• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If I'm not wrong it doesn't work if you're already subscribed.

That's what it seems like. I believe any Gold time I add will be automatically converted to less GPU time, indicated below.

1 month of Gold20 days of Ultimate
3 months of Gold50 days of Ultimate (1+ month)
6 months of Gold79 days of Ultimate (2+ months)
12 months of Gold4 months of Ultimate
24 months of Gold8 months of Ultimate
1 month of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)20 days of Ultimate
3 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)2 months of Ultimate
6 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)4 months of Ultimate
12 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)5 months of Ultimate
24 months of Xbox Game Pass (Console Games)10 months of Ultimate
1 month of Xbox Game Pass PC Games20 days of Ultimate

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Perfect ok, and when buying one month of Ultimate, does that need to be a code from a site as well or just through the actual store on the console?

It can be either as both methods grant you a GPU subscription which is the most important part; doesn't matter what the method costs ($1, $14.99, whatever) or how many days you get (7 or 14 days, 1 or 3 months) as long as it grants you a GPU sub, that action will cause your existing subs to convert.

Does this work for extending existing GPU subscriptions? Mine will expire in January but I'd like to extend it now.

From what I'm reading, there's a conversion rate for adding Gold time to GPU subs.

Existing GPU subscriptions do not get the 1:1 conversion rate which is why you must wait for it to expire or completely cancel it. If you *really* want to extend it now, you can completely cancel your GPU subscription (and lose the remaining 6 months of your sub) so it reverts you back a non-GPU account and then stock up + convert again.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just buy 3 years of XBL and then a week GPU sub and it'll convert it to 3 years?

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long do you think this will last? I'm planning on buying a Series S and want to hold off as much as possible.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
So, I just buy 3 years of XBL and then a week GPU sub and it'll convert it to 3 years?
If you have never had a GPU sub, then you buy three years of XBL and convert it to GPU for $1, at which point your 36 months of XBL get converted into 36 months of GPU.
If you used to have a GPU sub that is no longer active, then you buy three years of XBL and pay $14.99 for a month of GPU, at which point your 36 months of XBL gets converted into 35 months of GPU (plus the one month you just bought for $15).
If you have an active GPU sub, it does a value-for-value conversion and your 36 months of XBL gets converted into 10 months of GPU.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If you have never had a GPU sub, then you buy three years of XBL and convert it to GPU for $1, at which point your 36 months of XBL get converted into 36 months of GPU.
If you used to have a GPU sub that is no longer active, then you buy three years of XBL and pay $14.99 for a month of GPU, at which point your 36 months of XBL gets converted into 35 months of GPU (plus the one month you just bought for $15).
If you have an active GPU sub, it does a value-for-value conversion and your 36 months of XBL gets converted into 10 months of GPU.
Awesome, thanks. I fall into the 2nd category 🙏

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
Dropping in to say this still works in the UK. I just bought three 12 month Xbox Live Gold (EU) subscription codes from CDKeys and after redeeming all three codes on my Microsoft account, I was able to upgrade all 36 months to Game Pass Ultimate for £1. All good now until August 2024!

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
So this route should still work right? Has anyone tried it recently?
slickdeals.net

Xbox Ultimate 27 Months $73

I have put together a guide to get 27 months of xbox live ultimate for less than $73. The retail value is over $400. Please read the notes before proceeding. Step 1: Buy 2 cd keys Brazil 12 month ...
basically buy Brazilian Gold cards from CDKeys, use a VPN with a Brazil IP, to redeem them. Then turn off VPN, and convert to GPU.
Obviously prices arent the same as the link above, but brazilian gold codes seem to still be the cheapest prices for Gold, consistently. Currently $40.59 for 12 months.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Glad this still works, £75 for 3 years!

231198799_311734430732368_7482068920108481520_n.png

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
I always get cold feet with the turkish method and stuff.. I know I should because it saves quite a bit but I am always afraid I will lose my account with so many games on it :(

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Just incase anyone was curious and was nervous doing the VPN trick.

