• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
So there's this character called Pandora's actor who dresses in a nazi uniform and has nazi mannerisms and the Overlord character- Pandora's creator- said he made Pandora because he thought he was cool and his uniform was cool.

Does the author have some fascination with nazis? What's with the weird love some Japanese weebs have for aryan and white supremacy?

As far as I can tell, the main character was a gamers rise up weeb before he got stuck in the Overlord world.

Am I mistaken about this? Is the author just trying to make a weird main character? Is the main character a self insert for the author? Tried looking it up. Didn't see anything about it.

Overlord-Anime-Character-Pandoras-Actor_Haruhichan.com_.jpg

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
There is definitely some love for Nazi uniforms and other Nazi stuff going on in a lot of anime. It's always thinly veiled but as a casual anime fan it's off putting.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't ainz embarrassed as fuck of the way Pandora's actor looks and acts, said he thought it looked cool at the time when it was a game but no regrets it?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
There are certainly a few anime that have fetishized nazi imagery... I haven't watched overlord so I can't comment on that specifically. It's problematic as hell, but it's rarely outright "nazis are good y'all, they're just misunderstood".

Just to be 100% clear, it's still very gross and very off putting. About the only thing with that kind of stuff I've actually sat through was the second arc of Jojo and it got a LOT of side glares from me. Everything else? Nah... I don't have time for that nazi shit.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Nazi aesthetic being seen as cool is a thing in Japan and other parts of Asia.

For Overlord in particular the backstory is that Ainz made Pandora's Actor when he was going through a phase when he was younger and thought that kind of aesthetic looked cool. Now that he's older he's completely embarrassed by Pandora's Actor and how he ever thought that stuff was cool and initially tried to hide him away in the treasury so no one would see him. He's slowly started to warm up to him because Pandora's Actor is actually really smart and useful.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pandora's Actor is clearly portrayed as a construct who Ainz is clearly embarrassed by as he was made during the guy's 'edgy' phase, and is basically a joke half the time. Ainz even tells him to never speak German, and to tone down the ham and cheese.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nazi aesthetic being seen as cool is a thing in Japan and other parts of Asia.

For Overlord in particular the backstory is that Ainz made Pandora's Actor when he was going through a phase when he was younger and thought that kind of aesthetic looked cool. Now that he's older he's completely embarrassed by Pandora's Actor and hwo he ever thought that stuff was cool and initially tried to hide him away in the treasury so no one would see him. He's slowly started to warm up to him because Pandora's Actor is actually really smart and useful.
Came to post this, yeah main character acknowledges it was edgelord as fuck

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
This is the scene where he says that his clothes are still cool but dislikes his flamboyant mannerisms.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Never watched this anime but "Ainz" is the protag's name? Something is up with that name but I can't figure it out. Ainz....Ainz...NOPE, CAN'T PUT MY FINGER ON IT

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Opened the thread really worried that something horrible had come out about the author. I'm so glad it's just talking about Pandora's Actor lol

Speaking from a fashion enthusiast perspective, there are a lot of elements in the Nazi uniform that are well liked in Japan on a general level . This being completely disconnected from the uniform or its history. Imo it's easy to see how an edgelord teen would think the Nazi uniform as a whole is dope and I appreciated the way they addressed it

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Never watched this anime but "Ainz" is the protag's name? Something is up with that name but I can't figure it out. Ainz....Ainz...NOPE, CAN'T PUT MY FINGER ON IT
MC took on the name of his guild Ainz Ooal Gown(his real character name is Momonga) in the hopes that he wasn't the only one of his guild sent to this world and wanted to use it to get in contact with his old guild mates

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Nazi aesthetics is definitely a thing. But so is Christianity and Japan's hardly Christian.

I don't think Japan thinks too much about the stuff behind these things, just whether or not the designs look appealing to them.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
As far as I can tell, at least in the anime, the main character seems like a pretty normal person, at least from the way he self-monologues about stuff.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Nazi aesthetics is definitely a thing. But so is Christianity and Japan's hardly Christian.

I don't think Japan thinks too much about the stuff behind these things, just whether or not the designs look appealing to them.
Which, I think we can all agree, is still pretty problematic.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Which, I think we can all agree, is still pretty problematic.
Probably. I would put it in the same category as people who fetishize Confederate aesthetics in the US.

But talking about Japan and WW2, I'd rather they deal with the whole comfort women issues first, which they still refuse to do.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You could make the same post about Star Wars, Killzone, Hellboy and the billion of other media that steals the Nazi look for their characters.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
MC took on the name of his guild Ainz Ooal Gown(his real character name is Momonga) in the hopes that he wasn't the only one of his guild sent to this world and wanted to use it to get in contact with his old guild mates
And the clan was originally called Nine's Own Goal for the original nine members but changed it to Ainz Ooal Gowl(rearranged the letters) when they became a full fledged guild.

If you were completely literal with the translation you would call him Ainzu(pronounced Ainz). Many translators have also used Ains instead. Ainz is closer to the literal translation so fan translators always use that.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

They definitely do, and I think I seen more Christians in anime than I have in cartoons. Take Fate for example:
latest
latest
latest

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
You could make the same post about Star Wars, Killzone, Hellboy and the billion of other media that steals the Nazi look for their characters.
There's certainly that too.

Also the whole Hail Hydra meme I think.

