• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
This begs the question if devs offering a fidelity vs performance mode will be a thing for the majority of games to appease casuals and hardcore or not.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
60 isn't even "mandatory" on high-end PCs anymore based on some of the most demanding titles, depending on your settings/resolution. If a game runs below 60, I can still enjoy it just as much as if it were at 144.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
1. I can't tell the difference between a solid 30 and a solid 60. Inconsistent frame rates and stuttering do bother me, sure.

2. The vast majority of consumers don't give the slightest shit about frame rate or even know what the term means.
If the next COD was 30fps I guarantee a TON of causal players would immediately notice.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Yes and we are called reasonable realist people. 30fps will always exist because it is fine to play in 30 fps.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
60 should be mandatory for games period. 30 sucks.

But, it will not be the standard next gen, because at the expense of the framerate, devs can push for higher quality assets, more stuff on screen, etc. And that will always have priority, especially in single player games over whether or not the game plays smoothly. Simply put games could have been 60 frames for ever. They would have pushed less on the scale n other stuff.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yes OP, many people feel locked 30fps is completely fine, as gets stated in every thread that asks this question. Set up a poll if you want to actually see the distribution.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
Some games play perfectly fine at 30fps. I don't know if it's the attention given to animations, high quality per object motion blur, or the the way they capture the input but some games can feel pretty smooth and play great at 30fps. Uncharted 4 comes to mind. If 30fps makes the game look substantially prettier, and the gameplay still feels smooth, then I really don't mind. And this comes from a mainly PC gamer.

I believe it was one of the old need for speed games (like hot pursuit 2 or something) where the developers mentioned they actually captured the input at higher refresh rates than your typical 30fps game and that's why it felt so smooth and they were right, it was a fantastic, great to play, 30fps racer. Go figure.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a deal breaker for certain types of games but I will gravitate to 60fps games because they do play far better. Could I stomach a 30fps FPS sure, would I buy them in future, I'm really leaning to no. An RPG, 3rd Person game, yeah I guess. I mean really if the game is friggin awesome I'll play at 30fps but totally wish for 60fps.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
It's not a matter of being acceptable or not, Zen 2 processors can easily handle next-gen games at 4K and 60fps, the thing is that the majority of devs will always choose to push the consoles to their limits by going for maximum graphical fidelity and complex AI/simulations instead of a more balanced profile with higher framerates.

Why do we keep acting like every game is CPU limited?

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
This will never happen, I don't know why we go through this every time. Let the developers choose and if you want the best of both worlds go play on PC

astro

Oct 25, 2017
30fps makes games look many, many times worse in motion. Massive hit to responsivity AND visuals.

However... without taking that hit, we'd never get games like RDR2 on console, so it's never going to change.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
60fps will never be standard on consoles since devs will always try to push the envelope with great visuals over high framerate. It's a big reason for why I transitioned to PC a while ago.

Oct 27, 2017
More power doesn't make it easier to reach 60FPS. I don't know why so many people fail to grasp this amazingly simple concept. Graphically standards increase and this extra power goes to other resources.

We could have had 1080P and 60FPS on the PS3 if developers are willing to make the necessary cutbacks.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
As usual, Fighting Games is the only genre where 60FPS will be guaranteed. Good luck for the rest !

Last edited:

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I have a PC that can pretty much play anything at 4k 60+, I still don't care about framerate as long as it's consistent.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Low FPS is one of my biggest pet peeves and I'm fucking sick of it. I'm thinking about just going PC next gen. 30 looks like shit to me anymore. I understand why its a thing, I just can't get over how smooth and nice 60+ looks and feels.

Oct 30, 2017
I prefer 60 fps, but I guess ill choose graphics over fps. I played around with this with GoW and I couldn't stand playing it with increased fps over graphics. So i played it at its best graphically. Seeing how 30 fps has been a standard for so long, I think its safe to say developers will always prioritize graphics as long as they can keep it at 30 fps, and only increase fps if there is room for it. Whether or not tech allows for both next gen is something we will need to wait and see.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
On every thread I check about performance and framerates I still see people saying that "30 fps is fine" "I can't even see the difference from 30 to 60" etc.

