• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I keep seeing people saying they're just there for laoding screens. While I'm sure that's a benefit of them, Neil Druckman said they're by design.
Why all the ladders and crates?
Pacing, and trying to get you to work with your ally. How can I work with my ally to get through a space? Is it through a boost? Is it through a crate?

But you think it helps bind you to the characters.
I do. It's the same reason we couldn't make combat work in The Last of Us without Ellie shooting. For the longest time, the story was that Ellie would never kill anybody, until the end of the game when she had to kill someone to save Joel.

And we realized, you're just forgetting about your ally. You're like, "Oh wait, what are they doing again? I have this thing that's following me around, but they're not engaging in the actions I'm taking."

Believe it or not, we had way more boxes and ladder boosts than what the game actually ended up with. This is a much-reduced version of that.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
As other's have said, I would classify them as puzzles. Puzzles have a problem to solve, this is literally just moving an object to a place to move forward.

It's like I got triggered with Destiny players calling platforming sections "jump puzzles" and somehow got sent to a different game thread. Do we not have any idea what a real puzzle is, therefore anything not guided and straightforward is now a puzzle?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call the ladder/pallet stuff a puzzle at all, just as "carry the square crank to the square hole" in classic Resident Evil games isn't a puzzle either.

Those things are just activities designed to get you to visit point C as a prerequisite to going from A to B.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
"They are not puzzles"

Isn't a defense folks. Whatever the label is, the point is they are mindless interactions in the game. And they can and should be expanded on to be more interesting than simply existing for down time.

Quiet time can be handled fine with less intense gameplay segments.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
To be honest it's why Uncharted and TLOU havent reached their full potential. They havent yet figured out how to make that stuff exciting. And no dialog doesnt cover for it all

But I think the actual puzzles are the best part about Uncharted.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They break the pace a bit too much at times, but at other times they allow for some nice character interaction. I'd just kill it if it's filler and keep it if it adds to character development.

Suavesteve

Oct 28, 2017
Hell no. I don't like good action sequences just to be slowed down to a crawl because i'm not smart enough to solve them. I had that problem with Uncharted 3, some of those puzzles took me too long where I actually ended up falling asleep because I was stuck there for too long.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People getting hung up on semantics like it would be better if you look at the ladder segments as 'platforming' XD

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
i don't even remember the puzzles. that's how forgettable they were.

only UC3 had memorable puzzles, tbh.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The only "puzzles" in TLOU are the open ways in which you can approach the combat/stealth situations. I don't think ND every presents the environmental navigation as "puzzles" per se, as it would feel totally out of place to have, for example, RE style logic in the games solutions.

The entertaining bits of the last of us
-combat+cinematics
-quite moments+in game dialogue
-set pieces
-
-
-
-
-
-everything that has to do with ladders/dumpster/valves/swimming/watching a help the npc climb this wall/and every other transparent loading screen

In higher difficulties, I think another part of the gameplay is exploring every nook and cranny of the environment in order to ensure you have enough crafting resources. It may not be deep but it is kind of enjoyable.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
just like uncharted, they are incredibly boring and completely destroy any motivation i have for replaying the games. you can break up the pace and not include mind numbing sections where you move a crate slowly. the dialogue isn't usually interesting or entertaining enough to distract from it either.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I wouldn't mind if it they weren't "pick this table to cross the water" like three or four times