• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
This news didn't get too much traction on account of the circumstances of the weekend and MS itself including it in the Original Xbox title announcements, but I think this is a pretty cool feature they're implementing for BC on Xbox One X. Original Xbox games will get, similar to PS2 classics on PS4, a 8x resolution upgrade (480p -> 960p) on the standard Xbox One, but will also get a 16x resolution boost on the Xbox One X (480p -> 1920p). It works great so far; I tied out Ninja Gaiden Black on the S and it cleans up really well.

Also announced, and much more surprising, was how select 360 games will get a 9x boost to their base resolution on the X. So if a game ran at 720p on the 360 it would then display at a full 4k resolution of 2160p and a couple other bonuses on the X detailed below.

When the world's most powerful console launches on Nov. 7, you will be able to run select Xbox 360 games at higher resolution, 9X the original pixel count, and expanded color details. The team developed the Heutchy Method (after the engineer who created it) which leverages the power of Xbox One X to let the Xbox 360 emulator present the very best version of the game possible with the existing assets—all without touching the game code. The same method improves the graphics for Original Xbox games on Xbox One and Xbox One S.

Here are the Xbox 360 games that will join the Xbox One X Enhanced catalog on Nov. 7.

Assassin's Creed
Fallout 3
Halo 3
Oblivion

Actual videos are linked below for the example game given, Halo 3 at 1920p (640p original resolution), but I also grabbed some comparison screens as well. Video is definitely the best way to see the difference though, screens came out a bit blurrier than the original source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX3NYmzr2ZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6dBsKjHPf4

xb360-1flkp2.png

xb1x-1agkgn.png

xb360-2u6k9g.png

xb1x-2wljoh.png

Original Xbox vs Xbox One S
KOTOR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1kDabyaw5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce70EUmeGJI

Fuzion Frenzy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaDe1nVY_6g

We don't know how many 360 games are going to get this update but if it was going to be a larger pool you would have figured MS would have made a bigger deal about it so I imagine it's going to be a small selection. Who knows if we'll see the likes of Nuts and Bolts, Red Dead or the Mass Effect trilogy but just the idea that we could is a bit exciting. Regardless of the final number of 360 titles supported it's impressive what the BC team has pulled off. The fact that we're getting "pseudo" free remasters of Original Xbox games, that in all likelihood would never be touched again, is a pretty big plus for me.

Not that I expect anyone to drop everything and run out to grab an X for this feature but I was curious what impact, if any, it had on people? It does curb my interest in remasters in cases where it's a straight port; I would obviously prefer to use my existing copy of a game or pick up one on the cheap.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's actually one of the most appealing things about it to me, yeah.

The idea of Ninja Gaiden Black, Red Dead Redemption, potentially Ninja Gaiden 2, etc, in 4k is extremely appealing to me.

I don't know if it's enough to actually push me to get one since I have an S already....but it's the biggest thing pulling me towards it right now.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Having seen the IQ in Ninja Gaiden Black even just on standard XB1, I definitely am (even as a 1080p display owner). Considering the standardized downsampling for the 1X titles, and how the 16xAF already makes texture detail stand out like these games have never had, it's not a small difference. I can't say I can recall a better emulation experience, out-of-the-box. You could tell me this was a remaster, and I'd have believed you.

Also, those Youtube screen-caps don't seem to convey the clarity difference shown in the video itself, let alone in person.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely appealing. The Xbox ecosystem is becoming very PC-like in the best of ways. Microsoft is kicking Sony's ass on this front, and I feel way more confident buying digital on Xbox vs buying digital on PlayStation when looking into the future.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Strangely, yes. I'm primarily a PC person, so any XB1 games I'll end up playing on PC. But playing my old Xbox and Xbox 360 library? That's something I'd need an Xbox to do. I could see myself going for it when the enhanced Xbox 360 library expands.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Having seen the IQ in Ninja Gaiden Black even just on standard XB1, I definitely am (even as a 1080p display owner). Considering the standardized downsampling for the 1X titles, and how the 16xAF already makes texture detail stand out like these games have never had, it's not a small difference. I can't say I can recall a better emulation experience, out-of-the-box. You could tell me this was a remaster, and I'd have believed you.

Also, those Youtube screen-caps don't seem to convey the clarity difference shown in the video itself, let alone in person.

It's better when you open them to full size but yeah, the video is much better. Highlights how improved the edges and fine details are.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO BC is about the only thing MS has done really well this gen.

It really is an incredible achievement.

Agreed, MS has done a commendable job at making sure our libraries don't die and it stands out even more because Sony hasn't done much on that front.

Would sure love RDR as a supported title.

Does it impact my opinion about XB1X, regarding getting it? Not really. I was going to get it regardless but it sure is a nice thing to check off. Unfortunately I won't be getting one until early next year.

Last edited:

MagicPhone

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I swear I read something a few weeks ago about them going back and "making good" on Halo MCC. I wonder if it involves updating for 4k like this? That'd be nice.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Not really. Its nice and MS are serving its customers well, but i dont really see it as that important.

