• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note: Please bear in mind to not just port-beg in this thread. This isn't about whether or not you want Persona 5 on Switch (if you are posting in this thread, chances are high you do want it). Don't just post that you do, and move on. Rather, this is more a thread to try and discuss the likelihood of Persona 5 on Switch happening, and whether or not the announcement of Joker in Smash last night makes it any likelier that it may be inbound.

With that out of the way...

--

The question of whether or not Persona 5 will hit Switch has been a pretty common one. Persona 5 is one of the most requested Switch ports, and there have been enough reasons to believe it will happen- Atlus is incredibly close with Nintendo, every Persona game to date has had a portable release (and Switch is the only portable on the market now), Atlus likes re-releasing expanded versions of their games... On the other hand, the historic separation of Persona from Nintendo on Atlus' part has been enough to suggest that it might not happen too.

The Persona 5 Smash Bros. announcement from last night does change things a bit, though. You have to imagine Nintendo, who are the ones who are deciding on the DLC characters for Smash, aren't going to necessarily pick characters who aren't beneficial to them from a business perspective. Yes, Joker as DLC will sell a lot, but he stands to advertise an exclusive on a competing console, and Nintendo doesn't gain much there. My personal opinion is that Joker's inclusion in Smash is a bit like Cloud's- at the time a character from a game that has historically been exclusive only to PlayStation, with lots of cross media promotion by PlayStation, and no history with Nintendo, but followed afterwards by the announcement of said game coming to Switch. I think Persona 5 in some form (either a straight port- unlikely, since Atlus doesn't do those much; or an expanded re-release) is coming to the Switch, and this is a portend of that announcement to come (I assume said announcement will be in April at the Persona Super Live concert, which is where Atlus has historically announced Persona projects for the last few years now).

What do you think, however? Do you think the Joker in Smash announcement could indicate that Persona on Switch is now likely? Where there is smoke, there is fire?

Deleted member 19782

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope so, but not the current version. They could make a Persona 5 Portable (Get it?) with new content.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, absolutely.

The biggest indicator, at least for me, was that they anounced it as Smash x Persona 5, no Smash x Persona Q2/SMT/whetever.

I wouldnt be surprised if they shadow drop it after the concert in April.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Persona 5 Crimson on Switch. Seems like a no brainer. Especially since it doesn't look like Sony is gonna put out another handheld.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Just make P5 Money Bags Edition for switch and we're set. I'd imagine P3P and P4G sold well enough to justify more portable Persona. With Vita all but dead, nowhere to go but switch.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I would be happy with a Switch port. The game was on the PS3 so the Switch should be able to handle it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I thought this was actually the main reason Joker's coming to Smash. Because they'll announce a port in a few months.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it does. There'll be an inevitable updated version of Persona 5 just like every other Persona game, potentially releasing next year. One reason to justify it would be a port to a platform it hasn't been on before. The Switch is the only viable handheld left for a release by Atlus after Catherine: Full Body comes out, and those other Persona remakes were all on handhelds, too.

As the OP states, Atlus has a Persona event in April 2019 where they'll certainly be announcing new Persona games. Considering the Smash Ultimate DLC schedule, April will probably be around the time Joker is released for Smash. It would be good synergy.

It doesn't make a Switch port inevitable. It could just be an Atlus rep. and Persona 5 being the one chosen because Sakurai loves the game, PQ2 exists for the 3DS, and Joker is in the spotlight when it comes to Atlus now.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I feel like P5 Crimson has to release just because Vita is pretty much dead and Atlus likes to release a portable version of Persona after a while.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The timing of the DLC 1 release would coincide with the Persona Event so I am going to say yes.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expected they show P5 Switch after Joker announcement actually. It was weird to me Atlus didn't want to announce the game right there

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope it would be this...
220px-PersonaQ2newcinemalabyrinth.jpg

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I think the chances are high.

Many reasons pointing to it and one (not so strong) reason pointing against it (Cloud on Smash 4).
But any side is right until it's wrong.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I do think people are missing that Q2 just came out in Japan, but also the rumor of a Switch port seems reasonable enough, sure.

I don't think I'd replay it anytime soonwhen if I ever returned to it, it would make way more sense to NG+ for a Plat and see everything I missed that way.

But I hope...
they change Akechi's story to not be unsatisfying as fuck

because that really hurt my enjoyment of it, especially having been spoiled for some of the bigger twists way in advance.

Also changing the combat/resistances/whatever to not be phys/crit city by the end would be cool. I had basically unlimited SP due to using the patch accessories the whole game and yet at the end it didn't even matter cause spells were almost worthless.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Very much so I would say.

P3P and P4G sold as much or more than their console counterparts. People really like portable Persona games with extra content/upgrades so I always felt it was inevitable given that the Switch is the only capable portable system on the market now with how old the Vita is and no successor system from Sony anywhere on the horizon. Plus with its strong sales at home and abroad it's hard to pass up as is.

It's major money left on the table for Atlus, regardless of the quasi system exclusivity they've maintained for their IPs of late.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Persona 5 is the most popular of the Persona series.

Nintendo wants to court those fanbase into buying a Switch and Smash.

Therefore Nintendo gets a Persona 5 character onto Smash in hopes of luring suckers like myself into buying a Switch at last.

Sometimes there is no conspiracy.

Apr 21, 2018
I would typically say yes but isn't there something weird about Atlus history with exclusives? Like, they don't normally port their games do they?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think it's likely to come. For all the reasons you mentioned, I already felt like it was likely to come eventually, before this announcement. Now it just feels like an inevitability :P

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a matter of if anymore, it's just a matter of when. Would be absolutely bizarre to include him if P5 wasn't on the horizon at some point.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be one of the only Persona games to not receive a "portable" version, so it'd be kind of odd for this not to happen eventually.

We all know Atlus is weird with putting self-restrictions on their games by making them exclusive, but I doubt that's going to be the case forever. Persona on Switch just makes sense.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but there's still a chance Atlus' entry price exclusive is either Persona Q2 or SMTV.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
There was quite a bit of work that went into producing a DLC trailer and it was the last big announcement of the night. Both speak to Nintendo prioritizing this cross-over. I highly doubt it starts and ends with just Joker in Smash. Obviously it could be there's other future P5 content to be released on Switch later, but given this new development and the rumors that've been floating around, feels like a P5 port is the next step.

EDIT: For those using the Snake example, MGS had several appearances on Nintendo consoles when he appeared in Brawl back in 2008. His inclusion in Ultimate wouldn't mean anything because he was already in Brawl.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd still assume it was gonna happen eventually regardless of this. Sony doesn't own Persona in any way and the Vita isnt getting a successor any time soon, so why wouldnt it go to Switch?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
If Nintendo really did make determinations about which characters should be DLC, and Sakurai simply agreed to them, then that screams cross-promo to me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I want it to head to Switch but I also want 'em to give it the full P3P/Golden treatment, with changed up elements and additional content. Giving us more freedom, and maybe having a bigger gap between recruiting Haru and the rest of the drama, would be more than enough

If they do that though I can see it launching in late 2019, in Japan.

Also history doesn't mean much when Sony doesn't have a modern handheld out. If Atlus wants it portable, it's heading to Switch.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Nope, people are looking for patterns when there are none. Atlus never ports their games. P4G is still trapped on the Vita for example.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I would say it's now definitely more likely, but there's enough wiggle room that it's not a stone cold guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.