• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Or it's just that people are used to subpar product but no that cannot be, consoles are always right yada yada

Consoles are always going to cater to a larger, more casual audience. Most people would rather plug and play a PS4 game at 30fps 1080p than the tinkering that comes with a lot of PC gaming if you don't have (or hell, even if you do have in some cases) a top of the end rig.

For example, I got Max Payne on Steam over the summer, and to play it I had to:
Download a patch to get it to work on Windows 10
Download a patch to fix the image, as it was stretched.
Download a patch to get the audio to work.

It was absolutely worth doing that, but for a lot of people, it'd be easier to just get the PS2 Classic on the PS4 and save all the hassle.

They should keep with the graphic vs performance modes console games have had in recent years, but that's about a far as they really need to go with those options on console.

Oct 30, 2017
I have a hard time seeing the most demanding open world games doing 60 FPS next gen.

Examples such as GTA, Elder Scrolls, etc.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this kind of thing should be mandated. But maybe developers could do a "Performance-Quality" setting like they do for some PS4 Pro games.
The importance of a higher framerate versus improved visuals in other areas depends on what kind of game it is. If they have to prioritize, I trust developers to know what's best for their games.

My priorities would be 60fps for racing games, or any game with fast motion and/or that strives to be competitive, reactiony or arcadey.
For something like Control I'd probably go with more graphics over faster.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
60 will never be mandatory on a console platform because frankly, TV isn't required to be 60 and TV and movies arent required to be. I echo the sentiment, get a PC.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
60 shouldn't be mandatory. I know nothing about game development but I bet the question ain't isn't so easy. It depends on the game and what the team chooses to prioritize or focus on. For me, just make it stable and I'm fine.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Console makers wont even enforce a 30fps minimum, not sure why they would enforce a 60fps minimum all of a sudden. I certainly wouldnt complain if they did though, but yeah wont happen

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It's just not going to be mandatory. Developers will always have to choose between frame-rate and resolution/graphics. That's the way it's always been and it's the way it's going to be for any generation going forward.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely believe that, yeah. Not all games need to run at 60FPS. First-person shooters, fighting games, fast-paced action games, etc. should certainly run at 60 but adventure games? Puzzle games? RPGs? They really don't need to. At least in my opinion.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Every new generation people have this discussion and I don't understand why. Yes, developers will often still target 30 fps. There's nothing wrong with that either.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Or it's just that people are used to subpar product but no that cannot be, consoles are always right yada yada
Nah, not at all. 60 fps is not necessary at all. You won't be able to make people choice frame rate over pretty graphics. You'll never see casuals on Twitter or on the streets talking about fps. But they will talk about how good the game looks and how cool it is. This sells, and most people will choose graphics over performance as proved time and again.
People want games to be pretty and fun and 30fps is enough for that and there's nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Run this vid in 60 FPS and report back:

I can report back that I don't see the difference in most of these games. Assassin's Creed, Limbo, PUBG, GTA V, the one generic fps in the snowy town

Literally couldn't see the difference with them side by side

And yet the video shows the game in the same setting, it's the same footage. If all things considerates are the same, yeah, run it at 60fps

In the other cases the 30fps runs very nicely and would rather have a cool god-ray between some threes in the Generic FPS in the Forest

I don't have I PS4 Pro or a XBone X but every time I see people saying that the game has a Quality Mode and a Performance Mode, I would choose Quality

I do that on PC that I prefere to run games at 30fps but in a higher setting because cool particle effects are better and more noticeable to me than more smooth game

PS: God damn PUBG looks so bad with no art direction at all

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the last few years demand for high framerate gaming (especially in multiplayer) has been rapidly growing and my prediction is that next gen majority of console games will be 60FPS and above (even single player story drives ones). People here who keep talking about 30FPS don't understand that the biggest reason we still haven't left 30FPS zone is because of severe CPU bottleneck in current consoles.

I'm often conservative with unrealeased console power expectations, but I'm certain of one thing that 30FPS dies with this console generation and this is one thing that naysayers will be wrong about. I just don't see how 30FPS gaming fits into Sony's near instant loading times, MS's 60-120FPS promises and such.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The truth is, 60 fps is sufficient for most games that don't require twitch reflexes. It will never be a standard on consoles as it means sacrificing visuals. I don't need 60 FPS in Death Stranding but I do need it in Wipeout.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
Again like last gen the minimum would be a stable 30fps and that's why i'm beginning to stop buys some games that have performance problems (control, days gone) just to save them for next gen.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The new hardware should make it easier toi hit those targets but will they? I can notice and I prefer it but graphics sell. It's a shame that we kind of went away from it because before the PS2 days higher frame rate games were more popular. Even Nintendo with it's inferior hardware has quite a few 60fps games.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can report back that I don't see the difference in most of these games. Assassin's Creed, Limbo, PUBG, GTA V, the one generic fps in the snowy town

Literally couldn't see the difference with them side by side

And yet the video shows the game in the same setting, it's the same footage. If all things considerates are the same, yeah, run it at 60fps

In the other cases the 30fps runs very nicely and would rather have a cool god-ray between some threes in the Generic FPS in the Forest

I don't have I PS4 Pro or a XBone X but every time I see people saying that the game has a Quality Mode and a Performance Mode, I would choose Quality

I do that on PC that I prefere to run games at 30fps but in a higher setting because cool particle effects are better and more noticeable to me than more smooth game

PS: God damn PUBG looks so bad with no art direction at all
Did you run the vid at 60 FPS?

