• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Mandatory will not happen and should not be required for standard tv.

I really hope for higher fps and even more reprojection/interpolation methods. (When done in engine the quality can/should be quite decent.)
BotW runs at 28 fps and is the best game ever created.

Doom runs at 144 fps and is the best game ever created.

It depends on the type of game. I hate playing Destiny on PS4 but enjoy it on my PC.
If you mean original Doom, it's capped to 35fps.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018
I mean it's why I play PC. I can't play games that are under 60fps, and even at 60fps it's not the best. If a game drops below 100 I'm usually annoyed.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I mean there are genres where 60 is literally not needed. So I dont think it needs to be mandatory.

I do think however that MS, Sony and Nintendo should enforce stricter rules on performance regardless which FPS a game runs on. Especially towards the end of a generation if they keep doing a "Pro" model it sometimes is pretty bad.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
only noticeable if you play 2 games of the same genre one after another. First time I really noticed the difference, to the point that I felt like gameplay lost quality due to the difference, was playing Driveclub after playing GT Sport. That looked awful, some sort of slow mo but in real time lol. I finished and loved every second of Drivelcub a year earlier though. Making it 60fps would mean worst graphics and effects so no, I am fine with it being 30.

Which is why I love my choice of investing in a gaming PC. Best of both worlds. Still, I'd probably prefer higher framerate over graphical fidelity if I was still on console. Hell, I do on PC. Settings get dropped until I can at least hit 60. Those frames are just too invaluable to me.

Oct 28, 2017
Dreamcast and PS2 had lots of games run at 60fps.

Was beautiful. Not many games nowadays do sadly.

I think japan tries to more than western made games these days. Dmc5, Resident evil 2, yakuza, etc.

Western games tend to prefer the cinematic 30.

OP
OP
Cloud-Strife

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
1. I can't tell the difference between a solid 30 and a solid 60. Inconsistent frame rates and stuttering do bother me, sure.

2. The vast majority of consumers don't give the slightest shit about frame rate or even know what the term means.

Check this video at 5:49 and use the 60 fps 1080 resolution from youtube ( the video is linked on that exact spot anyways ).. I can't believe you if you say that you don't notice a difference between pc and console.

The game looks 100% more smooth and fluid on PC because of the 60 fps.. the console version is locked 30 with good framepacing and even with that the PC version is far superior on the smooth camera movement and fluid animations.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
While preferable 60 is never mandatory so it still won't be the baseline. I often games on console at 30 FPS and play on PC at 144hz, switching back and forth multiple time per day, it's easily noticeable but I'm glad it's not an issue for me.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I would personally prefer the push was for 60fps over all the 4k crap but it doesnt do as well marketing wise so what can you do.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely depends on the game. It would be nice if it was mandatory, but it's not like every single game needs it.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I think everyone in theory believes 60 should be mandatory in any generation. But that's in a fake world of sunshine and happiness where communism works.

In the real world publishers and developers have different priorities, and sometimes sacrifices are made and IQ and resolution come first over frame rate because those sell.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think japan tries to more than western made games these days. Dmc5, Resident evil 2, yakuza, etc.

Western games tend to prefer the cinematic 30.

yakuza 0 and kiwami are only 60fps on ps4 because they are originally ps3 games. all their ps4 original games (yakuza 6, yakuza kiwami 2, judgement) are 30fps.

there's plenty of other japanese games targeting 30, too (persona 5, ffxv, death stranding, bloodborne, dark souls 3, mh: world, we could go on)

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
This happens every gen. Devs will use the power available to them.

Unless the majority of customers insists on wanting 60 FPS, it won't be standart.

The platform holders will never enforce particular performance standarts.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Ahh, the classic "it's got more power so it'll be 60fps guaranteed right?" argument.

The power will be used for visuals and 30 fps.

This won't change. It's been true for a long ass time. Being pretty sells, not being fluid.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Not all games need mandatory 60fps.

It would be better to run them at 60fps? Yes. But I have to admit that I prefer visuals like Death Stranding, Horizon ZD, Uncharted 4 or GOW at 30 than the downgrade they would need to run at 60.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I think we're still in a place where the general public don't realise (or care about) the benefits and that effects the marketability of it. 2k and 4k are much more marketable targets, so I think FPS will continue to be an afterthought outside of, maybe, VR.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I sure hope there will be 30fps 4k mode and 60fps 1080 mode in every game if they aren't aiming for 60fps in default mode.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Not every game needs 60, that will always be the case. Stability should be prioritized, then framerate. If your 30 fps game drops frames, that's a problem then.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel

Check this video at 5:49 and use the 60 fps 1080 resolution from youtube ( the video is linked on that exact spot anyways ).. I can't believe you if you say that you don't notice a difference between pc and console.