My Gamepass ran out today and I just grabbed 3 $59.99 gold cards (Canada) and loaded them up, then went to the gamepass website and subscribed.

Converted into 3 years perfectly so still working.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Former game pass subscriber:
- Add game pass time
- Add xbox gold time -> buy single full price month ($15) converts all to game pass

I think I've messed this up.
By "add game pass time" did you mean reactivate a subscription so I'm an active subrciber at this time?
Because now when I try to add XLG codes it asks me if I want to convert it to 4 months of GPU... Did I not have to reactivate my subscription?
If so, does that mean I have to let my new 1 month GPU subscription run out again and then try to add the XLG codes?

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
By "add game pass time" did you mean reactivate a subscription so I'm an active subrciber at this time?
Because now when I try to add XLG codes it asks me if I want to convert it to 4 months of GPU... Did I not have to reactivate my subscription?
If so, does that mean I have to let my new 1 month GPU subscription run out again and then try to add the XLG codes?
you should of added the gold subs first then added the game pass sub to convert it. so you will have to wait for the month to run out before trying again.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
you should of added the gold subs first then added the game pass sub to convert it. so you will have to wait for the month to run out before trying again.
Hmm then that post that I've quoted is very misleading since it specifically says to add game pass time as the first step...
Ah well. Wasted 10€. I guess I'll look for an indy game to play until the sub runs out to get my money's worth back.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Yes you messed up. You have to convert from gold to ultimate, not the other way. You'll have to wait this new month and pay an additional month of ultimate to add after you redeem the gold months (only do that once this ultimate month expires).

If you are actively subscribed to ultimate, any gold card redeems as much less time.

Hmm then that post that I've quoted is very misleading since it specifically says to add game pass time as the first step...
Ah well. Wasted 10€. I guess I'll look for an indy game to play until the sub runs out to get my money's worth back.

Yes it sounds misleading. But thread title and post #1 are clear: upgrade from gold to game pass, just keeping in mind that the 1$ thing is supposed to work only once per account (and thus you have to pay a higher price for the ultimate sub you use for conversion, be it a stand alone month, a week from eneba, or whatever you find cheaper).

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Yes you messed up. You have to convert from gold to ultimate, not the other way. You'll have to wait this new month and pay an additional month of ultimate to add after you redeem the gold months (only do that once this ultimate month expires).

If you are actively subscribed to ultimate, any gold card redeems as much less time.

Yes it sounds misleading. But thread title and post #1 are clear: upgrade from gold to game pass, just keeping in mind that the 1$ thing is supposed to work only once per account (and thus you have to pay a higher price for the ultimate sub you use for conversion, be it a stand alone month, a week from eneba, or whatever you find cheaper).
Alright, gotcha. Guess I was too impatient.
Ah well. Let's see how well Yakuza LAD runs on my PC.
/Edit: Settled on The Ascent.

Last edited:

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Doing the 12x3 (36 month) XBL Gold pre-load + 1 month of GPU after to upgrade does not work if done at the same time/day.
It counts as 37 months in their system and will throw a generic error if attempted. I found myself in this situation and just spoke with MS Support about it. They confirmed that if you're looking to upgrade an existing Gold subscription, the maximum you can have active at that step is 35 full months, not 36 months.

7 day GPU codes still work with 36 months active to upgrade with (they round months downwards it seems like), but not 1-month codes/recurring plans. You have to wait 1 day for your active subscription total to be 35 months, 30 days, then upgrade to GPU using a 1-month code/plan.

Just figure I'd mention that as MS does not offer 7-day GPU plans themselves, and it's not immediately obvious you have to wait a day to upgrade if you redeem x3 12 month Gold codes and plan to use a 1-month GPU code.

Last edited:

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Doing the 12x3 (36 month) XBL Gold pre-load + 1 month of GPU after to upgrade does not work if done at the same time/day.
It counts as 37 months in their system and will throw a generic error if attempted. I found myself in this situation and just spoke with MS Support about it. They confirmed that if you're looking to upgrade an existing Gold subscription, the maximum you can have active at that step is 35 full months, not 36 months.

