• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Brhoom

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I don't see how any reasonable thinking person would come to that conclusion. PS1 was overflowing with classics. Unfortunately Sony lacking a modicum of effort for the damn thing.

-Shit Emulation
-Shit selection
-No analog sticks on the controller, eliminating an untold amount of the catalogue from even being included.
-And they wanted $100 for some shit they shat out?

That's why it failed.

So you think the 20 preloaded games are not classics and is one of the reasons the system failed? An interesting opinion that I would love if you could support by offering other 20 titles that you think are considered classics by the GP

angelina-jolie-xdyt9h.gif

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to care about a Sony product not even Sony cares about.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats OP, this must be by far the biggest hot take that I had ever seen in this forum, be proud of yourself

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nah it just proves that Sony was completely clueless with the production of this product. The price was too high, the library was not great and the emulation was shabby at best. They were just looking for a quick and easy cash grab and they failed miserably. Sony has been aces with most things this gen and made a mistake plain and simple...

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Sony does have some classic but the problem with the PS1 era was that a large bulk of them were third party and they were absent from the mini console.

Like I knew that it would be garbage from the on set when the Crash Bandicoot games weren't part of the initial line up announcement and the fact that Sony was being coy with their line up listing than compare to how Nintendo opted to show the entire listing then and there.

Sony knew that they had a turd on their hand but still tried to shit it out into the wind, only for it to fall back into their face.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I guess GT would have been the biggest issue but Mega Drive classic has shown that some of the publishers for some of the games I mentioned have been open to bringing those games to "mini" devices. Namely Konami.

They could have probably done a way better job if they wanted. The reason I think this is the fact the device itself was really underwhelming and cheaply made.

It wasn't cheaply made either. Like, that hardware with a proper emulation can play up to PSP and Dreamcast games. The main problem was using an old version of PCSX over a solution in-house like Nintendo did. Or just using an updated version of the emulator licensing it from Retroarch.

It also released in a rough date, when games like RE2 or Castlevania SOTN were released / going to release soon, so publishers may have refused to give them the game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 was a forward thinking console, i don't think you can wrap the retro/classic sell around it like nes, snes and perhaps even N64. it could have 500 games with perfect emulation but i doubt there's any mass market pining to revisit those days

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The PS1 has classics, but it was a shitty product (emulation, catalogue, price, poor aging of early 3D games in general, etc).

OP
OP
Brhoom

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Congrats OP, this must be by far the biggest hot take that I had ever seen in this forum, be proud of yourself

giphy.gif

Is the lack of a good emulator the reason the system couldn't sell then? I think systems like the Wii, DS, and the Gameboy prove that if you provide good games your system will sell regardless of graphical powers or emulation quality.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. gran turismo 1
  2. gran tursimo 2
  3. tekken 2
  4. tekken 3
  5. metal gear solid
  6. ff7
  7. ff8
  8. crash
  9. spyro
  10. resident evil 2
  11. resident evil 3
all exclusives, but most of them third party. sony coasted on the third party exclusives their first two gens with gta, mgs and ff pretty much carrying them through the ps2 generation.

it wasnt until 2007 when they finally had to rely almost exclusively on first party titles after peter moore got the FF and GTA tattoos and MS managed to snag big western exclusives like bioshock and mass effect.

IIRC, aside from ico, socom and gran turismo 3, i didnt buy a single sony made game until 2005 when they came out with god of war and sotc. thats almost a four year gap. resistance next year was ok, but 2007 to me was an absolutely fantastic year that justified my $599 purchase.

Motorstorm, Warhawk, uncharted, heavenly sword, ratchet and clank all in one year. the rest as they say is history.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I actually dont even know how to respond to this thread...of course there is classics on PS1. The classic console just wasnt good. Dont overthink it.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Sis the hotness of that tea.

Emulation quality is not the reason it flopped. It's not hard to do the math.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Playstation's got nothin and only the fairest in the land because Sony made a dark deal.

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm confused here.

What are you trying to say?

That SONY ENTERTAINMENT has no classic games, or that the PLAYSTATION 1 has no classics?

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
The PlayStation has some iconic classics that still hold up today.

The psc had very few of them. License issues seemed to kill most of their chances of appearing on the device.

Luckily it's easy to sideload games on the device. I ripped and added most of my ps1 collection in just a few hours.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't cheaply made either. Like, that hardware with a proper emulation can play up to PSP and Dreamcast games. The main problem was using an old version of PCSX over a solution in-house like Nintendo did. Or just using an updated version of the emulator licensing it from Retroarch.

It also released in a rough date, when games like RE2 or Castlevania SOTN were released / going to release soon, so publishers may have refused to give them the game.
Well when I say cheaply made I mean it didn't get the same amount of attention as Nintendo's classic consoles got. They should have done the same thing as Nintendo did instead of using third party programs.

As for your other point, that could be true. In any case Sony shouldn't have released it in this state.
giphy.gif

Is the lack of a good emulator the reason the system couldn't sell then? I think systems like the Wii, DS, and the Gameboy prove that if you provide good games your system will sell regardless of graphical powers or emulation quality.
The truth is that they didn't put the classics. They put games that were on PS1 but weren't considered classics by most people.

