• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not bothered. The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played and nothing about the occasional "push this crate" or "help this character across the water" impacted that in any sort of negative way.

Raidero

Mar 15, 2019
It's nothing but artificial game lengthening tedious bullshit, so yes it does bother me.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Low points for sure. The areas were not designed to be explored at your own pace. The game itself thinks it has to prompt a "HINT" for the player thinking the player might be stuck.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I've always said, they fit the narrative, theme of the game.

ND even had Ellie comment on it at least once AFAIK, like being self aware.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I don't remember all the specifics, but I believe Left Behind eschewed that type of gating and replaced it with one-off character building events that used the more general LoU mechanics (like throwing bricks at cars or water gun fights). I would suspect that this points more in the direction of where LoU2 will go.

My theories on why the LoU puzzles are the way they are:
1) ND likely wanted a way to interact with the world that didn't come out the barrel of a gun (the game was developed in the heyday of "the mechanics of your game define the true narrative and theme of it")
2) they are likely a vestigial organ of the game's Uncharted roots.
3) you can't put real puzzles that might stump someone on the critical path of your game that has the macro design of a movie, it's antithetical. Any puzzle that is interesting, by design, needs to be at least somewhat challenging. But LoU is a game looking to convey very specific feelings in the player and "can't figure out this puzzle, so I guess I'll turn it off for the evening" is not one of them.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really have an issue with the "puzzles". I appreciated the downtime between encounters. I don't understand what else people who complain about them want in those parts of the game.

Simple enough to not be too disruptive, just enough to keep you interacting.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
"They're supposed to be bad."

They should be more mindless. It's like they made them complex enough for you to have to pay attention to the puzzles instead of focusing on the dialogue. They aren't deal breakers or anything though.

To be fair, narrative driven games aren't meant to be replayed (or not as much as other games, at least)

Considering there's higher difficulty levels and trophies, they clearly want you to replay the game to at least some degree, and moments like these make replaying this game more of a chore than it should be.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. They're a nice change of pace from all the fighting/scavenging IMO.

Also I wouldn't even classify them as puzzles.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit, and I feel the same way about God of War. I'm kind of over doing filler braindead puzzles just to give the characters time to prattle on. I'd rather just walk on a straight road or something or just not have filler

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Theyre not puzzles, theyre just slow activities we get while the game loads and we get some cute conversations to develop characters.
This couldn't be repeated enough considering all the reactions here.

Makes me think of how people notice the very long loading time at the start, but totally forget that there is no visual loading time after that initial one.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Yes. The whole gameplay is very dull and unimaginative though, so they hardly stand out.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
These are great, love the lore implications pertaining to the once booming Ladder and Pallet industry.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like you really wanted them to be puzzles but yeah, they aren't puzzles and clearly weren't meant to be.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The ladders/dumpsters were really tedious. This is one thing that I really disliked about UC4 as well, the god damn boxes. I wouldn't even consider them puzzles, they were just minor annoyances that slowed the pacing to a standstill.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's a very minor part of the game that is arguably there just for exposition and increasing the feeling of immersion in the world. I'd hardly call them puzzles, and if they are they are like 5% of the game. Frankly, it's...odd how often it's been brought up ever since the game released.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they're a waste of time, made me end my playthrough of the remaster even though I finally got the 60fps I wanted so much.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Who enjoys them except for the lowest common denominator, for whom they were tailored to begin with?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think, at some point during the months and months they spent traveling, Joel could have gotten around to teaching Ellie how to swim.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
They're mini puzzles and they're fine and help the pacing of the game and provide slower moments for character interaction. And there aren't too many of them in the game.

Compare this to the puzzles in RE4, which are a bit more challenging such as the color puzzle at the church or the Ashley sliding puzzle. RE4's pacing was sublime but, I was a dumb kid when I played it and had serious trouble with the puzzles which really disrupted the pacing of the game for me.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
1) It's not Ucharted so it wouldn't make any sense to have them in there. TLoU isn't about treasure hunting so it'd be odd to have puzzles in there.