7 day GPU codes still work with 36 months active to upgrade with (they round months downwards it seems like), but not 1-month codes/recurring plans. You have to wait 1 day for your active subscription total to be 35 months, 30 days, then upgrade to GPU using a 1-month code/plan.

Just figure I'd mention that as MS does not offer 7-day GPU plans themselves, and it's not immediately obvious you have to wait a day to upgrade if you redeem x3 12 month Gold codes and plan to use a 1-month GPU code.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me without ever trying to do the process yet personally. I have been looking into getting gamepass for PC for quite awhile but all the talk of GPU screwing over your PC and HDD space has turned me off so far. With the upcoming BF2042 beta and early access with EA play, I am looking into it again. Does something like this still work?
slickdeals.net

I have put together a guide to get 27 months of xbox live ultimate for less than $73. The retail value is over $400. Please read the notes before proceeding. Step 1: Buy 2 cd keys Brazil 12 month ...

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I converted a bunch of gold into Ultimate last year and its coming up in Oct. What choices do I have to re--sub?

Oct 25, 2017
oh so i can do this twice, but instead of paying the $1 you just pay the standard price for the initial month and then the xbl gets converted?

so my gpu expires end of oct right, i want to 3 years now, so i can buy 3 years of xbox live gold, and then just renew for the standard price, and i will have 3 years of gpu? i dont mind not paying $1 instead of the 15 or whatever, id rather use my account again instead of making a new acc

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me without ever trying to do the process yet personally. I have been looking into getting gamepass for PC for quite awhile but all the talk of GPU screwing over your PC and HDD space has turned me off so far. With the upcoming BF2042 beta and early access with EA play, I am looking into it again. Does something like this still work?
slickdeals.net

Yeah should work no problem as instructed.

What I went on about was if you're doing 36 months, then you have to wait 1 day between step 7&8 essentially but otherwise the same process.

PMA

Alt account / Attempted to circumvent ban with alt
Banned
Sep 13, 2021
I just managed to snag an Xbox Series X. I used to have an Xbox Live Account but haven't used it in a bit so it's lapsed. I did try gamepass once on it though.

1. Can I do this trick on an existing account like I mentioned or should I start a new one?
2. I'm in Australia are there any limits to this here?
3. Basically I just need to load up 3 x 12 Xbox Live Gold things and then snag a $1 'convert to gamepass ultimate' right? Where do you get the $1 conver to gamepass ultimate vouchers though :/

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I just managed to snag an Xbox Series X. I used to have an Xbox Live Account but haven't used it in a bit so it's lapsed. I did try gamepass once on it though.

1. Can I do this trick on an existing account like I mentioned or should I start a new one?
2. I'm in Australia are there any limits to this here?
3. Basically I just need to load up 3 x 12 Xbox Live Gold things and then snag a $1 'convert to gamepass ultimate' right? Where do you get the $1 conver to gamepass ultimate vouchers though :/
1. The upgrade works on an existing account as long as does not have an active subscription to game pass ultimate.
2. No regional issues I'm aware of
3. Yes, first redeem up to 3 years of xbox live codes (do not accept any free months they may offer you or you won't be able to redeem your last 12 month code). The "$1 conversion" thing people reference is Microsoft's promotional offer for new Ultimate subscribers (https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/x...C0KHS0/0007?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab) where it costs just a dollar for your first month.

The upgrade/conversion of your subscription time to Ultimate actually happens whenever you add Ultimate to an account that already has any of gold/game pass for pc/game pass for console. There's nothing special about the dollar promo, it's just the cheapest way to get Ultimate. If the promo price isn't available (which can happen if you've used it before) you can upgrade your time by buying a month of ultimate at normal price.

