• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gunter

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
It's really really really really simple. AAA studios will get better visuals when targeting 30fps. This is a fact no matter how powerful the hardware is.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even a 2080ti can't do ray tracing at 4k at reasonable framerates, you really think AMD's last minute implementation thrown in will be able to? For console pricing? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I'd be amazed if it could handle even 1rpp at 4k/30.
Its just a tool for developers to use. I don't expect it to be fully utilised like on the PC.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Its just a tool for developers to use. I don't expect it to be fully utilised like on the PC.

Your statement was "Show me a £300 GPU that can play 4K games with Ray Tracing..."

If you're backing down on that now and not saying the ray tracing will be 4k quality then I'd say the RTX 2060 Super is already going for well under £400 on amazon.co.uk and the refresh next year should have something of comparable performance for under 300. This has ray tracing and is significantly faster than a 5700 even without counting next year's models.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the same sentiment when the XB1 and PS4 were released.

It's never gonna happen. The temptation to put shiny things ahead of framerate is too much.
A lot has changed since then. Back then 30FPS multiplayer was acceptable. Today it isn't. Back then single player story driven games didn't have 30/60FPS modes. Today many of them do. You have to be blind not to see that gaming industry is strongly heading towards higher frame rates and next gen consoles without CPU bottleneck will finally be that missing piece to make it happen.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the pro and x have sort of standardized giving the choice of an iq vs a performance setting I do think we will see a lot of devs continue that trend. So basically a 4k/30 target option and a 1080p/60 target option.

also given how good the scalers are in a lot of sets you really don't lose much going with the 1080option.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
You will be able to buy a GPU that is 2x more powerful than the PS5 or Scarlett day one.

There are GPUs which cost double the price of a console whilst the console is an entire PC.

If 60 fps is important to you, buy a PC with a lot of money.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, yes I remember those days when I was full of unrealistic expectations when it was time for a new console generation.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
In a perfect world, yes I'd want that to be a mandate for certification. But I know that isn't fair. I'm just asking for devs to consider a (locked) 60 fps option.
It isn't a matter of it being an option as if it's something they hadn't considered. It's a matter of developers having the resources available (whether it be time, money, or manpower) to implement that. Why would that change now?

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be the same same same same old shit

30fps

60fps later in remastered

120fps if everyone do it, and yeah, remasteredededed.

*puke*

Bless some developers here that target 60 as standard, even it's unlocked.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
This has been a curious discussion, and some people have talked about the dilemma of having interest with newer consoles when they already have gaming PCs. I figure that along with resources available for developers, consumer interests and the continued existence of PCs, it likely won't be come the standard.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not sure why they don't prioritise 60fps. DMC 5 was 60fps and looked fantastic — but I know that's a linear game. My point is graphics are good enough where performance won't necessarily impact the game's looks to such an extent that people will discern the difference if the game had been 30fps.

Kappakerby

Nov 5, 2017
It's not mandatory because most people don't care. Just like most people don't care about motion interpolation on TVs.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Depends on the game...

30FPS = double the processing power available compared to 60FPS.

So, unless it's DMC6, a Fighting game, or an FPS,
I'd rather see how the additional CPU power can be used.

(I'm probably in the minority though, since I almost always go for resolution over framerate in PS4 Pro games.)

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even a 2080ti can't do ray tracing at 4k at reasonable framerates, you really think AMD's last minute implementation thrown in will be able to? For console pricing? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I'd be amazed if it could handle even 1rpp at 4k/30.
Yeah. It's hard reading some posts with "60 fps or I'm out". People are clueless.

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Being someone I never notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps, I don't care?.

Developers will always prioritize graphics, since it's better to sell something that looks pretty, than something that some (many? few?) people don't notice.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
30fps is perfectly fine for a wide variety of games, though some devs have been finding even that tough to achieve.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Assuming most games aren't cpu bottlenecked when they're running at 30fps, I don't see why developers won't include graphics presets that'll let people choose 60 for lower IQ. All their trailers and marketing will still be the high IQ version so they won't lose anything.

Exception being games that make gameplay use out of real-time RT, e.g. for puzzles. But AAA devs are so bad at making puzzles I doubt they're gonna touch that.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I would love a 60fps standard, I really don't see it happening.

30fps is "good enough" for the far majority of people and genres (outside of a few exceptions like fighting games and character action games). As a result it will continue to be the standard. Simple as that.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
I'm sorry but yes, 30fps is fine and dosen't bother me in the slightest, especially in single player narrative-driven games. I won't be particularly mad if it continues to be the norm on next gen consoles (and I think it will).

