• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
For any newcomers to this thread, READ THE FIRST PAGE

If I buy XBL codes how long are they valid for? You think they'd last a couple years?

Actually a good question, my three years expire in 15 months, I'd be interested to know if stocking up on Gold codes is a good or stupid idea.

If Microsoft has maintained the same policy they've always had, non-promotional Xbox Live Gold codes you buy have an expiration date of 2999. Or was it 2099. Something like that.

damn, game's truly gone

Fake news

I was a bit confused when I saw the story. So does this mean that the convert offer is now truly dead?

Innocent until proven guilty.

Would be great if someone could confirm this who has tried it after the trial ended. There has to be someone lol.

It must be only a matter of time until the 1:1 conversion will go away as frankly it hardly makes sense, but just hoping it's still available a bit later after Starfield and some of the bigger MS exclusives have released.

Agreed.

Just to dispel any FUD here, I can guarantee you that the day the 1:1 conversion rate goes away, EVERYONE will be talking about it because the value of Game Pass will most DEFINITELY be reevaluated. Absolutely no question about that.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
So my current ultimate sub expires in 15 days, can I unsub and do all of these steps now or should I wait until it runs out after I cancel?

If I buy all the codes now, would this method still work in 15 days time?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
So my current ultimate sub expires in 15 days, can I unsub and do all of these steps now or should I wait until it runs out after I cancel?

No you can't unsub. I wish that was a thing.

As for your second question, that is anybody's guess. I'm guessing it will though.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

you can't expunge your current sub, no. You will likely be able to do the conversion in two weeks, so nbd. Just cancel your sub so it doesn't renew though

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Have until June 2025 with my membership, so you still have to let it lapse before you can take advantage of this(Briefly reading the thread, seems like this is the case)? Think that's as far as it's going if that's the case.

Still been a great experience regardless with Game Pass.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
36 month xbox live gold? does that exist anymore? i tried looking to buy somewhere... not seeing but i do see 12 month gold

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got 3 years of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for $100 total. Got 3 years of Xbox Live from Eneba and a 1-month Game Pass Ultimate Trial code from CDKeys. My original subscription expired five days ago, but now I'm good until March 2026.

Apr 9, 2018
Just did it myself, 3 years of Gold and 1 month of Game Pass Ultimate from CDKeys
Redeemed the Gold,
Redeemed the Ultimate,
Game Pass until April 2026 🕺

Did this in Ireland with no VPN, and an elapsed subscription, it just worked! €134 instead of retail price of €470, not a bad deal at all

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Can you mix UK xbox gold with turkey?

I can get 2 years of gold for free with my MS reward points and want to top up the final year with 12month code from CDkeys.

bid0

Mar 22, 2022
Would be great if someone could confirm this who has tried it after the trial ended. There has to be someone lol.

It must be only a matter of time until the 1:1 conversion will go away as frankly it hardly makes sense, but just hoping it's still available a bit later after Starfield and some of the bigger MS exclusives have released.
That's what this whole topic is about

You can use any kind of Game Pass Ultimate to upgrade your gold subscription. The only stipulation is it has to be "Game Pass Ultimate" and not just regular "Game Pass"

2 years of Gold + 1 year of Game Pass Ultimate = 3 Years of Game Pass Ultimate
2 years 6 months of Gold + 1 month of Game Pass Ultimate = 2 years 7 months Years of Game Pass Ultimate
2 years 6 months of Gold + 1 month trial of Game Pass Ultimate = 2 years 7 months Years of Game Pass Ultimate
1 month of Gold + 1 year of Game Pass Ultimate - 1 year 1 month of Game Pass Ultimate

Just make sure you've redeemed/purchased your Gold subscription before you top it up with Game Pass Ultimate.

The max period is 3 years (36 months), anything more and you'll have problems redeeming.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
That's what this whole topic is about

You can use any kind of Game Pass Ultimate to upgrade your gold subscription. The only stipulation is it has to be "Game Pass Ultimate" and not just regular "Game Pass"

2 years of Gold + 1 year of Game Pass Ultimate = 3 Years of Game Pass Ultimate
2 years 6 months of Gold + 1 month of Game Pass Ultimate = 2 years 7 months Years of Game Pass Ultimate
2 years 6 months of Gold + 1 month trial of Game Pass Ultimate = 2 years 7 months Years of Game Pass Ultimate
1 month of Gold + 1 year of Game Pass Ultimate - 1 year 1 month of Game Pass Ultimate

Just make sure you've redeemed/purchased your Gold subscription before you top it up with Game Pass Ultimate.