The game looks 100% more smooth and fluid on PC because of the 60 fps.. the console version is locked 30 with good framepacing and even with that the PC version is far superior on the smooth camera movement and fluid animations.

Putting them side by side isn't a fair comparison. When people say that they don't notice the difference they mean that they aren't bothered by it as long as the framerate is stable, not that they are incapable of telling the difference.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you care about it buy a PC. I don't give a shit about 60fps which is why I switched from PC gaming to console gaming so I didn't have to buy a £600-1200 GPU.

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I couldn't care less about 60 fps on consoles. I like the best possible graphics on consoles. Imo 60 fps is a luxury for PC gaming.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Your best bet will be a continuation of the graphics/performance choice you get on ps4pro and x1x. Letting you play with lower settings and unlocked frame rate as an option. Then hopefully VRR becomes more widespread which will help smooth out drops below 60

boi

Nov 1, 2017
60fps is overrated. Its better yes, but I would have enjoyed God of War just as much on 30fps. Same with resolution. 1080p or 4K whatever. As long as the game looks good I dont care.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
If you care about it buy a PC. I don't give a shit about 60fps which is why I switched from PC gaming to console gaming so I didn't have to buy a £600-1200 GPU.

That doesn't make a lot of sense when even a £300 GPU is going to be far better than consoles. If you were buying £600-1200 ones then you clearly did care at some point.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know for sure it won't be mandatory. There is no way either console manufacturers will hamstring themselves on forcing developers a certain way. Also 30 fps is fine for some genres. A steady 30 at least should be mandatory though in my opinion. It almost feels like buying a new car that is almost falling apart just to drive normally. It's unacceptable to me. Performance to at least locked 30 fps should always be more of a priority than graphical fidelity.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't understand devs prioritising 4K over 60fps. The difference in look and feel between 1080p and 4K is negligible compared to the difference between 30fps and 60fps, which is like night and day.

Unfortunately I don't really see anything changing next gen.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Excluding remasters or multiplayer modes, you could give the most advanced tech to Naughty Dog or Guerrilla Games, and high chance they would still prefer pushing pixels rather than framerate on console.

It's a little bit unfortunate, in my opinion...

Unless they would also give options to choose either 30 or 60 for their future games, but would they even do it?

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe 60fps when the generation starts, but once the developers want to start milking the consoles to get those graphics nice and pretty...to sell games (graphics sells games), with a stable 30? Yea, I think that's always gonna be a thing with console gaming.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime we have a thread related to resolution and framerate for next-gen consoles, it makes me wish there was a "remind me in x days" functionality on era. So many people claiming things with certainty. Regardless of what actually ends up being the case it would be hilarious to read through this thread in a year or two

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
At this point it's simply the biggest threat to console gaming when compared to PC, it's one thing if your game doesn't look as good, but if the performance isn't up to bar, a lot of players will bounce. They must see the exudes with long life games with better performance on PC, things like Destiny, Monster Hunter, etc...

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stable 60 won't be a standard next gen lol
Also lol at "not all games need 60 FPS", actually most do.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
The sooner we have the choice to leave console gaming behind the better. Microsoft made the first step. Your move, Sony.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There will be always developers who prefer outstanding visuals to frame rate and with 4K resolution in next generation as a standard resolution, we'll have lots of 30fps games. I think we'll have lots of 30fps game, even in the generation after that.
I hope more developers give us some options to play 30fps/60fps or 1080p/4K in next generation, at least in single player games.

Rapon Tran

Nov 8, 2017
I think somewhat optional like:
+ Full Native 4K 30FPS.
+ Checkerboard rendering/ temporial injection/ 1800p 60FPS.
And...
+ Checkerboard 8K 30FPS.

Maybe some first and third party will achieve some Full Native 4K 60FPS. Some old gen games will get patched and run at 4K Native 60fps, maybe some will get 4K native ray-traced 30fps. And I think the 1st game will get patched and run at Native 4K 60fps with somekind of ray-traced reflection or shadow is GT Sport.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I believe its gonna be 30fps for single player, 60fps for multiplayer. Im so happy FPS games run on 60fps on console.

Even with crappy jaguar and 1.8TF 6 years after console release will have battlefield 5,modern warfare, apex etc run on 60fps.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
That's be for next next gen. I don't think we're leaving 4k any time soon so they may focus on frame rate then.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Most games will still target 30 with fluctuating framerate.

As long as people ask for "photorealistic" games and devs are happy to oblige, you'll get 30fps games on consoles (bear in mind the only reason you can get 60+ on PC is because you can brute force it using absurdly powerful CPU/GPUs).

Same with loading times. As long as people keep asking for bigger worlds with advanced graphics, no matter how much you stream, at some point there's only so much you can "optimize".

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I did not read any comments, but a lot of people will be saying to switch to PC.

And they're absolutely right.