• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Sonic has the best OST in gaming, but the amount of ignorance some people display while talking out of their asses about Sonic music (buuuutrooooock) is always amusing. Some people are really wired to think "eww" when they see the word Sonic.

Planet Wisp of all things. Why is that always the one people like the most? I thought it was the most so-so music in the game besides the aquatic place.

I wouldn't describe Planet Wisp basic, is so rich in instrumentation and mixing styles. You may dislike the melody but the arrangement is incredible IMO, it's so full of detail.

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah I think to me it just sounds like a scenic piece with funk elements in it. It's way too basic to be interesting to me. I love Sweet Sweet Mountain which has this sampled motif it keeps reiterating and an extravaganza vibe, and I especially love Asteroid Coaster which is "epic space rock"
Sweet Sweet Mountain is my favorite track from that game (specifically Act 2) but I just think Planet Wisp is pretty cool too. I think it also has a pretty strong melodic line.

Fun fact: The Sweet Mountain Map theme and Billy Hatcher's Opening use the same horn sample:

Which brings an even greater point. Sonic's music is great but it's no surprise because SEGA as a whole just knocks it out of the park with amazing music. I think in some ways they're even better than Nintendo when it comes to soundtracks. The stuff that SEGA does to Mario music in the Olympic games is a prime example.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not Castlevania, so no.

It has good music though, even in the shitty games.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Also, I hate the original version of this track, but this arrangement... daamn is smooth and so much better without Crush singing.

This Unplugged album is amazing btw.

Oct 27, 2017
lol NO

DKC franchise has hit after Hit.
Metroid and the Primes
Megamans
Zeldas
Marios

I mean I really like a few of the sonic songs particularly sonic 3
but this song alone kills it's chances of even being in the top 5

Scrap Brain is awesome and Sonic had way better music than anything Nintendo put out at the time, really.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's up there. Personally I'd probably put Zelda, halo, Starcraft, Warcraft and DKC above it. There's probably plenty of others too if I actually think about it.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The Sonic franchise has one of the most consistently good track records in terms of music aside from a few monumental duds. Even if most of the games are decent to not fun, the music is usually something you can enjoy. In fact, I probably listen to Sonic music overall in my own time far more than I listen to any other franchise's songs.
Here are a few of my favorites off the top of my head to show that it isn't just "buttrock." I don't know where that generalization came from.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Collectively? Easy top 5

Other contenders:

• Final Fantasy
  • Mega Man
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Mario
Honorable Mentions:

• Donkey Kong
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Persona
  • Xenoblade
  • Devil May Cry

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I love most of the music in the Sonic series, classic or modern.
I would say it's in my top five favorite video game franchises music-wise along with Zelda, Final Fantasy, Mario, Donkey Kong, and Mega Man. I think I sub out Donkey Kong with other franchises at a whim's notice, but that's usually my list.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
"best ever" being hard to quantify aside...

This complaint about "buttrock" in Sonic is asinine. Sonic Adventure 1/2 alone has jazz, rap, electronica, rock, Bossa Nova, and a whole bunch in between. Three songs (Open your Heart, Live and Learn, and City Escape) are butt rock out of over 100. It's like saying Final Fantasy XIII is pop trash because it featured "My Hands" by Leona Lewis. Shitty song, yeah, but there's 80 other songs that are amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 1 - Sonic 3+K collectively well might.

Even in their newer games, stuff like Windy Hill Act 1, Rooftop Run Classic, and Death Egg (Generations) are basically among the best compositions in video games within the new millennium.

Very few games have put together such a run in quality across multiple games. I would have argued this easily ten years ago, and I would still probably make this argument today.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Folks out here listing whole franchises and sonic got shit games with tracks let alone whole albums with songs better than that franchises musical output. Obviously this isn't an objective yes, but does sonic have one of the best musical track records in video games, hell yeah?
'

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Some true classics here and there but nope!

Donkey Kong might be it, imo.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
...There's some folks out here caping for megaman music. I mean you can do that if you want I suppose.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man doesn't often stray beyond various flavors of pop or rock, but it's got the quantity and quality to be in the conversation.
I'm not trying to say it has bad music. I think that's too harsh right. I find a lot of it to be like not memorable. Now that might sound wild right because people will bring up very famous classics. But like outside of those there are like entire games and parts of series where I don't remember any of the music. I love the fuck out of megaman ZX and ZX advent and I could not tell you any standout tracks.

I don't think it has the quantity to be honest. Its not bad, I just don't think a lot of it past a certain point is kinda not memorable.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely in the boat that thinks it's pretty up there in terms of overall soundtracks. I dig the franchise's discography to the point that I recently started a Twitter account dedicated to it after having seen similar ones pop up for other game series. They definitely seem to love experimenting with all different styles and sounds across the many games, though I am plenty guilty about loving the butt rock as well. Even most lesser Sonic games at least have a decent soundtrack if not a standout tune or two.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
No.

71UUT%2Bf1bhL._SL1002_.jpg

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there really is a BEST when it comes to soundtracks, but Sonic music absolutely slaps and it's a large part of what got me interested in games in the first place.

Sonic's music is definitely in the higher end of quality gaming music though. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Katamari Damacy and a fair number of franchises are in that level to me.

Hard for me to agree with Zelda being up in that level to people though. Not with THOSE main enemy encounter themes it isn't.

Sep 28, 2018
The fact that this topic comes up at least once every 6 months is testament to the greatness of the Sonic music.

Also, yes. Some absolute incredible tunes.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
That honour would go to Ghost Trick :P Sonic music is good though, generally speaking.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
That honor goes to streets of rage & streets of rage 2, but sonic music is definitely up there.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This thread and so many posts in it make me think of the "Y'all ever see a take so bad you are forced to immediately go to sleep?"
Sonic isn't even top ten. How could it be if much less than 50% of Sonic Songs can be considered good? And it doesn't have any outstanding ones.
night