• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's up there, but as many have explained, there are better and more consistent franchises like Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Castlevania, and Zelda.

Oct 27, 2017
Here comes the GOAT

question is who ripped off whom ?

combichrist or sonic ?

I have to listen to this after work for the lulz, would be hilarious if Combichrist ripped off Sonic.

And yeah, the 8-bit and 16-bit games had some of the best music of that era. It kinda went down in quality from the Adventure series and onwards though.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I was going to say I am surprised to see much negativity here, but then I remembered that this is a Sonic the Hedgehog thread on ResetEra.

If you also add the side games the amount of high quality tracks is kind of unreal. Especially when you consider just how many different musical genres Sonic games tap into. Not sure I like saying it is outright the best, but many of the other franchises I see mentioned in this thread either have way less games/tracks to compare or are nowhere near as diverse.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
What the hell is this generalization as cheesy buttrock?
Like, listen to the level soundtracks posted here

Nov 17, 2017
Sonic music covers such a vast and varied range of musical styles and influences and it does them all really damn well. It's definitely up there as one of the greats.

Oct 25, 2017
It has a good soundtrack, but I've not been the biggest fan of the modern games soundtracks

Meanwhile I literally can't think of a single Kirby game with bad music.

Nov 17, 2017
It's up there, but as many have explained, there are better and more consistent franchises like Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Castlevania, and Zelda.
The quality of the music is the ONLY consistently good thing about Sonic games. I think it beats out the series you mentioned. Of those 4, Final Fantasy is really the only series that has close to the same variety as Sonic.

What the hell is this generalization as cheesy buttrock?
Like, listen to the level soundtracks posted here
Anyone who says that is just trolling. Honestly, even if we just look at the Adventure games which is where the "buttrock" generalization originated, you have hip-hop, jazz, electronic, etc.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's up there with some of the best for sure, but it's no Donkey Kong Country or Castlevania.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that listen Sonic music on daily basis, I think I agree! Not only great music all all the way till classic games. It just there is A LOT of Sonic based music.

Btw listening Sonic Adventure OST rn

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
easily has the best soundtrack of any mascot platformer. one of sega's strongest series and that's saying a lot as they probably historically have my favorite soundtracks in music-- barring maybe Konami.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
lol NO

DKC franchise has hit after Hit.
Metroid and the Primes
Megamans
Zeldas
Marios

I mean I really like a few of the sonic songs particularly sonic 3
but this song alone kills it's chances of even being in the top 5

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
A lot of people in here saying there's tons of better soundtracks.

But if there are so many of these supposed "better songs" out there, why aren't yall posting links? Surely it would be easy to demonstrate with a couple tracks...

source.gif

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Planet Wisp of all things. Why is that always the one people like the most? I thought it was the most so-so music in the game besides the aquatic place.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Planet Wisp of all things. Why is that always the one people like the most? I thought it was the most so-so music in the game besides the aquatic place.
I don't get Planet Wisp's appeal either. The scenery is nice, but the music is weird and bland if that makes sense.

Aquarium Park is awesome, though.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Yes, by far.

I´ve been playing videogames the last 30 years and never seen a saga with so many good tracks and catchy melodies.

It´s actually very impressive.

Last edited:

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not comfortable saying which one is the best, but Sonic is an excellent choice. There are others that have a number of my favorites, but Sonic is definitely one that has an uncommonly large number of hits.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is an offensive statement/thread.

lol stop

Some of the posts in here are ridiculous.

Right, the OP didn't need to say "THE best" but to deny that the Sonic series absolutely falls in the upper echelon of video game music is just straight up dishonest.

Even the bad 3D Sonic games are often known for having great music, let alone the incredible 2D ones.

Nov 17, 2017
The piano and strings give it this serene, nature vibe but underneath it there's this driving slap bass, guitar and percussion beat that adds a mechanical feeling which just perfectly encapsulates the setting.

This. Close the thread. DKC 2 is god-tier.

It's a bit too SNES for me. I think part of what makes the Sonic OSTs so good is that there's so many different kinds of music it tackles, that there's bound to be something you like in there. I think Sonic music is a lot more listenable on average. I couldn't listen to this stuff while doing work or driving or relaxing but there's lots of Sonic music that you can just play and it sounds just as good as the backdrop to a video game as it does as a stand alone song.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Some of my favourite tracks:

These violins:

Guitar + Violins in a thing of beauty:

And probably one if not the best collaboration of Hyper Potions to any videogame: Checkpoint.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's hard to argue on the basis of the long term that Sonic has and the relatively diverse set of styles that it takes from. Castlevania you know I love you but all your hit songs are built from the Andalusian cadence I fucking swear to god. About the only thing that comes close to me is Kirby but I think Kirby relies too much on revisiting old music from its history where Sonic tends to be more consistently musically innovative.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
Can´t think of any saga that had along the way such a good ammount of tracks in practically EVERY game.

Not even Mario or Zelda come close.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The piano and strings give it this serene, nature vibe but underneath it there's this driving slap bass, guitar and percussion beat that adds a mechanical feeling which just perfectly encapsulates the setting.
Yeah I think to me it just sounds like a scenic piece with funk elements in it. It's way too basic to be interesting to me. I love Sweet Sweet Mountain which has this sampled motif it keeps reiterating and an extravaganza vibe, and I especially love Asteroid Coaster which is "epic space rock"