• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Hello, friends. #1 here. I think we have all seen the threads that discuss how enhanced games can turn the Pro into a rocketship. I am not here to discuss that. Most recently, while playing God of War, I said "enough is enough." My Pro was ridiculously loud (too loud and hot).

So, two questions:

1. Is every enhanced game like this? For instance, is Ni no Kuni 2 going to do this to my system too? Dark Souls 3, GoW, Pyre (seriously), and HZD destroy my Pro.

2. How much quieter is the slim? I am thinking of selling my Pro and "downgrading" to the slim because I am so sick of this shit. But, if every game does not cause this noise to occur, then I may just keep my Pro. Non-Pro games seem to be just fine for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Love,

Smitty (#1)

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
I know this doesn't answer your question but do you use a headset/headphones? It would be great to cancel out the noisy ps4 pro. As for the pro itself, the fact that it's getting noisy means it's doing it's job. These pro enhanced games are pushing the hardware to the limit so of course the fans are gonna kick into overdrive. I'd say you just need to get used to it because any game that pushes the hardware to the extreme is gonna make it relatively noisy.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of it has to do with your specific model. We have both a pro and a slim hooked up and none of them have made any noticeable noise in God of War or H:ZD. (Except for the menu in GoW)

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of it has to do with your specific model. We have both a pro and a slim hooked up and none of them have made any noticeable noise in God of War or H:ZD.

I'm jealous. I just finished the platinum for God of War a few hours ago and my PS 4 pro sounded like it was getting ready for space flight. Issue doesn't happen that often for me, but recent examples that have turned my PS4 pro into a hairdryer/space heater include GoW and Destiny 2, most other recent games have been fine.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you should switch. So there won't be any misinformation all the time.
Maybe this thread will help though.

Last edited:

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Is every enhanced game like this? For instance, is Ni no Kuni 2 going to do this to my system too? Dark Souls 3, GoW, Pyre (seriously), and HZD destroy my Pro.
I can at least second your listed games as ones that make the Pro fans go crazy loud. Don't know about NNK2 but my Pro also was very loud when playing Last Guardian e.g.

How much quieter is the slim? I am thinking of selling my Pro and "downgrading" to the slim because I am so sick of this shit.
That's one of the reasons I downgraded, too. The Slim is noticeably quieter compared to the Pro, though there are people with bad luck where the Slim got pretty loud as well. It's a lottery, really.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I didn't notice it with Horizon but with GoW (and at times MHW) at times it sounds like a B52 Bomber taking off.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I know how much annoying and frustrating the Pro is but you'll never accept the downgrade after doing it. The noise is always there from the moment you start the game?
Because when I played Horizon my Pro was fine and even God of War. The console only prepared for take off when I open the menu

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
No, certainly not every game. Only those particularly taxing (GoW, Horizon at times).
Like, Far Cry 5 is Pro optimized, but it certainly doesn't make my pro go into overdrive as much as these other games.

And there's ceratinly consoles that are louder than some.

I'd much rather play GoW with fan noise than with frame drops below 30 though.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think the only reason it becomes loud is because the temperature in your room isnt cold enough for it.

I have played many games with pro support and it never made any sounds for me honestly

Niaboc

Nov 2, 2017
I mainly use my xbox one x, but had a ps4slim and now a ps4pro for exclusives. Both are extremely noisy and my wife complains anytime I use the ps4 due to the noise in the room from the fan.

Nov 8, 2017
Headphones are the best option, but I can't stand the sound of headphones without Dolby Headphone support, which can make it an expensive option.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Any game that uses GPU fully from ALUs to ROPs will heat the machine a lot.

Will be interesting to see how hot the machine gets in Dreams and Claybook as they are compute based renderers. (And well optimized, so they actually use a lot of the GPU at the same time.)

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm jealous. I just finished the platinum for God of War a few hours ago and my PS 4 pro sounded like it was getting ready for space flight. Issue doesn't happen that often for me, but recent examples that have turned my PS4 pro into a hairdryer/space heater include GoW and Destiny 2, most other recent games have been fine.

That being said, we usually use the slim, mainly because we don't get much benefit otherwise at our tv/distance. GoW still looks beautiful.

user__

Oct 25, 2017
I never had a loud console in my life, these threads make me want to never upgrade from my 2nd model, super-quiet, fat PS4. I hate playing with my old pc in the same room just for this reason. I hope Sony will seriously consider a new revision of the Pro with a better cooling system, the sooner the better.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
No it doesn't? Have you tried removing the hood and cleaning the fan and around it with compressed air?

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
It really is quite annoying issue with the Pro. If there ever comes a revised model Pro that fixes this I will get it asap.

