• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Patch

Nov 9, 2017
People really in here saying Mario lol.

Yes, let's listen to the Athletic Theme instead of Chemical Plant and Dry Lagoon.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I love the Sonic series so I'm biased but...

Sonic music is the only video game franchise in which I can listen to entire soundtracks in one setting and never get fatigue. The vast quantity and quality is unmatched. You can't tell me you don't feel insanely happy listening to Sonic Mania or Sonic R's soundtrack. Or the cultural scope of Sonic Unleashed with its grandiose themes.

And outside of liscenced soundtracks, there's no game series as diverse as the Sonic soundtracks. Rock, rap, orchestral/classical, jazz, House, Funk, R&B, it just goes on and on. You can expect Mario music to sound like "Mario music" but with Sonic Soundtracks you don't know what you are going to get but you know it's gonna be quality.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
For a whole series the music is pretty good. If we're talking about a single sound track then no not even close imo. But, a lot of games don't have a complete series sound track that is that consistent. Sometimes the music was better than the actual game lol. That said not a lot of long running series to compare to outside of Nintendo, Capcom, and... Namco?

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Donkey Kong Country
Mega Man
Final Fantasy
Chrono Trigger/Cross
Sonic
Castlevania
Zelda
Street Fighter

Not the best but certainly among the best.

Yes, let's listen to the Athletic Theme instead of Chemical Plant and Dry Lagoon.
Yeah seriously. I was a Nintendo boy, I love Mario and I was obsessed with both Galaxy and Odyssey games.

But when it comes to music, Sonic trounces Mario with the Genesis trilogy alone. That's not even to mention Colors, SA, Rush or Mania.

This is an offensive statement/thread.
It isn't remotely offensive, they're just being inflammatory to get a reaction. Sonic is widely recognized for having excellent game OSTs.

Last edited:

Pascal

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
It's just weird to say "definitely has better music than the other series with amazing music."
Mega Man music, while great in its own right, just never really hits my ear in the same way that Sonic music does. Even the bad Sonic games (usually) have great music. And you can't really beat the sheer variety of musical styles represented in the Sonic series.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Mega Man music, while great in its own right, just never really hits my ear in the same way that Sonic music does. Even the bad Sonic games (usually) have great music. And you can't really beat the sheer variety of musical styles represented in the Sonic series.

To be fair, the quality comparison isn't fair given how many more great Mega Man games there are at this point lol.

ALTHOUGH, I will say X7 is close to that Sonic 06 level of bad and has some bangers.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I love both Sonic and Mario music but I have no shame in admitting I enjoy Mario music more in general.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
what? even the bad games have good music...
But how many? One song out of 20? And how many have great songs? Other Soundtracks have at least most songs at good or better. And for me personally there are several Sonic games that don't have a single good song.

I am feeling like this thread is a collective effort to gaslight me. Many of the posted Sonic Songs are bad.

And to the notion that it is so varied and thus has something for everyone I will compare it with restaurants. There are places that also offer a huge variety different foods and on paper you will have something for everyone. People who have low enough standards or like trashy junk food will like the food there. Everything is low quality though. In contrast, Restaurants with a limited selection often perfect those few dishes they serve. Best Restaurants are always of the latter category not the former. Best Soundtracks should also be from the latter category not the former. Not a perfect comparison but I feel it fits for Sonic.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, people are caping for a series that goes hand in hand with "great video game music."

What's weird is thinking that's weird.

I agree. People trying to downplay MM music is fucking bizarre. The classic series, X series, and ZX have damn near nothing but bangers, front to back. And that's how many games?

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Yes you are correct OP. Sonic has amazing OSTs people in here must be confusing Sonics metacritic scores with its soundrrack

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

3D World's Atheltic Theme is good and it have the honour to be one of the few Mario themes I remember. And I'm a big fan of 3D Mario. But that's it! Same with Zelda. Besides Ocarina of Time, the music is serviceable. Amazing games though

That would be FF 10, DKC, and generally anything by David Wise.
DKC series is great and one of my favorites ever but only 3 games have great music. DKC1, DKC2 and DKCTF

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
This thread and so many posts in it make me think of the "Y'all ever see a take so bad you are forced to immediately go to sleep?"
Sonic isn't even top ten. How could it be if much less than 50% of Sonic Songs can be considered good? And it doesn't have any outstanding ones.
night
Well take your ass to bed then and go to the only place where sonic doesn't have any outstanding songs. Your dreams

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tee Lopes has been bringing some absolute bangers to the table recently, his work in Team Sonic Racing was ace.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Mega Man (mainline) has significantly higher high points. And bonus: none of its music was composed by or collaborated with a problematic pop icon.

That song "Hard Times" by The Jetzons is great though in Ice Cap Zone.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm partial to Halo, Zelda, and JSRF. But Sonic certainly has many memorable tracks.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
But how many? One song out of 20? And how many have great songs? Other Soundtracks have at least most songs at good or better. And for me personally there are several Sonic games that don't have a single good song.

