• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

how far from your tv do you sit

• <1 m

Votes: 93 7.1%
  • 1-2 m

Votes: 440 33.5%
  • 2–5 m

Votes: 720 54.8%
  • 5–10 m

Votes: 53 4.0%
  • >10 m

Votes: 7 0.5%

• Total voters

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I sit on the floor about a meter from my TV, which is quite low to the ground. I just grew up playing like that.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I sit about 6 ft away from a 55" 4K TV, which seems pretty normal to me. Death Stranding's text size was definitely too small. But looks like patch fixed it.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I sit roughly 2+ meters from my 55" 4K, and usually play games at or near that res too. Sitting even closer to a TV bc the fonts are small seems like a bad fix.

I sit maybe 1-1.5 meters from my computer monitors too, which range from 24 to 30 inches.

I sit about 6 ft away from a 55" 4K TV, which seems pretty normal to me. Death Stranding's text size was definitely too small. But looks like patch fixed it.
Yeah, I could make it out easily enough but if my TV was smaller and I was playing in 1080p, it would have been a headache reading all the smaller text.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
42" at 2.5 to 3 meters for me. Thinking about getting one of those poang or whatever it's called chairs from Ikea so I can sit closer. Text is way too small in some games.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how a small part of me is still afraid of the radiation of TVs after having it beat into my head as a little kid with CRTs that you had to be like 6 feet away minimum.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of devs just implementing the option for larger subtitle text, why don't I rearrange my whole living room so I can sit closer to the TV? Who needs coffee tables anyway?

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
V03lDr5.png
This is honestly what I thought this thread was referring to, haha!

I sit about 9 feet from a 65 inch tv. So I guess that's around 3 meters.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I'm legally blind so I sit very close. Sometimes I have to stand in front of the TV to try to read text, or if a game requires me to react more quickly.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is the point of getting a nice TV when you're sitting that close and everything looks pixelated? Gross. Unless I had eye issues, I'd sit back pretty far to get a prettier picture. I hear it's pretty bad actually sitting very close since the brightness depletes your vision over time or something.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Minimum 6' on a couch with the tv angled down so I don't crane my neck up. 55" 4K tv, but have always done it even when a 40" screen.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
42" TV at just a bit more than 2 meters.

I sit on the ground and my head is pretty much at the center of the screen.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I sit eye level between 6 or 10 feet (2 or 3 meters) away from a 43" 4K. That's pretty much the recommended viewing distance, so it's all good.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I sit pretty damn close to my 43 inch. Close enough to where I sometimes have to physically move my head to see stuff in a corner

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Wtf is the point of getting a nice TV when you're sitting that close and everything looks pixelated? Gross. Unless I had eye issues, I'd sit back pretty far to get a prettier picture. I hear it's pretty bad actually sitting very close since the brightness depletes your vision over time or something.

Nothing is "pixelated" standing 2 foot from my 4k TV if the content is 4k.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I sit about a meter away from my 55". I used to sit further, but due to life being shit I'm back with my parents so I only play in my room at night, and I don't game from bed. Do I sit in front of my bed, immediately in front of the TV.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legally blind so I sit very close. Sometimes I have to stand in front of the TV to try to read text, or if a game requires me to react more quickly.

I'm on my way to becoming legally blind thanks to a genetic condition and I've been worried about being able to play games so it's nice to hear you're still rocking despite your vision.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I'm on my way to becoming legally blind thanks to a genetic condition and I've been worried about being able to play games so it's nice to hear you're still rocking despite your vision.

Mine is a brain issue caused by strokes. Central vision is useless, so I can't read. Access ability options are becoming better and better as well, so they should be great when you need them.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
i'm seeing a lot of complaints about text size for various games and i'm thinking, why don't you just sit closer to the tv

it's not like the cord of my headphones can go much longer than one meter from my tv anyway

for americans, a meter is 3 feet and a bit

Why can't you just plug your headphones into your controller? Assuming you're using a console.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1.7m from the 40" in the living room, 1m from the 22" in my bedroom. I'd prefer to sit further from the living room tv but the space isn't there.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
1.37 Meters or 4.5 feet from a 55" 4K TV for me. I use it for my PC and well... pretty much all my entertainment except phone and Switch games lol.

chart_Rtings.com_.jpg

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Do people really have 55" TVs in their living rooms? That's tiny, like spare bedroom or waiting room size.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
No, that sounds uncomfortable. I sit about 3 meters away from my 55" set and the only reason I even sit that close is because that's literally how far apart the walls of the room are.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
There is ridiculously far away for a 42, you should be in the 1.5 - 1.8m range for that size.

I used to sit closer but it's been fine sitting further away for a vast majority of games. It's the odd ones with tiny text that suck.

Seems like people think front row movie theatre type of experience is what you need but there really is no recommended distance. We survived gaming in on 20" tvs in the old days after all.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I used to sit closer but it's been fine sitting further away for a vast majority of games. It's the odd ones with tiny text that suck.

Seems like people think front row movie theatre type of experience is what you need but there really is no recommended distance. We survived gaming in on 20" tvs in the old days after all.

You can sit can sit any distance you want but there's an optimal distance where you get the best sharpness while being close enough to see details properly. Like if you have a 50inch 4K TV and sit 3 metres away from it you're going to struggle to see the difference in resolution compared to 1080p. There absolutely is a recommended distance when it comes to optimal viewing experience. Whether someone cares or prioritises it is a different thing entirely.

Most people don't like sitting too close and aesthetically it's better in a living room to have more room between your couch/coffee table/TV. That's why most people would rather buy a 65inch with a worse panel than a 55inch OLED.

rayhorakhty

Jul 30, 2019
I've been using a 55" 4K OLED TV as my PC monitor for at least 4 years now and sit about 2 feet or .6 meters away from it. I love it!