Btw, it really isn't a room temperature / ventilation issue, cleaning the dust from the fan helps a bit (this kind of cleaning should be done with all kinds all electronics semi-regularily anyway), but it is not a fix either.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Well, the more a game uses the hardware the more heat it will generate.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about anyone else but I got my Pro a few weeks ago and no matter if I'm playing God of War, Tekken 6, FFIX or San Andreas it's pretty quiet especially compared to my standard PS4. The base was extremely loud.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I've ever heard my pro at all. Granted I play in 5.1 and like it loud.

My pc fans on the other hand....

Mar 17, 2018
You all need to switch to fucking headphones and stop worrying about this shit unless it is blowing your GPU up. Seriously man. Buy nice headphones. Profit in multiple ways. IDK. I have a Samsung SSD in mine on an open air wire rack and it doesn't get too mad for the most part. Supersampling on tough games can rev it up decently, but nothing too bad in the basement where I have the furnace fan running. I can go directly behind it, and the thing has rarely been jet engine loud with my setup. Normal HDDs will of course output more heat, so maybe a good SSD helps a tiny tiny bit.

Do a lot of you literally live in a zero dB household? Like what the fuck lol...

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I didn't think my Pro was loud until I bought a One X. That thing is silent compared to Sony's machine. After a few days of research I decided to replace the thermal interface material with liquid metal.

The improvement was significant. It's not quite as whisper quite as my Xbox, but the fan noise did drop by a good 10-15 decibels. Of course, I don't recommend doing this without prior experience, liquid metal is very tricky and you run the risk of ruining your PS4 if you do it wrong.

EDIT: This was the guide I followed:

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
Got to be honest have the volume up really loud anyway so any noise doesn't bother me. I don't expect it to be silent, and I'm not upset that it isn't. I like supersampling and the Pro's faster load times enough that I prefer it over the slim.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
All the Pro-enhanced games aren't loud for me, God of War is pretty much an exception. Several of them are loud during menus, maps and/or cutscenes though, but pretty quiet otherwise, like it was with Horizon Zero Dawn and Rise of the Tomb Raider for example. I wish they'd fix the issue.

The lack of fan noise isn't about the TV volume, since I tend to keep it pretty low due to tinnitus, which is also why I avoid using headphones if possible. Unfrotunately, that wasn't the case with GOW.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't think my Pro was loud until I bought a One X. That thing is silent compared to Sony's machine. After a few days of research I decided to replace the thermal interface material with liquid metal.

The improvement was significant. It's not quite as whisper quite as my Xbox, but the fan noise did drop by a good 10-15 decibels. Of course, I don't recommend doing this without prior experience, liquid metal is very tricky and you run the risk of ruining your PS4 if you do it wrong.

Putting tape on the aluminum around it is actually a very good idea, because i don't have faith in me to not miss it by accident.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not every Pro game does it, only a few offenders in my experience.

Horizon
Wolfenstein 2
God of War

All made the fan so loud felt like it was about to explode.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
The only time my pro got really loud was when I'd pause /map screen in god of war. Was quiet otherwise.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my case it's only GOW, WW2 and wolfenstine 2 I've had issues with.

After GOW I was ready to throw it out, but thought I would follow one of the strip down YouTube videos and see if I can 'unblock' what ever might be the cause.

I followed the guide step by step couldn't find anything clogging up the air flow in the fan and heat sink. The thermal paste looked patchy like it wasn't covering the full chip so I spread it across the chip again and rebuilt the console.

I sat there praying to the gods it would turn back on! Luckily it fired straight back up and you know what I haven't heard a peep from it while playing WW2 and other games since.

But! I also haven't tried GOW since as I traded it back in while the value is high so only effectively cost me £10 to own and play GOW

Another note I should mention is that the fan in mine is known as the 'quiet' fan, so god knows how the loud fan sounds while playing GOW

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised to see my Pro isn't as loud with GOW as the legends foretold. It's regular fan noise most of the time, and only gets crazy when in the shop.

So as long as I'm not upgrading something, it's pretty standard experience for me.

Don't think going back to a regular ps4 would be worth it for those 2 minutes of loud shop browsing to be honest, I'd rather keep my improved resolution/performance

Oct 27, 2017
Every now and then I'm thinking about upgrade to Pro, but because of these threads I'm still holding off. I'm absolutely sure I'll get one of "jet engine" units and will return it after a while, so why bother at all. I hope they'll release Pro Slim with better cooling soon.
OP, as for Slim, in some scenarioit can be loud too, but it's nothing close to hairdryer.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I believe Sony uses two suppliers regarding fans, and that one of them is a noisy one. Not sure if this is correct, but it's a bit of a lottery.

