• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
On every thread I check about performance and framerates I still see people saying that "30 fps is fine" "I can't even see the difference from 30 to 60" etc.

Next gen is coming in 1 year and I really hope games will ran at 60 fps. I don't care about native 4k or RTX stuff.

All I need are 60 fps games on any resolution.. use any techniques that you need to reach even a "fake" 4k o whatever you want to do with it.. but please just secure those sweet 60 fps.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Great looking graphics are easier to market to the masses than 60 fps. That alone will mean we will still see a lot of 30 fps games.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yes, I can confirm I'm one of those people and FPS has never bothered me unless the game is visibly running like a slide show.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I wish every game would hit 60. I don't necessarily notice it in every game but I bet we'll be hitting 30 and under until the heat death of the universe. Some games just have other priorities.

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
As long as developers prioritize graphics over framerate, 60 FPS will not be standard and definitely won't be mandatory

I know that's what they do.. but with all the new horse power on the next gen consoles.. are we really gonna get 4k native games running at sub par 30 fps or even with bad frame pacing?

If that's the reality then next gen is not looking so good.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to break it to ya, but 30 fps will still be a standard next gen. We'll get more 60 fps games but it won't be a standard.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I mean I'd appreciate a locked fucking 30 at this point but most devs can't even muster that shit all in the name of graphics.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Nailed it. I still think 30 fps will generally be the standard next gen.
like, i get it. the fact next gen will finally have actually good CPU's brings wishful thinking, but as others have put here and in other threads, graphics are far more marketable than framerate.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The causal market don't care about frame rate and more easily impressed by graphics.

60FPS won't be the standard for next gen.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that's what they do.. but with all the new horse power on the next gen consoles.. are we really gonna get 4k native games running at sub par 30 fps or even with bad frame pacing?

The answer to this was, is, and always will be to play on PC if it's that important to you.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
BotW runs at 28 fps and is the best game ever created.

Doom runs at 144 fps and is the best game ever created.

It depends on the type of game. I hate playing Destiny on PS4 but enjoy it on my PC.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
As long as framerate is not as markeatable as graphics, it'll never be the priority for consoles.

If someone is thinking next gen is going to be 60fps minimum across the board, they will be sorely disappointed.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
It will never be enforced. Groaphics need to be as slick in screenshots and doctored trailers, and they have the "it's cinematic" get out of jail card. That doesn't make it not look like manure when playing.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
30fps or 60fps isn't really an issue of how much power is available, so that this discussion comes around each time new consoles come about doesn't really make sense.

We could have had a 60fps standard this generation, and last generation and the generation before that. The reasons for not doing it aren't a matter of whether or not the consoles can do 60fps games or not.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
until we have essentially infinite processing power there will always be games that don't run at 60fps because that is how physics works

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
I'd always prefer 60, but I don't see it happening across the board. Most people don't mind 30 and developers are still going to go for the increased visuals.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Sometimes I actually prefer 30 fps, so glad it'll stick around. Anything with cinematic ambitions always looks weird to me at 60.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
People will continue to do what helps them secure the largest market, for some that will be targeting 60fps for others that will be targeting 30fps and for others that will be targeting the prettiest screenshots they can put out.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I just hope they give us a performance mode, people can enjoy their 4k/30, but id enjoy playing in an upscaled 4k/60

Oct 25, 2017

How many generational transitions have you experienced? "All the new horsepower" is a talking point every time and every time the majority of games continue to run at the minimal acceptable framerate of 30fps.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
It's a box with fixed specs, they'll always target 30 to get more out of the hw, it's not that hard to get.

Get a PC if you want 60+.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
In the whole scheme of things there are too many great games, game of the year material, running at 30fps for it to matter.

So no, 60fps should never be mandatory.

Jan 11, 2018
Some devs prefer the best visual fidelity possible over the best performance. I don't see that changing with next gen sadly.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
....Have we just hit a point where we stop saying "Frames Per Second"? I had to stare that the topic title for a minute to understand what OP was trying to say.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's more that if you think there is every going to be any sort of "mandatory" frame rate, any gen, you are being incredibly naive

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
60 won't be standard on consoles as per usual.

If you want unconditional* 60fps (or higher), get a PC.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
This gen consoles we got laughable processors yet so much more 60fps games. Guarantee next gen much much more 60fps games with a real CPU

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'd be willing to bet that the most common stance on this forum by far would be one that does not consider 60fps to be mandatory while also noticing and enjoying 60fps when present, so i don't buy the thread's premise at all

if you like platform-enforced minimum framerates, though, get into VR homie

Oct 25, 2017
I do think that after this generation's mid-cycle refresh there is reason to be optimistic that more games will come with both resolution and performance modes. There are still plenty of 1080p displays out there

senj

Nov 6, 2017

Yes. It's that simple.

It doesn't really matter "how much horsepower" the new consoles have. However much it is, developers always face the same choice: " Do we use this power to pursue X quality visuals targeting 60 fps, or do we spend twice as much 'power' on each frame to get higher Y quality visuals, and deliver a ~30 fps experience?"

Some games are always going to make the latter choice. It doesn't matter how powerful hardware gets, that fundamental trade off never goes away, nor do the artistic and marketing pressures that drive some developers to choose the better graphics/lower framerate route.