• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
No way. Even among only the series that appear in Smash Bros, Sonic's music is like C tier if you only kept the best stuff from the Genesis games. For all of gaming, it'd struggle to even break the top 40.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I've decided.

Sonic R exists, so Sonic wins by default.

You may now close the topic.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Nah, it's just one of the few games that could make the Mega Drive produce good music. But even then you got stuff like Contra Hard Corps.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
With respect to Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Kirby, and all the other long-runners consistently putting out great music, yes.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Sonic has some fantastic stand-out tunes, but if I'm being brutally honest with myself, it doesn't even have some of the best music within its own era.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I think just in terms of volume and longevity of the series and just how it's been pumping out tracks that absolutely it deserves some sort of special recognition.

the series has had its ups and downs but the music has been consistently amazing for 30 years

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For FUCKS sake no. Just no.
Zelda
Persona
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy
Xenoblade
Bloodborne

I could go on like this.
There are some good tunes, but equally as much cheesy trash.

Fuck no man.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
A somebody that grew up with the 16-bit originals, and used to hold a tape recorder up to the TV to make OSTs from the sound tests...

... no, not definitively.

You can make a case for top 10 very easily, maybe top 5, but there are just too many great series with fantastic soundtracks out there.
Even as much as I loved the S1/2/3K soundtracks as a kid - and I LOVED them, I always will - I still loved the Ecco 2 soundtrack just a bit more.

Can we get a Sonic Adventure 2 Remake/Remaster finally, that music is so good, as is the game.
It already got a HD/widescreen version a few years ago.
It's currently available on PC and backwards compatible on XB1. It's a decent remaster.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
It has some great music, but not so sure if I'd call it the best of all time. I mean it has some serious competition from the likes of Zelda and Silent Hill which are also strong contenders.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Probably. It's certainly more well known overall, I'd say. Something like Mega Man has a great soundtrack, but unless you're a diehard Mega Man fan, you'll probably only be able to pick out songs from 1-3 and X.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
tenor.gif

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Oh the temptation to post something from iDOLM@STER....

If people would listen to something other than the main themes and character themes, they'd realize how freaking great the music is from the Dreamcast era and beyond.

"Buttrock" is the absolute dumbest complaint people have. The Sonic franchise has a wiiiide variety of genres within its music.
When you see the selection Sega chose to rep Sonic with in Smash you can't really blame people for having this impression. They even went as far as to remove the Sonic R tracks in Smash for Wii U making the selection skew towards buttrock even more!

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Sega in general have some of the best OST in gaming. And are very consistent with it.

Also you can put any franchise in there OP and you ll have the usual hate bandwagoners pop up and say how "x" game is better than whatever you put.

Most people just listen to the Buttrock character themes and dismiss the entire soundtrack. It's definitely in the S tier of gaming soundtracks with very few other franchises.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh the temptation to post something from iDOLM@STER....

When you see the selection Sega chose to rep Sonic with in Smash you can't really blame people for having this impression. They even went as far as to remove the Sonic R tracks in Smash for Wii U making the selection skew towards buttrock even more!
And that's a major problem with Sonic's music in Smash in my opinion. Too much of it is vocal theme songs and not level themes. There's a ton of Green Hill clones they can grab music from if they wanted to fit the stages, and a lot of them are great tunes.

What even is "buttrock"?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that none of you fools have Ice Cap Zone or anything from Sonic 3 up here is a travesty.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I would put it pretty high if it wasn't for the switch to the cheesy Christian Rock-sounding tracks during this 21st century.

The tracks from the '90s games hold up very well.

Oct 28, 2017
Without question for me. Sonic is a series where you can play a random track from any number of Sonic games, not tell me what it is, and I'll probably be able to tell you what game and level it's from. There's no game music I love more than Sonic music, and Sonic just seems to get so many genres right.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic has some good stuff, but I vastly prefer Mega Man (OG, X, and ZX versions), Castle-fucking-Vania (shoutout to old Mini-bosses YT video), Final fantasy (specifically IV, V, VI, and XII), and a lot of others, frankly. M

but I do enjoy Sonics music, particularly 1-3&k and Mania

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Of course, OP! Not only does it have the best soundtrack in gaming, but it also has the best soundtrack outside of gaming too!
It also has the best writing and design, maybe! Hell, I think we could say it's the best franchise of interactive media ever produced.
Scratch that. The best franchise ever, just in general. Scratch that. It's the best thing that has ever been created, full stop.

Real answer: Katamari Damacy.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
If we're taking the entire franchise as a whole entity, I'd say so, because with only a couple of exceptions the Sonic games have fantastic soundtracks and are highly memorable. Every other long running franchise has a number of significant stinkers (like Mario with entire NSMB line), whereas Sonic at its lowest point (2006) still has a fantastic soundtrack. I wouldn't say any one particular Sonic game is deserving of the crown though, Unleashed is a serious contender but Nier is still the GOAT.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
If you look past its lows, yeah it's up there. But man does it have some stinkers in between the gold.

Oct 28, 2017
If you look past its lows, yeah it's up there. But man does it have some stinkers in between the gold.
The only main series Sonic game with a soundtrack that isn't a 10 is Forces. And Lost World I guess. And then you've got side games with killer soundtracks on top of that like the Sonic Rush games. Where are the stinkers? You're gonna have to dive in to spinoff shit to find non killer Sonic soundtracks.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's good though. If you're judging entire series, I'd probably go with Final Fantasy. An rpg series allows for a lot of different styles and tones that an action platformer can't necessarily get away with.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best and most varied in the industry, that gets snubbed by some because some of its most known tracks are very your mileage may vary lyrical tracks

Of course we gotta do one of those thread titles though huh?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the series as a whole, then absolutely.

Compared to other long-running franchises (because Sonic has so many great songs, only other similarly lengthy franchises have a chance to even compete), the only one I'd have even close is Zelda.