• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
These replies are laughably bad takes. They are loading screens. They're not time wasting because without them you'd be staring a loading bar for just as long. The fact that so many of you don't know this proves how well they hide as much.
Have you considered: I realize this but find even doing nothing better than these OG Tomb Raider-ass tasks. I get why you would want your game to not have loading screens, but I do not find the trade-off of doing pointless & uninteresting stuff instead worth it.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
They're there to mask loading screens and these sections make up for less than 5% of the game so they don't bother me. I would ratber have them than the portal in God of War or loading screens in most games.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
No. It slows down the pace but also let the characters interact with each other while you do something different than just walking. It also fits some situations authentically, not every obstacle is take by walking only.

There are no real puzzles, though. It's simple item/object interaction. And seeing it like this, there's no problem with it.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
These replies are laughably bad takes. They are loading screens. They're not time wasting because without them you'd be staring a loading bar for just as long. The fact that so many of you don't know this proves how well they hide as much.

Got a source on this? A GDC talk or something?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I do not consider them puzzles so I can not judge them as such but they were annoying to me. I know they are to hide loading screens but that does not make them entertaining.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Those 'puzzles' just fit the game. In fact is a 'disadvantage' that grounded games usually have vs fantasy games, since everything has to be coherent with the world.
So i disagree.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
This and the brainless climbing is what makes me dislike this type of adventure game, it's just a complete waste of my time and almost insulting the intelligence of the players.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
It's pure filler, but there's very little of it. It's one of the few easy-to-see flaws, though, and gets massively overblown.

Z'ard

Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
I don't mind more complex puzzles with planks etc. if they are believable in part 2, but overall part1 did a good job, except for maybe one or two.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
This and the brainless climbing is what makes me dislike this type of adventure game, it's just a complete waste of my time and almost insulting the intelligence of the players.
It's like less than 5% of the game though and allow for some good character moments. Are they really a deal-breaker?

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
The fact that some of you are actually under the impression that these are puzzles is insulting the intelligence of ME, right now...

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's an action adventure game, so I really didn't care that the puzzles were basic, as it's not a puzzle game and having hard puzzles would stop the flow of the story, which would suck.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are something to do when the story unfolds instead of just walking - not fun but in the context the were fine imo

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
It mostly bothers me how repetitive they are. How many times am I gonna find a pallet to toss in the water for Ellie to stand on to get across? Change it up a little, Dog

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
It's like less than 5% of the game though and allow for some good character moments. Are they really a deal-breaker?
Well, maybe I should not have said I disliked the game as a whole because I did enjoy the last of us despite the environmental puzzles (actually the immersion breaking companion AI was its biggest flaw in the end) but it just always made my eyes roll every time they occured.

Maybe it's because I like puzzle games a lot but, imo, either you think of a clever puzzle to place in your action game or don't place any.

Even Zelda sometimes does very simple puzzles that are also way too superfluous and obvious but, at least in the case of Zelda, they serve the purpose of showing you a simple puzzle mechanic that they will develop further in subsequent puzzles so it is all justified.

Naughty dog have the people and the budget to think of something better to fill in between the action sequences than moving a pallet from point a to b.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
They do what they are supposed to as grounded and meaningful story progression segments, downtime from intense - perhaps stressful - action, and as others have mentioned they are there to mask loading screens like a lot of slow walking sections are designed for. If it were a puzzle game, I think them being bad would ruin the experience.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
They remind me of the forced walking sections in Gears of War . While I don't think they are they are there to mask loading , I do think they are there to allow for extended dialogue

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
I understand that they used it as a narrative Device and I guess a loading screen. But it doesn't excuse the fact that I hated them every time they came up. A great game can still have flaws we can discuss. This was a huge one for me.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Here on Era (and on GAF back in the old days), The Last of Us is held up as a game of a generation. I still see people singing it's praises from time to time and the sequel astronomically high expectations around it. And I really like TLOU too; the combat is tense, the graphics were stunning for their time, and the story is one of the best that the video game medium has given us thus far.