Last edited:

PMA

Alt account / Attempted to circumvent ban with alt
Banned
Sep 13, 2021
1. The upgrade works on an existing account as long as does not have an active subscription to game pass ultimate.
2. No regional issues I'm aware of
3. Yes, first redeem up to 3 years of xbox live codes (do not accept any free months they may offer you or you won't be able to redeem your last 12 month code). The "$1 conversion" thing people reference is Microsoft's promotional offer for new Ultimate subscribers (https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/x...C0KHS0/0007?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab) where it costs just a dollar for your first month.

The upgrade/conversion of your subscription time to Ultimate actually happens whenever you add Ultimate to an account that already has gold/game pass for pc/game pass for console. There's nothing special about the dollar promo, it's just the cheapest way to get Ultimate. If the promo price isn't available (which can happen if you've used it before) you can upgrade your time by buying a month of ultimate at normal price.

Great stuff- thank you

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just did this, so I'm set for Game Pass until November 2024.

Had to pay the full price for a month of GPU though, because I'd been given three free months of Game Pass for buying the console.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is still working? My GPU is expiring in the coming months; to be sure I have this right…
Let GPU expire
Add Gold up to 3 years (do not accept any free months)
The $1 promo should show up, claim it and it'll convert Gold to GPU 1:1
Yeah? I have already done this conversion once before, does that change anything?

Also, what happens to my GWG titles if I have a gap in my subscription? Do I get them back once I reactivate or are they lost due to the gap?

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Or... you just let it expire, go without gold for like 6 weeks, and sign up for the 3 months for $1.

If you don't mind gaps of a month or two, it's stupid cheap to keep signing up for these trials.

Xbox 360 GWG titles are permanent, forever.
Xbox One GWG titles first check if you have Gold before they can launch.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Or... you just let it expire, go without gold for like 6 weeks, and sign up for the 3 months for $1.

If you don't mind gaps of a month or two, it's stupid cheap to keep signing up for these trials.

Xbox 360 GWG titles are permanent, forever.
Xbox One GWG titles first check if you have Gold before they can launch.
So I'll have access to all of my previous GWG redemptions even if I let it lapse? They're still considered activated and just do a license check?

Also I'm not sure I'm following the free trial thing. If I let GPU lapse (and by extension gold) Microsoft will eventually offer me a free trial of GPU?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they've offered me 3 months for a dollar twice after letting it lapse twice. i'm starting to think that's the max though.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So I'll have access to all of my previous GWG redemptions even if I let it lapse? They're still considered activated and just do a license check?

Also I'm not sure I'm following the free trial thing. If I let GPU lapse (and by extension gold) Microsoft will eventually offer me a free trial of GPU?
1) Yes. Once you get Gold (GPU includes Gold), the old titles work again

2) As long as they keep letting me take the $1 trials every few months, I'm going to do that over buying 3 years worth of Gold.

deadkraken

Oct 27, 2017
Resurrecting, does the trick still work?. Also if you've done it before and then let your gamepass lapse for a few months will the trick still work?.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be trying this again this month. Hopefully it will work still. I used it the first time but should have bought more time.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I did this a year ago for the full three years. If I bought a year of XBL right now, souls I just pay another dollar to convert it to ultimate?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Resurrecting, does the trick still work?. Also if you've done it before and then let your gamepass lapse for a few months will the trick still work?.

The day this "trick" stops working, there's gonna be a big ass thread on it and everyone will know about it because that's how you get the most value out of Game Pass right now. But yes, it still works.

I did this a year ago for the full three years. If I bought a year of XBL right now, souls I just pay another dollar to convert it to ultimate?

Doesn't work like that, mate. Once you convert, you need to wait until your GPU subscription expires before you can do it again. Or you can choose to cancel your subscription outright and lose those two remaining years to try to convert again. Otherwise, the 1 year of Gold will convert to 4 months of Ultimate if you chose to add it to your current GPU subscription.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I want to get an Xbox Series S just for Gamepass (UK). I see they do an Xbox All Access deal in which you get the console and Ultimate for £20.99 a month over 24 months. Is this a rip off? Is it best just to get the console and do the three year Gold to Ultiamte conversion? Never been an Xbox user before.