The max period is 3 years (36 months), anything more and you'll have problems redeeming.

In addition to this, I included that information in the FAQ on the first page which is why I keep referring people to it 🫠

Also, I believe the context of OP's post was if the 1:1 conversion worked after Microsoft killed the $1 promos, not after your trial ends. I could be wrong!

Can you mix UK xbox gold with turkey?

I can get 2 years of gold for free with my MS reward points and want to top up the final year with 12month code from CDkeys.

I don't believe you can. I searched this thread and there was a post from 2021 saying getting another Gold from another region will override your existing Gold if it is not the same region.

Last edited:

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
In addition to this, I included that information in the FAQ on the first page which is why I keep referring people to it 🫠

Also, I believe the context of OP's post was if the 1:1 conversion worked after Microsoft killed the $1 promos, not after your trial ends. I could be wrong!

I don't believe you can. I searched this thread and there was a post from 2021 saying getting another Gold from another region will override your existing Gold if it is not the same region.

Ok thanks. I won't risk it.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I know some people on the last page were wondering if the cheap 1-month non-stackable GPU codes will work to convert from Gold and I can confirm: Yes, they do. Just loaded up on three years and I converted with a $3 non-stackable code from Eneba.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am having some trouble redeeming.
I tried NordVPN, didnt work. I am trying windscribe, but its not working. Both give me "GeoRestricted" error, different region. I changed the region on microsoft.com to Turkey and I am connected to Turkey VPN.
Urban VPN worked.
New problem. I could only redeem 12 months of gold. When I try to add the next 12 months I get this message
"Hold off extending this right now
You've reached the limit of how far you can extend a subscription"
I double checked, only have 12 months gold redeemed right now.

Last edited:

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I am having some trouble redeeming.
I tried NordVPN, didnt work. I am trying windscribe, but its not working. Both give me "GeoRestricted" error, different region. I changed the region on microsoft.com to Turkey and I am connected to Turkey VPN.
Urban VPN worked.
New problem. I could only redeem 12 months of gold. When I try to add the next 12 months I get this message
"Hold off extending this right now
You've reached the limit of how far you can extend a subscription"
I double checked, only have 12 months gold redeemed right now.

Got the same problem but I think you have to wait a day to redeem another code. It was yesterday I had this problem so will try again today.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
Are they giving out 1 free month when you activate auto renewal right now? A mate abused that by adding 3 month codes, activating auto renewal, getting 1 more month, then canceling auto renewal, and then adding another 3 month code and so on, he got a year total in free auto renewal extra time. That was last year tho so idk if it still works, my sub is out in 10 days so maybe I can try it out if anyone knows

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Are they giving out 1 free month when you activate auto renewal right now? A mate abused that by adding 3 month codes, activating auto renewal, getting 1 more month, then canceling auto renewal, and then adding another 3 month code and so on, he got a year total in free auto renewal extra time. That was last year tho so idk if it still works, my sub is out in 10 days so maybe I can try it out if anyone knows
I tried this when I was loading up a few days ago, and they only offered it once. When I turned off auto renewal and entered the next code, I wasn't able to claim another free month. From what I've read, it seems like whether it works or not is basically a lottery.

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
I tried this when I was loading up a few days ago, and they only offered it once. When I turned off auto renewal and entered the next code, I wasn't able to claim another free month. From what I've read, it seems like whether it works or not is basically a lottery.
That's weird, well, I'll buy my first year in 3 month codes and go from there, it's a bit more expensive but whatever

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
My last couple years of Gamepass expired yesterday so I just did this trick again. Decided not to bother with the VPN stuff and stuck to Global or US codes from CDKeys and Eneba. Ended up paying about $110 for 3 years and everything activated just fine!

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
My last couple years of Gamepass expired yesterday so I just did this trick again. Decided not to bother with the VPN stuff and stuck to Global or US codes from CDKeys and Eneba. Ended up paying about $110 for 3 years and everything activated just fine!

Dang 110? Cdkeys has 3 years of gold for 170ish. How did you get it so low?

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
Dang 110? Cdkeys has 3 years of gold for 170ish. How did you get it so low?