Although now that I'm thinking about it some more, if this was reversed, we'd probably be talking about cultural appropriation instead.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, nazi uniforms are commonly used as an aesthetic inspiration for 'evil military' uniforms, because, well, as much as I hate to say this, they certainly knew how to look good in military uniforms, and if you want to give the impression of a slick operation, you make the characters dress the part.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hugo boss was like a buff of +10 to nazi propaganda because of how striking the designs and styles were

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that also what the Impel Down uniforms in One Piece are based off?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Also it should be said that the guild were all about role playing as evil villains in the game. Creating an NPC that looks like a nazi would fit with that lol.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I mean, I must say I thought Kroenen in Hellboy 1 was a pretty dope design. Doesn't mean I'm into what it stands for though.
ladislav-beran-as-karl-ruprecht-kroenen-in-e1499141826801.jpg

It's more of a problem that in ep1 of Overlord our main character uses his new found abilities to grope a woman's breasts...but that's another discussion.

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you calling japanese characters and actual real japanese people weebs? Do you know what the pejorative means? I think you should start learning your insults before throwing them around

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anime and manga have a profoundly unhealthy obsession with these uniforms for Nazi's and yeah, as above, weird religious garbs that are basically nazi uniforms.

It's weird, but it's not inherently fetishistic, they just like the aesthetic design and when they need a blanket "military uniform" for a character it's usually stylized after the SS officers uniform because it's easily recognizable as "military".

People think the Nazi's aesthetic was "badass" when in reality it was just a rote bastardization of common European military uniforms and meant to inspire fear and repress individuality within society but lets not talk about that part.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watch a lot of gundam and the Zeon faction clearly takes some inspiration from them as well as other notable anime series. It's something worth looking into the history of and asking artists what they like about it, but I dont find it particularly suspect in most cases as the ideologies arent normally present in a positive way in anime.

What's with the weird love some Japanese weebs have for aryan and white supremacy?

Liking the uniform/aesthetic of the nazi/ SS is not the same as liking nazis/the ideology.

But yeah it's undoubtedly the inspiration in that design you posted. I think the appeal is to design a military character who's clearly capable and dangerous but with some of the flair that other modern military factions lack. Still these aspects generally go towards bad/antagonist factions (Like Zeon or Overlord's group). Storm troopers/ the empire while not sporting the exact same fashion present similarly and plenty of well adjusted people enjoy them and their designs.

Even I gotta admit. That Overlord design is pretty good. Never seen that aesthetic in yellow/orange.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Huh...didn't realize that was a Nazi uniform. I thought it's pretty similar to this:
Devilsummoner2.jpg

And it's a pretty common uniform in various japanese manga, anime and games.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Pandora's Actor is a heap of adorable at times lol. But yeah Ainz/Momonga made him during his edgy phase. Now he acknowledges that he's super lame but still treats him like a son.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Don't hate me but I've always been fascinated with military asceticis and rank structure , I used to read about it for hours.

OP
OP
Rackham

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think think it's the same at all. In those movies/games the nazi aesthetic is used for the antagonists. In Overlords we're dealing with the protagonist who is speaking positive about this trash

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Well, it's not just Japan, but similiar to how Asian history isn't taught in the west, western history isn't exactly taught that deeply in the school, it's how we get situation like this in Taiwan, where the student staged a nazi themed parade with uniform and stuff.

http://time.com/4618183/taiwan-nazi-high-school-hitler-cosplay/

Since the event didn't exactly occur in their part of the world, the European theater is just something that is seen in popular media, be that movie, book or other form.

And the Nazi uniform is designed to be good looking, and since they didn't know of people or the european situation, so they can just think that it's ok to dress u p in the good looking uniform, and will often use excuse of westerner dressing up as native american or other culture without permission.

But it's the same with alot of westerner liking or placing the KMT on a pedastal on what a "democracy" should be in Asia. since their the counter to the Communist party in China, but completely ignoring or not know of their 38+ year of military and martial rule in Taiwan until 1991 with over 140k+ victem placed on military trial, sentence and placed in secret camp and other executed, and people still argueing and figuring out exactly how many people disappeared whether they be Taiwanese, Chinese or abroginal.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP gonna completely ignore Ains own embarrassment and admission of adolescent immaturity when he made the character?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
There's always been a weird liking for Nazi-ish uniforms and aesthetics in Japan. It's probably the same way that average Americans don't automatically think the rising sun flag is bad

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Hellboy isn't stealing the Nazi aesthetic, Rasputin was an occult agent for Hitler. Multiple Hellboy antagonists were Nazis. Not the same thing at all.

Yeah I mean, I must say I thought Kroenen in Hellboy 1 was a pretty dope design. Doesn't mean I'm into what it stands for though.
ladislav-beran-as-karl-ruprecht-kroenen-in-e1499141826801.jpg

It's more of a problem that in ep1 of Overlord our main character uses his new found abilities to grope a woman's breasts...but that's another discussion.
He was Nazi. The scene you're using is from a time when he was still an active member. Nazis dress like Nazis.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think think it's the same at all. In those movies/games the nazi aesthetic is used for the antagonists. In Overlords we're dealing with the protagonist who is speaking positive about this trash
Not sure how far you are but I would say Ains is the bad guy of the story. So much stuff that happens is clearly evil.

Now the fact Ains is the protagonist I can understand your point because I hate the Nazi asthetic fetishism in anime too and I wish it would stop.