• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does the default gender for characters with multiple gender options matter to you?

• Yes, & more devs should make an effort to promote diversity through the default designs.

Votes: 294 21.0%
  • Yes, but I'm fine with whatever as long as they give me the option to make the character I want.

Votes: 160 11.4%
  • No, default genders don't really matter in the long-run.

Votes: 945 67.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I get more annoyed that most of these games with playable MCs make the male and female version the same character with little to no changes and it usually leads to one or the other simply being left out of other major media appearances. I will always just prefer making them separate characters all together. Pokémon at least was on the right track for once by making the MC you don't choose become the NPC rival character.

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to vote. Like, it doesn't really matter to me at all but it would still be nice if devs got more diverse (even if just for the sake of box art diversity).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't know what to vote. Like, it doesn't really matter to me at all but it would still be nice if devs got more diverse (even if just for the sake of box art diversity).
You'd fall more into the second option (you care about diversity through defaults, but you personally are cool with whatever as long as you have the option).

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Would be nice if Smash offered the option to choose which version of each character would be displayed as the default on the select screen. In addition to setting gender preference, it could also let alt colors take the lead and other alt costume characters like Alph, the Koopalings and the older DQ heroes.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
While this doesn't bother me one bit, I would think it was cool it on the character screen, it was random. They almost always have a random button on these character create screens anyway. Would be cool to see how it would be different for every single person.