On CDKeys they've got 3 month codes going for $9.69 each. I was able to get 2 per transaction, and did multiple transactions. I got 11 of those. ($106.59 for all that) For 2 of the codes Microsoft offered me the free month if I turned recurring on. Then I got a 1 month ultimate code from Eneba for $3ish. That put it on ultimate through 3/30/26.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They must have changed Turkey to max 1 year. I bought 3 years of Turkey gold. I redeemed one. I tried to redeem the 2nd but it says I have reached the limit of how far you can extend a subscription. I have only 1 year (the 1 I redeemed). It has now been 27 hours and I am still getting the same message.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
On CDKeys they've got 3 month codes going for $9.69 each. I was able to get 2 per transaction, and did multiple transactions. I got 11 of those. ($106.59 for all that) For 2 of the codes Microsoft offered me the free month if I turned recurring on. Then I got a 1 month ultimate code from Eneba for $3ish. That put it on ultimate through 3/30/26.

Excellent minmaxing mate 😎

I'll have to update the FAQ to mention watching out for those $10~ 3 month deals from Eneba or CDKeys on occasion. They generally don't last very long.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They must have changed Turkey to max 1 year. I bought 3 years of Turkey gold. I redeemed one. I tried to redeem the 2nd but it says I have reached the limit of how far you can extend a subscription. I have only 1 year (the 1 I redeemed). It has now been 27 hours and I am still getting the same message.

That happened to me even though I bought UK cards and registered them in the UK. The website gave that error every time but the Xbox app in Windows let me redeem them fine.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I know some people on the last page were wondering if the cheap 1-month non-stackable GPU codes will work to convert from Gold and I can confirm: Yes, they do. Just loaded up on three years and I converted with a $3 non-stackable code from Eneba.

I did the same. Used 170K of my MS rewards to get just shy of 3 years gold and then went onto Eneba and got a £3 code for 1 month GPU.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Locked up till April 1 2026 now...hopefully nothing bad as far as structure changes with the service by then lol.

Crazy that I'm on my third three year lock in with GP/GPU:
2017 - jumped on the launch deal for regular Game Pass
2020 - did the three year stack $1 conversion
2023 - did the three year stack $4 conversion

Hopefully a bunch of first party stuff comes out in the next three years. I blasted through a ton of Xbox/PC first party from the 360/One era due to GPU so looking forward to more!

I think the only way to tell is whatever from the item description/listing says wherever you buy it. Generally, if a code is only for NEW subscribers, you bet that's going to be mentioned in the listing. Otherwise, I believe the free game pass that comes with new console purchases is only for new accounts. It should be one of those entitlements that come directly with console and you have to redeem it through the console. There are other new subscriber only promos (like from Discord Nitro) that'll mention it in its terms and conditions too. Either way, both types of non-stackable codes have expiration dates I think, so it's best to buy and use them when you need instead of holding it (see the April 30th expiration for the non-stackable codes at Eneba)
Can confirm this works, did this literally a few hours ago. Stacked up then converted over with a $4 CAD non-stackable from Eneba.

Told you I'd be back lol!
Yep, same here, seems like this is still good to go.
Last time I got the same as your friend, stacking three month codes then getting a free month per. Didn't get the option this time - though it is my third time doing it lol.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Locked up till April 1 2026 now...hopefully nothing bad as far as structure changes with the service by then lol.

Crazy that I'm on my third three year lock in with GP/GPU:
2017 - jumped on the launch deal for regular Game Pass
2020 - did the three year stack $1 conversion
2023 - did the three year stack $4 conversion

Hopefully a bunch of first party stuff comes out in the next three years. I blasted through a ton of Xbox/PC first party from the 360/One era due to GPU so looking forward to more!

Can confirm this works, did this literally a few hours ago. Stacked up then converted over with a $4 CAD non-stackable from Eneba.

Told you I'd be back lol!

Yep, same here, seems like this is still good to go.

Last time I got the same as your friend, stacking three month codes then getting a free month per. Didn't get the option this time - though it is my third time doing it lol.

POGGERS

Glad more people are using the cheap non-stackable codes and confirming it works! 😎 I'll update the first post.

EDIT: I have tidied up the first page a bit. Can anyone else confirm if the first page feels a bit laggier because of the SPOILER tags I used to clean it up?

Last edited:

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So its been 2 days now and I still cant redeem the second code. I have tried to redeem via MS store, browser and xbox app, all give me the same error "You've reached the limit of how far you can extend a subscription. Try again later at a later date.". I only have 1 year redeemed so I should have room for at least another year (or 2) to get to the 3 year limit. So I am not sure if I am unlucky or they lowered Turkey to 1 year max.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
So its been 2 days now and I still cant redeem the second code. I have tried to redeem via MS store, browser and xbox app, all give me the same error "You've reached the limit of how far you can extend a subscription. Try again later at a later date.". I only have 1 year redeemed so I should have room for at least another year (or 2) to get to the 3 year limit. So I am not sure if I am unlucky or they lowered Turkey to 1 year max.

