• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of differences in the fighting systems, so its kind of hard because it just comes down to what focus you prefer more. MHW is up there though
Exactly. This is only slightly less meaningless than the post from the other day saying Japanese games "have the best gameplay."

Like what the shit does that even mean?

Talon

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Each games combat system needs to thrive within the overall context of the game: The reason MHW's combat system works is because the nature of hunting monsters allows it to work. Could you imagine trying to use a combat system like that in a game like DMC or Bloodborne or Nioh? Half the weapons would be too unwieldy.

Do I think that MHW has the best combat system this gen overall? Probably not. Do I think it has an excellent one within the context of its game? Absolutely.

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
I think so. I used to hate MHW combat at first until I tried Insect Glaive, it's just so much fluid and fun. The fights are the most epic I've ever seen in video games. I haven't played Bloodborne or Nioh so I don't know if MHW's combat is better or not. I don't get why people say GOW has better combat though?!

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Nope Nioh has it beat easily.

The combat of MHW is incredibly fun and feels great once you learn to control it but there's really not much depth to it, that isn't saying simplicity is bad it just simply lacks something that elevates it to another level.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
God no. I like the move set and the feel of the weapons but there's little to no creativity involved in its limited amount of straight combat options. It can't compare to something like Nioh.

TheOasis

Oct 28, 2017
Seems more like you have issues with tools that assist combat than the combat itself. The combat feels fundamentally the same with the external factors you mentioned making fights more forgiving.

Nope. Even if you exclude items, tools and external factors MHW still fundamentally changed the main factors that the combat boils down to compared to previous MH titles. The main factors being the monster design, weapon moveset and hunter movement options. Monsters have random movement patterns in MHW world whereas in previous MH games they had predictable movement patterns. When I use the term "movement patterns" I'm referring to how the monsters move around, space and position themselves.

It's obvious that to compensate for the randomness in the way the monster's move around in MHW that the MH team at Capcom redesigned the hunter movement so that the player could deal with it effectively. They did that by increasing the fluidity and mobility in many different ways like: Increased movement speeds, 4 way dodge at all times, quicker sheathing, less lag/recovery frames on animations and the ability to cancel out of most animations earlier than previous MH games.

From my previous discussions with others on this topic, whether or not you find the randomness aspect of monsters in MHW easier or harder than the predictable nature of the previous game depends on who you ask apparently. Personally, as someone who likes to speed run monsters to get the best kill time I can get, I find the randomness in MHW makes the combat far, far easier to play even without the overpowered items and tools.

However, the predictable movement patterns from previous MH games definitely allow for much more gameplay depth than the random movement patterns in MHW. If your interested why that is I went into detail about it in a previous thread:
Basically though, Monster Hunter has always been a game with a difficulty level that could "customized" to your liking. You can make it easier or harder for yourself based on all kinds of optional factors like: solo or multiplayer, what skills you have, what items you choose to use etc.

In previous games, one of these factors was being able to attack the absolute "weakest" spot(s) of the monster (not all weak spots are equal, some weak spots deal more damage if you hit them) and stick to attacking only the specific spot(s) for the entire hunt and the way you did this consistently was through positioning. Positioning in previous games allowed you to influence monster attack and movement pattern choice but not 100% because there was still some RNG. This play style was immensely difficult because it required you to have god-like execution and precision (takes hundreds of hours to master) and was only possible due to the predictable nature of monster movement patterns. This play style also happened to give you the best kill times in previous games.

MHW has random movement patterns so you can't play like I described above. It is simply ineffective to try to stick to only hitting the same one or two weakest spots of a monster for the entire hunt, you have to be able to react well to randomness instead and that has all kinds of implications. Like all the gameplay changes that have been made to accommodate and support this design change and how that also changes the best, optimal way to approach combat. For me personally, as someone who speed runs for fun, the predictable patterns and the high-level of precision that the allowed for in previous games was far harder to actually execute than any kind of play style that MHW offers.

Last edited:

Talon

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I'm curious, but in what regard? For the most part MHW has the same movesets with more options and better controls.

The styles change how some weapons are played in dramatic ways, for example Valor LS gives a guardpoint and puts you even more on the offensive than foresight slash does. It's sheath allows you to change attack directions without the backwards movement too if you don't use it to evade which allows you to pressure monsters even more.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
GoW, Bloodborne, Nioh...MHW isn't remotely in the top tier. It's the best MH game I've played but it still feels slow and clunky. I see the videos of experts doing cool stuff but that'll never be me. I just don't enjoy playing the game both due to controls and the sadistic base concept.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Even if you exclude items, tools and external factors MHW still fundamentally changed the main factors that the combat boils down to compared to previous MH titles. The main factors being the monster design, weapon moveset and hunter movement options. Monsters have random movement patterns in MHW world whereas in previous MH games they had predictable movement patterns. When I use the term "movement patterns" I'm referring to how the monsters move around, space and position themselves.