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Did you run the vid at 60 FPS?
Yes, of course, that's the point

I noticed the difference in the racing game, some of the first person shooter ones, Overwatch

And considering that it's the same footage, with the same specs and setting, yeah, the 60fps looks smoother. There are more frames in a second.

The 30fps ones look perfectly playable. It's not that important to me. I rather have a new lighting effect than the smoothness

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I care about fps way more than fidelity, but my unqualified guess is that RTX will hold back fps next gen.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I would prefer 60fps but 30fps is fine for some genres if it's solid. I'd rather have a locked 30fps than 60fps with dips.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You really think either console is going to do 4k with raytracing? Either way you don't know the price or performance of them and to compare a 2020 console to 2018 GPUs isn't exactly a fair comparison. You can look historically though and see that you don't need to spend anywhere near the numbers you were saying to compete against a PS4 even with 2013-2014 era GPUs.
Yes. A 2020 console is going to have Zen 2 CPU with 8 Cores 16 Threads, at least 16GB RAM, an RX5700+ tier GPU with hardware Ray Tracing support. Pretty much what PCs of today have minus RT on AMD side. If PS4 Pro can do 1440p-1800p upscaled to 4k with what amounts to an RX480 then next gen can do 4K60 or 4K30 with RT. I would wager a bet they wont be much more than £500/$600 which is far cheaper than buying a new PC of similar spec.

Last edited:

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I will be shocked if we ever get a gen where the majority of AAA games run at 60. I'm hoping that we'll get a rock solid 30 at the minimum but that might be hoping for too much as well.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's not something that realistically matters to the mainstream video game consumer. You'll almost never hear anyone outside of enthusiast circles praising a game for it's frame rate, but you surely will hear if it looks worse than another game to achieve a better frame rate.

Even for myself recently I capped my Jedi: Fallen Order at 30 FPS to get better visuals rather than trying to push higher frame rate on my ageing PC.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
As much as we all won't it to be, it won't be. Devs will prioritize top notch graphics, which i don't mind really. Games that will 70fps will look like the best looking games this gen. But the 30fps games will look leagues better,

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
People who say they can't see the difference here are talking out of their arse.
I see a difference. But its so fucking insignificant and irrelevant to me that if you tried to sell me on that "difference" VS beautiful native 4K resolution, extra polished graphics, more graphical effects, ray tracing, etc at 30 FPS then I'd call you insane.

The difference is not meaningful enough to choose it over better visual fidelity. Period.

And that's why damn near every console game is 30FPS. 30fps is easier to sell, because most people agree with this train of thought. 60 fps enthusiasts are in the significant minority. And it will never change. Thankfully.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I'll preface this by saying I don't know much about what the new consoles are going to bring.

However, if they aren't going to play games at 4K 60FPS why even upgrade from my Xbox One X which plays games at 4K 30FPS?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Many of my favorite games from the last few years have been 30fps and if someone didn't point it out to me, I wouldn't have noticed or cared.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I do wonder how demanding multiformat AA games th
I have a hard time seeing the most demanding open world games doing 60 FPS next gen.

Examples such as GTA, Elder Scrolls, etc.

I really wonder how demanding these'll be on PC if they're 30fps on consoles, given how humoungous the CPU upgrade PS5/XB2 suppossedly is.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I want the convenience of a console, want to play console exclusives, play with friends on the same platform AND want good performance...
Yeah, I hate this argument.

I have a gaming PC. I hate using it. I want the console experience with 60fps standard across the board. I wish the console manufacturers had the courage to force devs to target 60.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is one of those threads where the first response really should have ended the thread. Especially considering that the flagship graphical feature both Microsoft and Sony will be bragging about will almost certainly be real time raytracing, guaranteeing 30fps will remain the standard.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's impossible for me to even go back to 60 after playing 120+ on a high refresh monitor. Anyone saying it's unnoticeable is crazy.

AlphaMale

Dec 21, 2017
60fps is good/required for some games, but not all games have to be. Just because you're sensitive to frames below 60 doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Mar 19, 2019
I mean, issa preference. I don't personally care too much about graphics or style or what framerate the game is intended to run at unless it's just something inarguably gorgeous. I generally just want a game that feels good to play.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
A smooth 30 FPS is fine for many single player games.

60 FPS is only necessary for fighting games and shooters.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Of course it is not. Cross gen titles will be probably all at 60 FPS but it won't be long for next gen only titles to come back to 30 FPS pretty quickly.