. If EA is too up their own "live service" ass to even remaster their big last gen hits for PS4, they super don't care about anything for Switch.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA doesn't typically backport things and a lot of their games are on the high end of the tech spectrum. They have what, like 1 remaster this gen? It took them 3 years to port something like the Sims 4 to consoles (and even then those versions don't get a ton of good support). They are just such a massive behemoth that they don't even notice these things. It has to either be live service, in service of a thing like Origin Premiere, or going to sell a hojillion copies.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I don't "get" EA and why their games are different. If NBA 2K20 is on the Switch then Madden 20 should be.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Corporations can have long memories. There are a number of companies that may hold grudges against Nintendo for past practices. Understandably so in some cases.

But more generally, a lot of their bigger franchises would be a pain to port down to Switch anyway. The likes of Battlefield and Battlefront would be highly compromised. So it may not be worth the effort for what EA believes are meager sales.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
They specifically said that they have an unprecedented partnership. So you can't go and compare them to other companies.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
EA claims Frostbite can't run on the Switch, therefor none of their main games can be ported. I assumed it was an excuse at the start, but maybe it's actually legit due to some weird design decisions or something.

Fifa runs on a modified 360-era engine IIRC.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just strategy put in place by extremely well paid people who wish to keep receiving their bonuses so, no, there's no hate at all involved.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
No. But I think EA is incredibly incompetent and idiotic with their Switch support. It's like they know the Switch has a large market for their games, but they're too lazy to bring them over. Trying to rationalize EA and their decisions will only give you a headache in the end.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
XB1 and PS4 are nearly identical spec wise. It requires minimal effort to make games run on the other if programmed for one of them. EA also built up a solid audience on both those machines and hasn't had a great showing on Nintendo since the days of the SNES, and even back then it was a second fiddle to the Genesis. Hell EA only reluctantly made games for the NES. They had to jump on the DS and Wii hype but it wasn't their focus and when those came time to be replaced they ignored their successors.

Nov 1, 2017
EA released a statement earlier this year saying that their data showed that Switch owners would purchase EA Games titles on PS4/Xbox/PC. I'm sure if they were seeing the money come in for title that they're traditionally known for they would put it on the Switch in a heartbeat.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Porting to the Switch is not an easy thing to do (due to the vast difference in specs). Something being difficult usually means it is more expensive. Moreover, the people at EA have probably done their research and found that their games don't sell particularly well to the hardcore Nintendo fans, and the people that their games WOULD sell to (that own the Switch) are probably multiple console owners and would rather play their games on the more capable consoles. This is all about turning a profit and EA (rightly or wrongly) appear unconvinced that there is a profit to be made (with their games) on the Switch.

So, in short, no they do not hate Nintendo. If they become convinced that there IS a way to make a good amount of money on Nintendo's current console (maybe after the Switch has sold through a certain amount), I imagine we will see EA jump to release games on the Switch. Just like everyone else in the industry, they are in it for the dollar.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
While your Economics 101 class instilled profit is an aim of businesses, businesses are run by irrational humans. Does EA hate Nintendo? I don't know if that's the question, I think the question is that EA is irrationally leaving profit and mindshare on the table in a questionable manner.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think EA is just a very stubborn company at shifting priorities, they just don't like to change things up.

A lot of this gen felt like one long exercise in trying to put all their games to use Frostbite regardless of whether it worked well for them or not, or if the devs had experience with it.
It's like they saw what Capcom did last gen with MT Framework and were like "we can do that!"

I really don't see EA's hesitation on the Switch though. It seems like one fairly smallish team (or even outsource it to existing port studios) could easily make a handful of popular EA ports for the system and they make a profit.

Only other thing I can think of is that they want to bet all their money on high budget games they are betting on being massive hits, and smaller stuff isn't really a priority.

What I think they're ignoring is that doing popular ports (even if they don't earn a ton of profit) can earn good will with players and drum up excitemsnt for future games in the series, which may do even better because of it.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why do some Switch fans take companies not releasing new games on underpowered hardware as some personal affront? It's the same shit with Capcom. It's not that deep.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
If I were EA I'd hate Nintendo fans too. After all, they won't buy Mass Effect 3 for the price of Mass Effect 1 through 3, they won't buy Madden and FIFA that's missing features of other, older consoles, and they won't buy a port of a Need for Speed game that came out on other systems 7 months prior that's available for 1/3 the price.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't hate Nintendo. They just don't see a reason to port anything over because they don't see enough profit. And more of their games are turning into a service, and Nintendo hasn't really done anything to be more accommodating to services services, where as Sony and MS are increasingly more accommodating and doing more to integrate services into their platforms while Nintendo has not. So there is an audience mismatch in both the types of games EA makes, and the audience not really being into services or buying as much MTX compared to other platforms.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
They don't hate Nintendo. They just don't see a reason to port anything over because they don't see enough profit. And more of their games are turning into a service, and Nintendo hasn't really done anything to be more accommodating to services services, where as Sony and MS are increasingly more accommodating and doing more to integrate services into their platforms while Nintendo has not. So there is an audience mismatch in both the types of games EA makes, and the audience not really being into services or buying as much MTX compared to other platforms.

Maybe I'm missing something. Does Fortnite, Paladins, Rocket League not count as GaaS?

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading about how EA wanted Nintendo to run the Wii U Internet through their service (EA Access? Can't remember the name), and Nintendo said no. I wonder how true that was.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
Porting to the Switch is not an easy thing to do (due to the vast difference in specs). Something being difficult usually means it is more expensive. Moreover, the people at EA have probably done their research and found that their games don't sell particularly well to the hardcore Nintendo fans, and the people that their games WOULD sell to (that own the Switch) are probably multiple console owners and would rather play their games on the more capable consoles. This is all about turning a profit and EA (rightly or wrongly) appear unconvinced that there is a profit to be made (with their games) on the Switch.

So, in short, no they do not hate Nintendo. If they become convinced that there IS a way to make a good amount of money on Nintendo's current console (maybe after the Switch has sold through a certain amount), I imagine we will see EA jump to release games on the Switch. Just like everyone else in the industry, they are in it for the dollar.

I mean this would make sense if it was still 2017. 3rd party games very similar to what EA has have sold well on Switch. If they really wanted to, they could make a profit on the system, it's got a very healthy audience all sorts of genres. If they don't feel like making the effort to build a presence on the platform, thats fine, they dont need to. But pretend like the Switch audience is still in question as to weather they would choose core games on the Switch over PS4/XB1 doesn't really ad up to me as we've had plenty of examples of this. It would take effort on their part, sure, but you gotta spend money to make money. Plenty of Publishers have/are reaping the rewards of putting effort into the Switch.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Only in the sense that in order to put their shit on nintendo consoles they need to invest more money.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
It's not hate, they just know it's an uphill battle when it comes to Nintendo systems because they've spent decades poisoning the well. So why bother?

Even if EA was releasing all their games on the Switch you'd either be a fool or an asshole for buying them. They'd without a doubt be inferior in generally odd and frustratingly needless ways.