GoW seems to be the biggest culprit tho at the moment.

beeswax

Oct 30, 2017

Do you remove the tape once the application of liquid metal is done or just leave it in there?

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YEah just opened my PS4 pro replaced the stock paste with some noctua good stuff. They really applied the paste sloppily too it was running all over the circuit board when I opened it up :/

It's been nice and quiet since then too

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Do you remove the tape once the application of liquid metal is done or just leave it in there?

Yes, it's recommended to leave the tape there to insulate the surroundings in case the liquid metal seeps out. Nail polish is a popular substitute, but I prefer to use liquid electrical tape instead (didn't even know these things existed before lol).

If this is your first time I recommend using (good) thermal paste. It's less of a hassle to put on and you will still see drastic improvements over the stock paste Sony uses. I did this with my OG PS4 years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yes, it's recommended to leave the tape there to insulate the surroundings in case the liquid metal seeps out. Nail polish is a popular substitute, but I prefer to use liquid electrical tape instead (didn't even know these things existed before lol).

If this is your first time I recommend using (good) thermal paste. It's less of a hassle to put on and you will still see drastic improvements over the stock paste Sony uses. I did this with my OG PS4 years ago.

Liquid metal...hmmm
I have been having luck with 3 external case fans in reducing the noise but this looks promising
hopefully e3 they release a pro revision that does not suck when it comes to noise

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
Has this loudness lottery ever been demostrated? I'd imagine it's more depended on if the games have segments with unlocked framerate, usually map screens and menus. Cause those will push the PS4 regardless of model.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Clean out your vents people. It makes a noticeable difference just to run a cotton swab over them and collect loose hairs.

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not all Pro's sound equal. 3/4s of them have Nidec fans and are reasonably silent and 1/4 of them can be really noisy.

So it is wrong to say that the PS4 Pro sounds like rocket ship. Yours might but somebody else's might be much quieter in the same context.

Deleted member 16743

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You all need to switch to fucking headphones and stop worrying about this shit unless it is blowing your GPU up. Seriously man. Buy nice headphones. Profit in multiple ways. IDK. I have a Samsung SSD in mine on an open air wire rack and it doesn't get too mad for the most part. Supersampling on tough games can rev it up decently, but nothing too bad in the basement where I have the furnace fan running. I can go directly behind it, and the thing has rarely been jet engine loud with my setup. Normal HDDs will of course output more heat, so maybe a good SSD helps a tiny tiny bit.

Do a lot of you literally live in a zero dB household? Like what the fuck lol...

Thought I'd give you my perspective on this one, so others who also think this can see it too!!

Basically; "yes".

My 3 year old daughter sleeps at night but is a light sleeper and my wife and I do extremely quiet activities (huh huh huh...) every evening because of that. If we watch a film it's at, like, 6 on the 1-100 volume on the Tele. If my wife falls asleep early then I might get some gaming in... but the fans of the ps4 are louder than my teles volume. So just put in headphones? Can't, because I need to listen out for my daughter. No ps4 gaming for me!

Very inconvenient and if if could pay £x to reduce that noise I would!

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
God of War is the only game that gets really loud on my Pro, Horizon and Uncharted 4 were fairly quiet in comparison.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
God of War is the only game that gets really loud on my Pro, Horizon and Uncharted 4 were fairly quiet in comparison.

Horizon was fairly quiet for me during actual gameplay, but was loud when viewing map pre-patch, and during cutscenes post-patch. Uncharted 4 was a bit louder than Horizon during gameplay, and loud when switching chapters via menu. Neither was as loud as GOW in any situation.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I own a slim and I sometimes worry that I need to upgrade to a Pro for games that receive the "enhancement treatment"

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know what to say :/ . If you prefer aliasing and shimmering to the the rumours go to the slim. But after seen The Witcher 3 or even RoTR in CBR, I can't go back to the base ps4 "poor" IQ.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
My Slim is like a rocket ship. It's luck of the draw whether you buy a Pro or a Slim - they both suffer with noise if you're one of the unlucky ones.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
There are two brands of fans in use: Nidec and Delta. You must have the Delta. Easy enough to check what you have, so see if you can find a different system to swap with, or replace the fan yourself.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 family are great consoles that are badly engineered and put together as cheap as possible.

They will all be jet engines eventually because of the way they are constructed.

Depending on how much dust they have to deal with in your house it might take longer, but it will happen.

Madsenpai

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah every enchanted game makes it louder. But not all of them is at same level. More demanding games like GoW and Horizon makes it like jet engine. The thing is if the game is not enchanted it's quietest them all.