• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Era Social Media?

• Yes

Votes: 359 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 214 37.3%

• Total voters

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Internet forums/messageboards have always been considered part of social media. What the hell are you doing here? Socializing with people on the internet.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but Facebook and Twitter are very different from a forum or a multiplayer video game.

Facebook is a combination of all other social media as a single social media suite, and Twitter is the equivalent to shouting random shit and hoping anybody hear. They require less engagement to participate.

I don't use Facebook or Twitter or the like, so I don't have a great way to really explain why I'm voting no, but Wendy's and BestBuy don't play multiplayer video games or post on Forums, but they both have a Facebook and Twitter.
Because Facebook and Twitter have an audience of hundreds of millions?

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Message boards have always counted as social media.

When twitter first started, it was essentially an un-nested, decentralized message board. The same way you'd engage people on here was how you did it on there, linked only by friends lists or mutual hashtags. If twitter is social media, if reddit is social media, message boards are social media.

Just because you don't use it in specific manners doesn't mean it's not social media. 97% of my facebook usage is no different than how I browse Era: Youtube links, news articles about science or political stuff people should be paying attention to, and entertainment media.

You don't need to be recognizable for social media to be social media, you just need to socialize. If you're discussing things, you're socializing.

I don't really care either way, but if the way you use one tool is so much different from the way you use another tool, what is the use of calling them the same thing?

I'm basically inactive on FB, totally inactive on Twitter, and use Instagram in a wildly different way than I use Era. This is where I do discussion and debating online, not try to maintain friendships with people I used to know, or let family across the country know I'm ok.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Definitely a type of social media. I can't imagine arguing about that unless you're trying to create some pedantic, illusory distinctions and/or because you don't want to associate something you enjoy with a perceived "stigma" of social media.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I see social media as Twitter, Facebook etc and forums are their own beast but technically yes, it's social media by definition.

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
The term Social Media for me is always connected with the idea of a personalized feed, usually one that is built from accounts you can follow. And just how you follow other accounts on Social Media, you also cultivate your own account(s) and have people follow you. This trait is imo precisely the "Social" in Social Media. The Twitter feed of two random users will likely be radically different from each other.

Era (or any other forum for that matter) doesn't have a personalized feed, everyone sees the same forums with the same threads. I don't follow accounts on here. I don't curate my own account.

Which is why I don't consider Era "Social Media". That doesn't mean you don't socialize / interact with people on here, heck, that's the point of a forum. But for me the term "Social Media" is more narrow in its definition.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
It's a question of whether forums and messageboards are social media which I definitely do not think they are. Feel much more foreign.

Oct 27, 2017
To me? No, because I come here to peruse and will occasionally post, but don't care to have a discussion with you guys really.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The word "forum" is literally just the same definition as "social media". The latter is just the modern day buzzword for it. All the people here who talk on their high horse about how they quit Twitter/FB/Instagram are no better off hanging around here.

Definition of forum

a : the marketplace or public place forming the center of judicial and public business

b : a public meeting place for open discussion

c : a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is, but it's also not what people are talking about when they say "social media".