I am in the process with microsoft customer service trying to find if they can lift the restrictions but so far it is getting nowhere. They wanted proof of code which makes me doubtful of them doing anything…

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Did they say there is only a 1 year limit to redeem? Let me know how it goes, I was debating opening a ticket.

They said nothing about that. I am with the scandinavian xbox customer service but I am not expecting much results from this. You should also try on your end to open a ticket.

I fear the best we can do is wait for it to expire in a year to use another code…

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
Still works. I did everything in the browser (MS account page), not the Xbox App.

3 + 1 recurring billing -> 8.8.23
3 -> 8.11.23
3 -> 8.2.24
3 -> 8.5.24
-----------
3 -> 8.8.24
3 -> 8.11.24
3 -> 8.2.25
3 -> 8.5.25
-----------
3 -> 8.8.25
3 -> 8.11.25
1 GPU -> 9.12.25

I bought 2.5 years of Xbox Live Gold and 1 GamePass Ultimate non-stackable code. The first time I got a free month for recurring billing and the Ultimate code also added 1 month.
So maybe keep that in mind to not go over the 3 years limit?

After the first code I got an error:

PUR-CatalogAvailabilityDataNotFound

I'm not sure if the solution was to try multiple times or if it was related to the recurring billing. What I did was re-enable recurring billing for the rest of the codes.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Still works. I did everything in the browser (MS account page), not the Xbox App.

3 + 1 recurring billing -> 8.8.23
3 -> 8.11.23
3 -> 8.2.24
3 -> 8.5.24
-----------
3 -> 8.8.24
3 -> 8.11.24
3 -> 8.2.25
3 -> 8.5.25
-----------
3 -> 8.8.25
3 -> 8.11.25
1 GPU -> 9.12.25

I bought 2.5 years of Xbox Live Gold and 1 GamePass Ultimate non-stackable code. The first time I got a free month for recurring billing and the Ultimate code also added 1 month.
So maybe keep that in mind to not go over the 3 years limit?

After the first code I got an error:

PUR-CatalogAvailabilityDataNotFound

I'm not sure if the solution was to try multiple times or if it was related to the recurring billing. What I did was re-enable recurring billing for the rest of the codes.

POGGERS

That's an interesting error. When you say you re-enabled recurring billing for the rest of the codes, I'm guessing you turned it off after the first code and then turned it on and left it, right? That's quite interesting if that's how they limit the free months from redeeming codes.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
POGGERS

That's an interesting error. When you say you re-enabled recurring billing for the rest of the codes, I'm guessing you turned it off after the first code and then turned it on and left it, right? That's quite interesting if that's how they limit the free months from redeeming codes.
It was more like:
redeem code -> activate recurring billing for 1 free month -> deactivate billing -> next code -> error -> some more tries -> activate billing again -> no error -> next code -> next code -> deactivate billing again -> next code still working.

So at one point I disabled recurring billing and it still worked. That's why I don't know if it was related to that or that it fixed itself with enough tries.

ThisIsPrfct

Jun 9, 2019
Argentinian and Turkey accounts now can't stack more than one year of xbox live before converting to game pass. Another win for you cheap bastards that have taken away something good from poor countries to save some dollars, I'm tired of reporting people buying cheap codes on this and every other thread, now the damage is done. So many things were taken away from us that were previously good, Diablo IV now costs more than half my salary and more and more companies are taking regional prices away... but you keep thinking you're not making damage and nobody cares while defending every other single cause, hipocrites. Everything is good as long as you can get your games/sub for cheap.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Argentinian and Turkey accounts now can't stack more than one year of xbox live before converting to game pass. Another win for you cheap bastards that have taken away something good from poor countries to save some dollars, I'm tired of reporting people buying cheap codes on this and every other thread, now the damage is done. So many things were taken away from us that were previously good, Diablo IV now costs more than half my salary and more and more companies are taking regional prices away... but you keep thinking you're not making damage and nobody cares while defending every other single cause, hipocrites. Everything is good as long as you can get your games/sub for cheap.

Oof, it's a damn shame the people of Argentina and Turkey have to pay the price for this. Thank you for the update.

I did some searching to see if anyone else had issues other than the two posters above and it's been a very recent development.

I will be holding a special "giveaway" (more like an offer) later in light of this news.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I wonder if that's a change that will be implemented everywhere (only 1 year of stacking) soon enough.