2) TBH I'm glad. They're OK the first time but to me often spoil any replays in action adventure games because you've already done them and it's often just tedious to do the same 'turn this statue this way, turn this statue the other way' again and again.

I'd love to see an option to skip them pop up if you've already completed the game.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're more just kinda uninteresting than straight up terrible. They're fine at giving you something that's not combat or just walking. I would not mind if they had more engaging stuff for the sequel.
Yeah they're just sort of there/low effort, but I didn't mind them much.

(Then again the game was a 'play it once and done' for me.)
Yep ruins replayability a lot
Rather not have any of those puzzles. Soooo boring. Must be better rays to have dialogue sections ina game
"Oh, they're just obstacles/a pacing tool" posts are missing the point. Surely, a team as talented as Naughty Dog can conjure a more enjoyable way to spend downtempo moments than the most rote task possible.
I think it's less puzzles and more busywork, but either way I do not enjoy them
It's nothing but artificial game lengthening tedious bullshit, so yes it does bother me.
Whatever people want to call them, theyre lame and time wasting.
i dont think boring the player is an intended choice...unless it is then...i guess.
Of course. Who enjoys them except for the lowest common denominator, for whom they were tailored to begin with?

These replies are laughably bad takes. They are loading screens. They're not time wasting because without them you'd be staring a loading bar for just as long. The fact that so many of you don't know this proves how well they hide as much.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
The game had puzzles? I don't remember that. I remember some busy work like moving conveniently placed ladders and such but that doesn't really take away from the masterful experience which was TLOU.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Most "Puzzles" in action games are ass. in DMCV there is a quote from Dante where you literally have to look left or right see where you are going and he says "been a while since I have had to use my brain" since RE4 most puzzles have been like those simple maze puzzles you used to play as a kid. with the rare exception of course.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're not really puzzles, they're just sequences that have minimal mechanical engagement because they want you to focus on the story and whatever other technical reasons.

It's a creative choice that I understand and appreciate but that doesn't mean that I enjoy it and it certainly hurts replayability.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
These replies are laughably bad takes. They are loading screens. They're not time wasting because without them you'd be staring a loading bar for just as long. The fact that so many of you don't know this proves how well they hide as much.
Well they aren't loading screens since then we actually would be looking at a loading bar.

Terribly boring puzzles aren't really an excuse. They could have been more interesting or engaging or hell I would have taken walking thru a small but cool looking environment while the characters continued to talk over them.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I would not call those sections puzzles, and I enjoyed them. Traversal would be hard in those derelict urban areas.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well they aren't loading screens since then we actually would be looking at a loading bar.

You have no clue. A lot of games mask their loading screens with stuff like this. You think God of War never loads? TLoU hides their loading screens with this stuff, just like other games mask it with running through tunnels, etc. You're not going to get full fledged gameplay while the game is loading. They're interactive loading screens.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

They are in part masking a loading screne, but "you'd be staring at the loading bar for just as long" is not true. Some of the ladder/swimming obsticles are a few minutes long, and somehow i doubt that's how it would actually take the game to load the next section. Furthermore, sometimes a static 30 second loading screen could be preferred over something mechanically mundane.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It doesn't bother me, but of course it affects my opinion of the game. It's just one of the many game elements that I thought prevented The Last of Us from fulfilling its potential.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I see them as boring unskippable cutscenes. I can't stand that kind of stuff. I'm not against downtime moments but they need to be more interesting than that.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I barely noticed them so they weren't that bad to me. They certainly weren't as bad as Ellie's terrible, immersion breaking AI. Trying to sneak past a group of clickers while she did her ballet recital in front of them destroyed that game for me and turned it into a joke. Let's hope ND studied Bioshock Infinite and learned how AI partners should behave.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I never seem to mind them for some reason. Only one that grates is the Salt Lake City stuff because that whole last level is so anti climactic after 'Winter'. You can do the whole level by only strangling 2 runners, bow shot one more and shoot 1 clicker and 1 soldier.