• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
With Smash Ultimate on the horizon I can see other iterative Nintendo franchises like Mario Kart going the same route. Despite peoples disdain for GaaS I think it's going to have positive impact overall on Nintendo's first party. Investment in new IPs and sequels to less known franchises like Pikmin and Star Fox will make their offering less reliant on big hitters and instead offer more diversity and expirementation.

Anyone agrees?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The information we've gotten about Smash Ultimate to date doesn't really suggest

1) that Nintendo is pivoting toward GaaS (the two information dumps we've gotten on the game emphasize lots of content included at launch)
2) that iterative franchises are going away (Smash Ultimate is probably the poster child for iteration given its focus on bringing back old content and improving it)
3) that Nintendo is investing more in new IP and sequels to lesser-known franchises (there isn't a single one of these on their docket for the fall quarter, with Nintendo betting on safe franchises like Mario Party, Pokemon, and Smash)

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Least it seems like it'll have more content at launch than other recent Nintendo releases.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I see Ultimate Smash as less of a change in strat for Nintendo, and more of a confirmation that the creator is ready to move on and is putting absolutely everything he can into his last Smash game. Smash's are only once a generation, so this is pretty much it for the next 4-5 years.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
While I would love if Nintendo just supported this game throughout the generation with new DLC every few months, there's no indication (besides Smash 4's DLC history) that states that this game is a game as a service.

We said the same thing about Mario Kart 8 DLX, and despite some minor QOL changes and small additions, we haven't seen any new tracks or battle stages.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for Smash threads today but we're looking at covering the front page with them at this point!!

....keep making more! :P

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
does smash ultimate mean luigi and castlevania will get a crossover for holiday 2019.

the evidence is heaavy

Deleted member 15933

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash Ultimate is announced as feature complete and will visibly have more content than its predecessor + DLC. If anything, Mario Kart broke 8 new ground for Nintendo by having any DLC to begin with, and those were pretty straightforward expansion packs, not GaaS as is industry standard of today.

So maybe OP should clarify a bit of what exactly he means by change of strategy.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused. What about Smash Ultimate gives anyone the indication that it is a GaaS type game? If anything it will be the most content packed, feature complete Smash game at launch, ever. I'm sure it will have paid DLC as well but Smash 4 already had that.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if Smash Ultimate is GaaS then the same could be said for Smash 4 right? Doesn't look like a big strange in strategy. They're just stuffing this one to the brim.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't think Smash in particular is indicative of Nintendo's strategy as a whole, given that Sakurai literally just does whatever he wants.

Oct 27, 2017
1) that Nintendo is pivoting toward GaaS (the two information dumps we've gotten on the game emphasize lots of content included at launch)

Nintendo's said on multiple occasions that their console games need to start keeping players engaged for long periods even after launch. Nearly all of their first party games have ongoing content updates and events every month to keep people playing.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Although we've got no evidence, I do see smash ultimate as a kind of culmination for the stand alone entries of the franchise. The name, the concept (every fighter every stage), and the general approach make it feel like a kind of full stop.

GaaS is a logical next step.

I think this model could really work for smash and kart and splatoon. Assuming this happens next gen and not with switch we could get:

- base games included f2p with the console
- fuller games offered for a lower than usual price

- In each case characters/stages/challenges etc continually added for nominal fees keeping the game alive/feeling fresh/thriving ongoing

It was never a model I thought I would support, but rocket league and fortnite have made me a believer. Both games feel like the could be Nintendo games and work great as GaaS and I think long term that's better than buying an iteratively updated game every 12 months which I think if I were to do with smatooriokart I will ultimately get sick of

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Nintendo's said on multiple occasions that their console games need to start keeping players engaged for long periods even after launch. Nearly all of their first party games have ongoing content updates and events every month to keep people playing.
Yes, but that's not something that's signaled by Smash Ultimate specifically.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game has more content out of the gate than probably every other game released tis year put together, at this point, I think calling it a GaaS does it a disservice.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
With Smash Ultimate on the horizon I can see other iterative Nintendo franchises like Mario Kart going the same route. Despite peoples disdain for GaaS I think it's going to have positive impact overall on Nintendo's first party. Investment in new IPs and sequels to less known franchises like Pikmin and Star Fox will make their offering less reliant on big hitters and instead offer more diversity and expirementation.

Anyone agrees?

Their strategy didn't change with SSBU.
they decided long ago that they are going to use Amiibo as a replacement for microtransactions.
will this change in the future?
we will see.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
talking about Smash becoming a GaaS before they announce any kind of DLC is super forcing the narrative

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
About as much as Breath of the Wild affected Nintendo's strategy, in other words very little to none.

Smash Ultimate says more about Sakurai's dedication to the franchise than anything about Nintendo's business strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't know if I understand what this topic is about. What does this game indicate about gaas or new IPs? I can't connect the line between Smash Ultimate and the words the words that make up the OP.

OP
OP
A New Beginning
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't know if I understand what this topic is about. What does this game indicate about gaas or new IPs? I can't connect the line between Smash Ultimate and the words the words that make up the OP.
Ultimate is the confirmation that Nintendo is running out of ideas to innovate some of their iterative franchises. You can do it with Mario or Zelda but Smash or Mario Kart is a lot harder. This is why I can see them making them less often and instead focusing on new IPs and other franchises.
I think it makes a lot of sense because the new Smash is only being praised for the amount of content not fresh ideas.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate is the confirmation that Nintendo is running out of ideas to innovate some of their iterative franchises. You can do it with Mario or Zelda but Smash or Mario Kart is a lot harder. This is why I can see them making them less often and instead focusing on new IPs and other franchises.
I think it makes a lot of sense because the new Smash is only being praised for the amount of content not fresh ideas.
I'm confused. It's a fighter. What's a new idea for a fighter? What can you do with it?
Of course it's being praised for the content, they've gone above and beyond any other game on the market. This feels like a thinly veiled jab at the game more than anything.

Oct 25, 2017

Ok well then you're wrong all around. 1.) Those series have always been like that. They only come out once every generation. It's unlikely they'll make them less often when they don't make them that often in the first place. 2.) Ultimate is being praised for a lot of stuff, much of which includes the new things it's bringing to the table. This direct alone had a bunch of new info and people are eating it up. Notice how all that garbage "port" talked dried up as soon as this direct hit?

You said earlier you don't see them making Ultimate 2... well, duh. They've never done that. They didn't make Smash 64-2 or Melee 2 or Mario Kart Wii 2. They've never done that for any of these franchises, so why would things change now?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Anyone agrees?

Ultimate hasn't been confirmed as gaas. At all. Wtf are you talking about???

Status
Not open for further replies.