On the other hand, most of the games i care about on OG xbox for example already run at higher resolutions on the 360 i own compared to the OG Xbox. Ninja gaiden, DOA ultimate, halo 2 ect. And if you were to compare them running natively on OG xbox using component cables versus 360, its like a night and day difference, so maybe this is an even bigger jump? But i always feel like once you get past SD, even if its still sub HD, every other res boost is just less impressive than that first one.

Last edited:

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is really nice to be able to play multiple generations on the same machine, especially when the titles look better.

I was already getting an X and when I heard of this capability it was just icing on the cake.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I'll be honest, the resolution bump is nice and support for BC titles is outstanding work! But even then it's hard to justify an Xbox One X purchase, even as someone who primarily games and buys multiplat titles on an Xbox One S.

Still, I think it's great what the 1X is capable of. I can't wait to see the next iterative Xbox.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What 360 games will get a boost? If it's just Halo I don't think I care... But if it's Red Dead this could be a system selling feature.

David Walden

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, with a few exception I probably won't play any of these outside of testing purposes but the idea of this sure gets me excited.

Fallen92

Oct 26, 2017
California
It at least justifies a purchase from me further down the line once I have a proper 4K setup and once the price has gone down. I already have an S model and it'll be more than enough to hold me over until then. I think what Microsoft is doing with its backwards compatibility is amazing though, specially when you compare it to the horrendous emulation the 360 had. I wish Sony had done this with its PS2 games on PS4 instead of having us pay for the game all over again because they added some trophies. Depending on how many games are eventually added I may just retire my OG Xbox and 360 entirely.

GriffinCorp

Oct 25, 2017
Yes for me. I love being able to play 3 generations of games on one console. It how it sure have been from start.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely appealing. The Xbox ecosystem is becoming very PC-like in the best of ways. Microsoft is kicking Sony's ass on this front, and I feel way more confident buying digital on Xbox vs buying digital on PlayStation when looking into the future.

What he said. I wish Sony would take a leaf from Microsoft's book on this front.

I would have been satisfied with just straight 1:1 BC but Microsoft have gone the extra mile by constantly improving it. This commitment to BC keeps me in their ecosystem when I otherwise would have left it and gives me the confidence to build a digital games collection with them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's fantastic support by Microsoft. I really like what their doing with BC. I missed a few games that I now think are absolute gems like Dead Space. It makes me comfortable to keep buying into the Xbox ecosystem. Be good to your customers, go the extra mile and the obvious happens.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I want one for this, but not immediately.

I am very interested in BC 10bit colour and HDR. Blue Dragon has a lot of colour banding so I hope for an update. I'll pick one up alongside an HDR monitor when they become affordable etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Strangely, yes. I'm primarily a PC person, so any XB1 games I'll end up playing on PC. But playing my old Xbox and Xbox 360 library? That's something I'd need an Xbox to do. I could see myself going for it when the enhanced Xbox 360 library expands.

Microsoft says they'll be bringing OG XBox BC to Windows 10 eventually (most likely with the Spring 2018 catalog update). As for 360 BC on PC, they've shown interest in it, but not much else. Hopefully someday they'll have three gens of XBox on PC, cause that would be sweet!

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, MS has done a commendable job at making sure our libraries don't die and it stands out even more because Sony hasn't done much on that front.

I'm really curious how Sony's and MS' publishing/platform contracts differ. Even when Sony do support BC, there are always weird,(sometimes regional, sometime hardware specific) limitations to what they seem able to release. Whereas MS seem able to just re-release whatever has previously been on their platforms. It could be just a matter of money I suppose.

Earlier this gen, I was actually expecting something like this OG XBox enhanced BC for the PSX games on PS4.
I have heaps, but find it really hard going that far back in graphics, tech, controls. Enhanced BC with no wobbly textures would actually make PSX games on a PS4 Pro w/ 4K TV much more sensible.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Its going to give me more titles to play that I missed out on, or titles that I don't feel like bringing out my PS2 for (Black). Looking forward to playing older games on a newer controller.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
it's one of the most appealing features for sure

would be amazing if they could get RDR and the Mass Effect trilogy updated

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm really curious how Sony's and MS' publishing/platform contracts differ. Even when Sony do support BC, there are always weird,(sometimes regional, sometime hardware specific) limitations to what they seem able to release. Whereas MS seem able to just re-release whatever has previously been on their platforms. It could be just a matter of money I suppose.

Earlier this gen, I was actually expecting something like this OG XBox enhanced BC for the PSX games on PS4.
I have heaps, but find it really hard going that far back in graphics, tech, controls. Enhanced BC with no wobbly textures would actually make PSX games on a PS4 Pro w/ 4K TV much more sensible.

It's largely because there is no PS3 BC, and PS2 BC has the trophy requirement, which adds 2-3 months of dev time and essentially produces a port.