Next gen is coming in 1 year and I really hope games will ran at 60 fps. I don't care about native 4k or RTX stuff.

All I need are 60 fps games on any resolution.. use any techniques that you need to reach even a "fake" 4k o whatever you want to do with it.. but please just secure those sweet 60 fps.
Oh sweet summer child. Prepare yourself for sub60 as well as "fake"4K everywhere.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are here arguing between 30/60 fps, and I'm just here waiting for consoles to support unlocked 60+ fps modes

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Until we reach absolute peak graphics(as if this even exists?), it will never, ever happen. "PS5 is the same graphics as PS4, at 60 FPS!" That is the tradeoff you are asking developers to make. You will be the one rebuying remasters every gen it seems.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a tricky one, because sometimes you can't optimize enough with the time/budget/staff you have to get to that framerate. I feel like there's this weird assumption that we're past a metaphorical line where every game would be capable to do 60 fps if developers wished to do so. But that's not how it works. Remember when Naughty Dog tried to make Uncharted 4 60 fps (even the first in-engine trailer was), but was just not possible?

Being mandatory would just restrict developers even more than they already are.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's not mandatory and it won't be because ultimately the wider market doesn't actually care enough for it to be "mandatory".

Different studios and projects will continue to prioritise different framerates and levels of fidelity. There will continue to be games that even drop below 30 and there will continue to be people who even manage to enjoy games in spite of that legitimate flaw.

If you're the sort of person who rages enough about framerate that you consider it "mandatory" you just simply should not be buying consoles. They are ultimately budget hardware.

Low FPS is one of my biggest pet peeves and I'm fucking sick of it. I'm thinking about just going PC next gen. 30 looks like shit to me anymore. I understand why its a thing, I just can't get over how smooth and nice 60+ looks and feels.

You straight up should be investing in a good PC that you can regularly upgrade if this is what you care about and are "fucking sick of it". Do it, you'll have a better experience. Don't want to miss exclusives? Buy a console later on when it has dropped in price.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe we'll see a lot of games with the choice of resolution and visuals or frame rate. 60 won't be standard, but it will be far more common.

Y'all are here arguing between 30/60 fps, and I'm just here waiting for consoles to support unlocked 60+ fps modes
I see this happening next gen. The One X already supports Freesync, so this seems like a logical next step.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
No platform holder is going to even consider setting minimum framerates. Not only would it piss off developers, it would be basically unenforceable.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Please have 60fps vs 4k toggle in your game... Im not going to buy into 4k with gpu when i can run games at 1080 or 1440 at 60fps. Trading off is fine.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand why devs can't just add a performance mode in their games. Lot's of games do it and it's great. Give the people who want unstable frames and 4k their stuff and let people who want 60fps but isn't 4k their thing.

I love when i can change FOV and to performance mode on consoles.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
This site gets really defensive when you say 60 should be mandatory. I'd watch out. You might just get told to play on PC snidely by people. 60+ is better in ever aspect for every genre there is no debate. 30fps with Zen 2 processors is not acceptable.
Lol the developers vision are acceptable and you have no right in dictate what they should prioritize or what is acceptable. 30fps is fine and this obsession with high frame rates is not healthy.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
If anything, the increased prevalence of 4k and new ray tracing stuff probably means we'll see MORE 30fps (or worse) games

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I don't understand why devs can't just add a performance mode in their games. Lot's of games do it and it's great. Give the people who want unstable frames and 4k their stuff and let people who want 60fps but isn't 4k their thing.

I love when i can change FOV and to performance mode on consoles.
Because it's a waste of development and optimization time that will cater to that 1% that cares, meaning it's not worth the effort. Most console gamers just want to play the game and don't want to waste time with settings.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
Does some people still believe that 60fps is mandatory for next gen consoles is the only real question here.

Sorry OP, stable 30fps is perfectly fine for me.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
30fps is okay for card games.

Actually, I take that back.

Once you get used to much higher fps, it's really hard to stomach even 60fps. You really do see the slideshow, which your eyes have been tricking you into thinking was really smooth. The faster the pace of the game (especially with big horizontal movements) the more obvious it is.