I am feeling like this thread is a collective effort to gaslight me. Many of the posted Sonic Songs are bad.

And to the notion that it is so varied and thus has something for everyone I will compare it with restaurants. There are places that also offer a huge variety different foods and on paper you will have something for everyone. People who have low enough standards or like trashy junk food will like the food there. Everything is low quality though. In contrast, Restaurants with a limited selection often perfect those few dishes they serve. Best Restaurants are always of the latter category not the former. Best Soundtracks should also be from the latter category not the former. Not a perfect comparison but I feel it fits for Sonic.

you think the classic sonic games have one good song each? you don't think there are ANY outstanding Sonic themes? i don't like the vocal sonic themes

your analogy to restaurants...yikes lmao

Mega Man (mainline) has significantly higher high points. And bonus: none of its music was composed by or collaborated with a problematic pop icon.

That song "Hard Times" by The Jetzons is great though in Ice Cap Zone.

well, to be fair, the MJ music in Sonic 3 is the worst part of the game's OST.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Definitely one of the best and is generally the one that I play on its own more often than not because it's good driving music for me.

I am always reluctant to ever consider something "the best" without context. There are a lot of soundtracks I really love of course, but different ones fit different moods and are always more of a "best fit" at a given time rather than "greatest of all time".

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say the best but they're certainly up there. We have a lot of series with great soundtracks, like the Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mega Man, Phoenix Wright, and Persona, that it's hard to go with any one in particular standing out as the best

This song is way too good for Shadow the Hedgehog. That game has a pretty damn solid soundtrack actually.

I disagree, actually. Shadow the Hedgehog is one of the few Sonic games I can think that doesn't have a good soundtrack. I think I only remembered the Crush40 songs, which were okay, and Westopolis because I heard it a billion times. That one isn't bad but it to me is another example of just how forgettable the whole game really is

There's a lot better from Mario than the Athletic Theme, such as from the Galaxy games and 3D World or, less obvious choice, the Mario RPGs or Mario Kart 8. That being said, yeah, I do feel that the Sonic games still have a better soundtrack as a whole

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
3D World's Atheltic Theme is good and it have the honour to be one of the few Mario themes I remember. And I'm a big fan of 3D Mario. But that's it! Same with Zelda. Besides Ocarina of Time, the music is serviceable. Amazing games though

DKC series is great and one of my favorites ever but only 3 games have great music. DKC1, DKC2 and DKCTF

The music for those 3 is amazing, though

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Well take your ass to bed then and go to the only place where sonic doesn't have any outstanding songs. Your dreams
I already did directly after that post, but thank you very much for your concern over my health.

you think the classic sonic games have one good song each? you don't think there are ANY outstanding Sonic themes? i don't like the vocal sonic themes

your analogy to restaurants...yikes lmao
Ok, Boomer :)
The classic sonic games are the bad sonic games?

And to both of you: Well, I must be still dreaming, 'cause here there are no outstandingly good Sonic themes. Granted, I haven't listened to all themes, but I played a few games and listened to all Sonic music posted in this thread. And since the themes posted here are the allegedly best themes in all Sonic games, I am very confident there are no outstandingly good Sonic Themes. Very few great ones, some good, mostly bad, but none outstandingly good. None like Terra's theme, the man with the machine gun, Megalovania, Farewell Hyrule King, Dancing Mad, Guile's Theme, Buck Bumble, At Doom's Gate (E1M1), Still Alive or Baba Yetu.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Sonic has amazing music but there's other franchises I'd rank a good deal above I think

Mario
Zelda
Megaman
Final Fantasy
Pokemon
Donkey Kong Country

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I'm gonna be real, I'm a huge Zelda fan, but I don't know if I'd ever put Zelda in my top music of all time. Sure, there are tons of fantastic songs, but any of the enemy encounter themes or normal boss fight themes are just okay in my opinion.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The music for those 3 is amazing, though
Really amazing that's for sure. Add Diddy Kong Racing to the mix as well. But within Sonic series I can listen back to back all the music of Sonic 1, 2, 3, k, CD 3D Blast and Mania, Sonic R and Jam, both Sonic Adventure games, Sonic Colors, Generations and Lost World! Also Racing Transformed and Team Sonic Racing. It just so many and amazing music!

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
It's up there for sure. I remember one day being on YouTube and just listening to Sonic music. Don't really do that for other games apart from Dark Souls.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've been thinking and my top 5 (in no particular order) favorite overall video game series soundtracks are as follows,

Sonic
Guilty Gear
Castlevania
Mega Man
Final Fantasy

The sheer amount of games in each of these series and the amount of outstanding music that accompanies them is nothing to scoff at. In fact if it weren't for their music I wouldn't even like these games as much as I do.