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really really really really simple. AAA studios will get better visuals when targeting 30fps. This is a fact no matter how powerful the hardware is.

Exactly. That's why the year's biggest game (also one of the better looking ones) COD:MW targets 60fps on all platforms

wait..

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I'm firmly in camp ''let devs choose what they think is best''
And tbh if I expect 60fps in every console game, I wouldn't play on console (applies to next gen).

I definitely appreciate 60fps more but I have no problem playing at solid 30.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice strawman. Multiplayer focused fast paced games will, most of the time, focus on 60fps.

Nice goalpost moving. So COD is not AAA? It doesn't have a SP campaign that's also 60fps?

Lots of non FPS games already have options to choose "performance" aka 60fps over "visuals" aka pointless native 4k. I expect many developers next gen to continue that.

Deleted member 4072

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol the developers vision are acceptable and you have no right in dictate what they should prioritize or what is acceptable. 30fps is fine and this obsession with high frame rates is not healthy.
What the fuck even is this post lmfao. Devs "vision" isn't a fucking thing. It's hardware dictated. Are you saying I'm going against Bungie's "vision" by playing Destiny in 120fps? 30fps is not acceptable on Zen 2 processors. If they don't have performance modes then good luck getting a dime from me.

You are complaining about not wanting to waste time in settings menus? Don't fucking do it then. Play the game out of the box. It doesn't waste any time at all adding performance modes. Jesus christ people are clueless and then spread this bullshit around.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
What the fuck even is this post lmfao. Devs "vision" isn't a fucking thing. It's hardware dictated. Are you saying I'm going against Bungie's "vision" by playing Destiny in 120fps? 30fps is not acceptable on Zen 2 processors. If they don't have performance modes then good luck getting a dime from me.

You are complaining about not wanting to waste time in settings menus? Don't fucking do it then. Play the game out of the box. It doesn't waste any time at all adding performance modes. Jesus christ people are clueless and then spread this bullshit around.
Sorry, that's not how this works. Devs will focus on what they think it's better for their games, whether is fps or graphics. You can keep crying all you want, but they'll target 30fps when needed and you can play on PC if it's so important to you. Consoles are clearly not for you if you can't deal with the developers setting for that platform. Also, please, lower your tone, you can't talk to me like this.

Last edited:

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Currentgen is too weak to deliver stable 60fps in most games even when graphics are turned down so performance modes are more hit than miss but I expect being able to choose and actually get 60 to become the norm eventually. It's fine if 30fps are fine for you, I'm not judging, but they aren't for me.

Sorry, that's not how this works. Devs will focus on what they think it's better for their games, whether is fps or graphics. You can keep crying all you want, but they'll target 30fps when needed and you can play on PC if it's so important to you. Consoles are clearly not for you if you can't deal with the developers setting for that platform. Also, please, lower your tone, you can't talk to me like this.

You set the tone by calling being focused on framerate an obsession and not healthy and generally acting like an ass trying to shut people down for wanting options that won't affect you. Which is exactly how it should work from now on with more and more games offering them. The whole talk about devs knowing what's best for everyone has always been bullshit, people need to stop being scared of choice, that's not healthy. And while PC is getting almost everything I'm interested in there are still some games for which consoles are the only option, would be cool to not having to deal with shitty 30fps.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm firmly in camp ''let devs choose what they think is best''
And tbh if I expect 60fps in every console game, I wouldn't play on console (applies to next gen).

I definitely appreciate 60fps more but I have no problem playing at solid 30.

Yeah, 60FPS is better but solid 30 is fine. If devs decided to go solid 30 for better effects why not. I don't see this as "mandatory", it sounds like old PS games where every games has to be 3D.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Currentgen is too weak to deliver stable 60fps in most games even when graphics are turned down so performance modes are more hit than miss but I expect being able to choose and actually get 60 to become the norm eventually. It's fine if 30fps are fine for you, I'm not judging, but they aren't for me.

You set the tone by calling being focused on framerate an obsession and not healthy and generally acting like an ass trying to shut people down for wanting options that won't affect you. Which is exactly how it should work from now on with more and more games offering them. The whole talk about devs knowing what's best for everyone has always been bullshit, people need to stop being scared of choice, that's not healthy. And while PC is getting almost everything I'm interested in there are still some games for which consoles are the only option, would be cool to not having to deal with shitty 30fps.
I said what is better for the game, not for everyone. Please do not put words on my mouth.