It's obvious that to compensate for the randomness in the way the monster's move around in MHW that the MH team at Capcom redesigned the hunter movement so that the player could deal with it effectively. They did that by increasing the fluidity and mobility in many different ways like: Increased movement speeds, 4 way dodge at all times, quicker sheathing, less lag/recovery frames on animations and the ability to cancel out of most animations earlier than previous MH games.

From my previous discussions with others on this topic, whether or not you find the randomness aspect of monsters in MHW easier or harder than the predictable nature of the previous game depends on who you ask apparently. Personally, as someone who likes to speed run monsters to get the best kill time I can get, I find the randomness in MHW makes the combat far, far easier to play even without the overpowered items and tools.

However, the predictable movement patterns from previous MH games definitely allow for much more gameplay depth than the random movement patterns in MHW. If your interested why that is I went into detail about it in a previous thread:

Ok

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Picking a fighting game would be cheating, right?

I would like to play what the rest of the generation has to offer first. We still have games that live or die based on their combat coming out.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I like it a lot but I had more fun with God of War and Horizon ZD. Insect glaive is a great weapon though.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Not a single mention of For Honor? The combat in that game is incredible. The only thing that would make it better is motion control.

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I would say so in terms of agency and options you get as a player. Each weapon has so much cool shit going on.

Also DMCV ain't out yet :D

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Best non-Platinum combat? Yeah, sure.

Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are both great.

But a good hammer is the best in Monster Hunter. The Big Bang combos feel so fun to pull off.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Best non-Platinum combat? Yeah, sure.

Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are both great.

But a good hammer is the best in Monster Hunter. The Big Bang combos feel so fun to pull off.

Those are both last gen titles anyway. Once Bayo 3 releases though, it'll probably take the crown. That or DMC5.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
mhw is still my goty so yeah
when dmcv releases it'll probably beat mhw's combat, just from gamescom it already looks amazing

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Long Sword main here , but IMO no . The movesets looks great from the gif , but there isn't much more after that and I find it too repetitive . Also , movements are sluggish but I understand that's part of MH .

So far Bloodborne is already one of the better one this gen , I had more fun with the parry system and Chikage or Rakuyo . And then watch out for DMCV .

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
For me Bayo 2, GoW, DS3, BB, Nioh and Dead Cells have the most satisfying combat this gen. Id like MHW better if it was quicker and more responsive, the weapon design and attack animations are really cool though.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
God of War, Bloodborne and Horizon combat obliterates MH one.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I need to play God of War but for me, yeah it's MHW. the variety of archetypes and the complexity of each weapons makes it so satisfying and fun.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. I wouldn't even call it good, but that's my opinion. I also do not care for Souls games or Bloodborne style combat systems.

Jun 4, 2018
Can't say I feel it is. I prefer FFXV, MGSV, and NieR to name a few. But I've only spent real time with dual blades and great sword.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It might even have the most satisfying combat system ever for me. Ninja Gaiden Black (or NG II) is the only contender.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Yes, correct. The switch is in the PS5 generation. If we go by your cybertaxonomy system, the Wii U is in the same generation as the PS3, and the GBA is in the PS1 Gen.

No, it just goes to show you that not all platform generations evenly align with each other's timelines. In other words, what's current gen for a company is not based on a standardized number of successors for every company, but each company's most recent successor's relative position to the present time period. The Switch is Nintendo's current generation system, irrespective of the successors for other companies. Next-gen is reserved for the advent of the future generation, and the Switch is well past that stage (which is why we're not still calling it the NX). The Switch is a fully released product and its place in Nintendo's timeline of released products does not depend on the releases of products from other companies. That's not how generations work.

So if Switch is current gen for Nintendo (and it 100% objectively is), then the Wii U is last-gen for Nintendo. And since Bayo 2 and Wonderful 101 originated on the Wii U, they are Nintendo's last-gen products. None of this has anything to do with the number of generations for any of the other companies. Time is relative, and subsequently generations are relative as well.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Nope Nioh has it beat easily.

The combat of MHW is incredibly fun and feels great once you learn to control it but there's really not much depth to it, that isn't saying simplicity is bad it just simply lacks something that elevates it to another level.

There is a lot of depth to the combat. Firstly in knowing the weak points of a boss, knowing what your specific weapon excels at and mastering the best way to utilize it. The charge blade in particular has a ton of depth in its moveset. I love the way the game handles sheathing your weapon as an important concept and using aerial attacks to climb onto the boss, the various items you can use, sharpening as an important mechanic etc. There is a lot of depth.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get the Bloodborne is the better game overall, but I don't see why it's getting more attention in this thread than Dark Souls 3.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I only played MH1 and now jumped to world so for me it's great especially going dual wield + demon mode = Bayblade . That being said I miss using the analog stick to attack..

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
It's great, probably the best in PS4 until DMCV arrives, but I Think Bayo 2 it's Still superior (Even having worse combat than the first one).

Oct 25, 2017
No and I can't even begin to decide which game had my favorite combat system lately because there's been so many good ones from Ys 8, Bloodborne and several others (not Bayo 2, though it feels good at a basic level). However, it is definitely incredible in it's own right and a huge part of me not minding the "grind" whatsoever. The gameplay stands on it's own no matter how much repetition there is.