That being said, there's one rough aspect of the game that time seems to have smoothed over- the puzzles. The puzzles are rote and boring. They often consist of carrying ladders and pushing pallets. Hardly adding to the fantasy of surviving a zombie apocalypse and forming a relationship with your surrogate daughter. Do you agree the puzzles are shitty? Do you care? Do they affect your overall perception of the game to any degree?

I never thought they were puzzles. I'm pretty sure they are loading "screens". (But they are indeed boring - much like the crate in Uncharted 4.)

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completely don't mind this. "Puzzles" in this game (and Uncharted) are just there for a change of pace, and they do what they set out to do. I would not want to see these changed in future installments.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I knew this. It doesnt change what I said. I'd rather take a load screen where I can grab a drink or answer a text than do busy work

ShrtAttnGmr

Feb 7, 2019
It bothers me that I started and played the game twice up until I got stuck in a dark basement with one-hit kills and never could get past it.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE4 doesn't exactly have good puzzles but is a fun game. The thing is, TLOU isn't a fun game, it is an experience yes, but not that good of a game. For me, it is definitely recommended as a rental game.

Oct 27, 2017
I am hoping the sequel fixes this.

The level design and these sections were the worst part about the game and made it way worse than it should be.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they seem like "ass" to you now, but in 2013 they were good puzzles. If I remember correctly, the puzzles are similar to Uncharted 3's but with some new additions.

I liked the puzzles. I still do.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
They are in part masking a loading screne, but "you'd be staring at the loading bar for just as long" is not true. Some of the ladder/swimming obsticles are a few minutes long, and somehow i doubt that's how it would actually take the game to load the next section. Furthermore, sometimes a static 30 second loading screen could be preferred over something mechanically mundane.
This is true, the balance could be improved upon for sure. Still I applaud them for actually masking pretty much every loading screen. This thread is testament to people not even noticing that these "puzzles" are actually mostly used to mask loading screens. Hopefully ND is a bit more creative with masking them with part II.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Most apologize for Naughty Dog and all these story driven games for having extended sessions of absolutely nothing of merit happening for hours (commonly mistaken for quiet time).

Personally they aren't game breakers for me in The Last of Us, because they are spread out enough in between genuinely good action gameplay.

Now were that game paced more like Uncharted 4, I would be far less forgiving, because it frustrated me how long you would go doing so much nothing between the linear as hell climbing and the baby puzzles.

Ideally it be nice if these puzzle segments had more just going on. Not hard per say, just more involved and requiring a bit of lateral thinking.

It speaks to a bit of a problem that these super talented studios seem to only know how to make the violent interactions have some meat to them. A lot of them do the bare minimum for the non-violent interactions.

I find it ironic how cats will meme it up about press F to pay respects, but adore the last of us press triangle to feel.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
You have no clue. A lot of games mask their loading screens with stuff like this. You think God of War never loads? TLoU hides their loading screens with this stuff, just like other games mask it with running through tunnels, etc. You're not going to get full fledged gameplay while the game is loading. They're interactive loading screens.
Yeah I know games do this....both options I gave would still allow this.

Loading is not an excuse for boring af gameplay. In God of War you fucking row a canoe and the characters talk. That is way more engaging than the boring puzzles TLOU has you do. It's a bad excuse

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
In Mass Effect, the long-ass elevator rides were the loading screens. Characters chatter.

In Dark Souls 2, a lot of areas are separated via small tunnels with lever activated gates to mask the loading, and you have to activate them everytime you wanna go between these areas.

In God of War, the fast travel loading takes the form of walking around a long tree corridor until the area loads. Characters chatter as well.

In TLOU, these ladder "puzzles" act as a loading screen, there's chatter as well. I say, the last of us masks the loading the best in the way that 99% of people don't realize it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I wouldn't call them puzzles at all, but I would call it unnecessary padding but it's not a big issue in an otherwise well paced game.

The puzzles in the Uncharted games on the other hand, are a fucking joke though. Their only saving grace is that at least they're better than the puzzles in the recent Tomb Raider games. IMHO, get a talented puzzle designer on board to do them properly or don't do them at all. Talos Principle, QUBE, Turing Test, Portal etc, all show how good and engaging puzzles can be in a 3D world when designed by a talented team.