• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Graphics

• Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 107 35.5%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 194 64.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing the latest 2 gameplay videos makes me think that R* have surpassed the insane graphics of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Both games support :

Dynamic Weather;
High Resolution Shadows;
Amazing IQ;
Amazing Texture Work;
Insane details inside houses, places;
Beautiful Cloud system;
Day / Night Cycle;
Great foliage;
Amazing Draw Distances;
Random Wild encounters.

It just seems that Rdr2 takes things to the next level +:

Better Water rendering;
SBR on Water Surfaces;
Interactive Foliage across the board.

Last edited:

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
We have seen 15minutes of a game and another one fully. Maybe now is not the best time to call for a decision ?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes. From all accounts RDR 2 has much bigger scope and a lot more AI stuff going on.
HZD as pretty as it was , and it was pretty felt really static world .
And of course facial animation gonna be better and probably cutscene direction

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, there will be far more environmental variety as well, HZD got repetitive in that respect.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's looking to be a far more varied game, so while it looks at least on par with it technically speaking, what makes RDR2 more impressive is all of that in combination with its scope.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hard for me to tell based off Youtube video and without HDR

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the base PS4 the draw distance in Horizon Zero Dawn is pretty bad, based on what I've seen RDR2 looks better but I also think all the footage we've seen has been from the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. We'll have to wait to make a more concrete comparison.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say until it's out, but considering it's coming out on a more powerful platform i'd have to go with RDR2.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah but I guess it also had a bit more time to be developed and perfectes? Horizon was by no means rushed but I still think RDR 2 had more time and budged

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah RDR2 looks better graphically and that was the only thing H:ZD had going for it.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
We need to wait for the final game. But RDR2 is for me the best looking game. The level of details, the animation, the lighting, shadows, scale. I mean DAMNED !

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
HZD does some things better from what I've seen but RDR has it beat when it comes to animations and world detail easily.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I dunno.

Hopefully. I'm always hopeful that as a console generation progresses, games look better than the ones that came before them.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen of the PS4 Pro footage, I would say yes. But it's yet to be determined how consistent the level of graphical fidelity is throughout the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to have to wait until RDR2 is released before saying anything, because honestly that video you posted looks great, but my answer at the moment is no. I am comparing what I see on my TV with Horizon Zero Dawn to a compressed youtube video, so the comparison is not valid at all.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
From what we've seen, I'd really say so.
That said, we have no idea on which platform RDR2 was running in these videos.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait till I've played RDR2 or DF makes a video. I have no idea at the moment, comparing videos to the real thing always seems a bit early in my opinion.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dunno, haven't played RDR2 yet.

On a related note, games look way better on my TV than YouTube videos.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think it's really too early to tell. The final analysis will have to be HZD vs. RDR2 both on a PS4 Pro. Then from there, HZD (PS4Pro) vs. RDR2 on Xbox One X to really make a judgement. And down the line, all of the above vs. the PC version. Like many PS4 exclusives, HZD looks incredible, but from what I've seen so far, RDR2 wins out.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Well, it has to, its 1.5+ years old.
Artisticly, I prefer horizon, but thats me.

Mar 17, 2018
Yeah RDR2 looks better graphically and that was the only thing H:ZD had going for it.

PFFT lol hot take here. Like Horizon did not have some of the best combat in any open world game ever. I can say with full authority that bow combat, the main part of the game, against creatures on Ultra Hard is literally some of the best combat in any game I have ever played. I'm 34 and played mostly a bit of everything. These opinions are frivolous and ridiculous.

The sound design in HZD is stellar, The controls are great. The combat is great. And after patching they cleaned up animations and a host of other things. They also have the best UI in gaming as far as I am concerned. So yeah your idea here is objectively not even valid considering all the things listed can be objectively evaluated versus other games.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
HZD is wonderfully detailed and uses high resolution textures for many assets. RDR has pretty average texture work overall, but looks better than HZD in pretty much every other aspect.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the anisotropic filtering and textures in RDR2 are pretty bad.
0328c50912269d6bdfb75da0fb66540c.png

red-dead-redemption-2-5aeae3922a678.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
God of War surpassed HZD, Forza Horizon 4, as well. Games have come out since HZD that have had better graphics.

RDR looks great in previews, but we have no idea what the finished game looks like.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Even if i don't always like their games...R* sets the open world bar for me with each release made for that gen. Even moreso than ubi.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Overall, yes I would say so. Lighting + Consistency + Scope here looks incredible. To be honest, I find Spider-man more impressive than Horizon overall.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Based on today's trailer, RDR2 easily. But then I think Spider-Man, SotC Remake and FH4 are all more impressive than HZD, so..

That said, it'll be interesting to see what I think when it's actually on my OLED. Hopefully there won't be any nasty LoD pop-in or performance issues. HZD was nicely polished in that regard.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I prefer the machine creature designs in RDR2 more than those of HZD.

edit: oh shit, spoilers for RDR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.