Microsoft doesn't require achievements for OG Xbox (and 360 games obviously already have achievements), and BC for both systems doesn't require ANY devtime on the publisher/developer's part. Microsoft does all the heavy lifting.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I actually wonder, and would have to check, but would the updated anisotropic filtering for something like Halo 3 actually make playing the 360 game on xbox one or xbox one x actually looked better than the MCC version? Obviously framerate would be locked to 30 as opposed to 60, but if I remember correctly the MCC did not make any updates besides resolution and fps.

Also, first post on this forum. Feels good to be back.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I actually wonder, and would have to check, but would the updated anisotropic filtering for something like Halo 3 actually make playing the 360 game on xbox one or xbox one x actually looked better than the MCC version? Obviously framerate would be locked to 30 as opposed to 60, but if I remember correctly the MCC did not make any updates besides resolution and fps.

Also, first post on this forum. Feels good to be back.

Xbox One games get the 16x AF by default too on the X so MCC especially once patched for 4K will still be better.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What he said. I wish Sony would take a leaf from Microsoft's book on this front.

I would have been satisfied with just straight 1:1 BC but Microsoft have gone the extra mile by constantly improving it. This commitment to BC keeps me in their ecosystem when I otherwise would have left it and gives me the confidence to build a digital games collection with them.

I dont even think Sony can really do what MS have done at all given how MS does things versus how Sony does things. MS benefits from a PC like architecture across all their previous gen consoles and a standardized programming language in addition to direct X and a higher level abstraction layer.

Sony has always changed their architecture completely from gen to gen and use low level programming, primarily to get the most of their hardware, but its a big roadblock to BC every time. Cell and the SPU's are only the latest example. It also doesnt help that they want to standardize certain features like trophy support, which is further work for devs.

If PS5 is to get PS4 BC, it'll be the easiest gen to gen transition for them to have attempted BC since they have been in the business, just due to the architecture similarities they will have and the similar tools they will be using.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
I feel like just the mere fact that Microsoft is actively trying to preserve their games by making as many of them as they can playable on current (and future, i'd imagine) Xbox consoles, complete with support for the original discs, is far more important.

The fact you can play a limited set of them in higher resolutions (Before even unofficial emulators have managed to do it.) is just icing on the cake.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like just the mere fact that Microsoft is actively trying to preserve their games by making as many of them as they can playable on current (and future, i'd imagine) Xbox consoles, complete with support for the original discs, is far more important.

The fact you can play a limited set of them in higher resolutions (Before even unofficial emulators have managed to do it.) is just icing on the cake.

Agreed. I bought Ninja Gaiden Black yesterday and while there is basically zero chance that I will complete the game, I'm delighted with the BC program just from a game preservation standpoint.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally, no. It'll be cool for OG Xbox games (Ninja Gaiden Black at 4K!) and 360 exclusives like Halo 3, but I can already play a lot of the OG Xbox games they announced for BC on PC at 4K, and same goes for Fallout 3, Oblivion, and AssCreed. As for Halo 3, it's presumably still running at 30 fps, and the MCC version runs at 60 - and MCC games will likely be getting 4K updates, so it seems like more of a novelty and a bonus for diehard fans of the original release moreso than anything else.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the stuff they are doing with BC is awesome, it doesn't personally get me excited enough to want to buy the console however. I know it's technically challenging but it would be amazing if they could get suspend/resume working with BC games

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
The games look pristine. It's incredible the impact higher resolutions have on texture quality, especially in the distance. And the overall sharpness and clarity speaks for itself.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
I currently have no interest in getting an Xbox One X since I already have a Switch and PS4 Pro, but if they got Burnout Takedown & Revenge working with those upgrades, they'd get $500 from me instantly.

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
It's a great feature for sure, and hope they keep at it and "force" the other two to implement a similar one.

But it's a bit late in this generation to start investing in a new console, but if is brought to the next Xbox too I'll be very tempted

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, because I find the added lag makes the games unplayable to me. Unless they fixed that. When I tried to play Black Ops, it was just way to unresponsive.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I cannot wait to play NGB come release on the X, I'm looking forward to that the most :0

munancho

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man if they make Outrun 2 and Outrun 2006 from the OGXB run like this on the One I'll buy it in an instant.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I love what MS is doing with libraries. When you buy a new phone, you don't have to rebuy all your apps and games, they move with you. Same thing with a PC and Steam. That's how consoles should be and it's great that MS recognizes that. I had NG Black digitally on the 360 and it was cool to see it just appear ready to install on my Xbox One.

It doesn't change my opinion on the X at all, as I already had bought one. But it does make me trust MS even more that my library will go forward in the future.

IGN even had an article about how MS made a white paper for devs on how to future proof their games that they are making now in order to make it easier for them to be playable on future hardware.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a big library of OG Xbox emulation would change my opinion about it. I just dont want to wait until MS selects the games for me, I wanna be able to pop in a random Xbox disc and play, cuz I have a few niche games I dont expect MS to ever support.