So no it doesn't prove that Sony didn't have classics because they do infact have them but didn't include them on the device.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
playstation doesn't have classics? you been smoking the devil's lettuce son?

OP
OP
Brhoom

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
So I'm confused here.

What are you trying to say.

That SONY ENTERTAINMENT has no classic games, or that the PLAYSTATION 1 has no classics?

I'm simply trying to find answers for why the system failed. Excuses like emulation quality, poor controls are stuff the Nes Classic suffers from yet sold well, so what is the reason then?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The problem starting with that generation is that a lot of classic games have a ton of licensing issues. Take something like Gran Turismo. It was the best selling game on the PSone. But for Sony to include it they'd have to go back and license every track in the game, every song in the game, every car in the game, and every sponsor that appears on the track. That's not going to be cheap considering that it's going to be used for a console that even a best case scenario wasn't going to be selling a ton.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm simply trying to find answers for why the system failed. Excuses like emulation quality, poor controls are stuff the Nes Classic suffers from yet sold well, so what is the reason then?

The NES Classic emulation problems are in no way as severe as the Playstation Classic ones. The presentation on the NESC is way better too. And better value with 40 games for 60 dollars versus 20 games for 100.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So you think the 20 preloaded games are not classics and is one of the reasons the system failed? An interesting opinion that I would love if you could support by offering other 20 titles that you think are considered classics by the GP

Out of the 20 games on the PS Classic (western lineup), and the 20 best selling PS1 games, there is an overlap of 4 games. Many of the games included are ones the GP has never heard of (Persona 1, Mr. Driller, Intelligent Qube, Jumping Flash, BAT, etc.)

Out of the 20 games (it's 21 games but I'm excluding Star Fox 2 for obvious reasons, it isn't a classic by nature, but is still a selling point to consider) on the SNES Classic (western lineup), and the 20 best selling SNES games, there is an overlap of 10 games. Many of the games outside of the top 20 on the Classic are still considered classics by the GP (MMX, Super Metroid, Contra III, etc.)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It proves that all of their 'classics' had licensed music I guess.

The PS Classic *should've* had Wipeout 2097, Gran Turismo 2, Tony Hawk Pro Skater etc on it. But there was no way they were getting on because of the soundtracks. Something that NES/SNES/MD don't have to worry about.

Oct 29, 2017
I think it there is a bit of hindsight bias when you refer as Sony's exclusives as being famous for being technical marvels. That is more of a recent phenomenon.

Regardless of that, I think the fact that we call a lot of old point and click adventure games classics suggests to me that even these recent games that are famous for being pretty have an excellent chance of being remembered as classics.

Last edited:

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Playstation always relied on 3rd parties to deliver memorable experiences, it wasn't until the PS3 that Sony first party studios begin to deliver and they only really took off during this gen, so yeah they do have some classics but none of them are on the same caliber of Nintendo

also the ps classic hardware being trash didn't help either

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Hell no, it was just a poorly curated system. Sony didn't want to pay third parties-- including licensing of music for their own stuff (like Gran Turismo).

Even SEGA paid Disney licensing for their retro console. Sony just cheap.

Oct 25, 2017

Way to twist meaning, I didn't infer that ALL of the titles weren't classics, but simply that the selection overall was shitty. There's only a little over a handful that I would keep in there, while omitting others for more prominent Playstation titles.

Of the included titles I would have kept:

MGS
FF7
Tekken 3
Twisted Metal
Cool Boarders 2
Oddworld
Resident Evil

As for which titles the remaining 13 should have been, take your pick from the list:

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Team Racing
Spyro 1, 2, 3 (Or whichever sold most)
Ace Combat 1, 2 (whichever sold most)
Tomb Raider 1, 2, or 3 (whichever sold most)
MediEvil 1 or 2 (whichever sold most)
Megaman X4, 5, (whichever sold most)
Armoured Core
Ape Escape
Klonoa
Silent Hill
Gran Turismo 1
Gran Turismo 2
Parappa the Rapper
Jet Moto 2
Everybody's Golf 1 or 2
Legend of Dragoon
At least one more FF, probably 8.

All of these and more scream PS1! to me more than what we got.

And what's with the smarmy gifs, are we on POPera? The snarky tone really undermines any point you're trying to make.

Grow up.

Last edited:

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
For PSX alone:
Gran Turismo 1 and 2
Ape Escape
Legend of Dragoon
Arc the Lad
Colony Wars
Destruction Derby
Intelligent Qube
Also probably Jumping Flash depending on who you ask

Edit: To be clear, these are only the Sony published games, too.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
It didn't launch with many of the games that people associate with the console, for one reason or another. Spyro and Crash being completely absent is one thing but cutting out wholly owned titles like MediEvil feels super lacking, even their 3rd party offerings from Capcom and other publishers felt lacking when the NES Classic and SNES Classic could get the absolute best of the best from Konami, Capcom, etc etc.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Their game selection was horrible and half the games were the PAL versions. If they aren't going to put in the effort to make it, I won't put in the effort to buy it.

OP
OP
Brhoom

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
You could have just asked if you think it's because of lackluster 1st party offerings on the system or bad emulation and been done with it.

Then I would have been labeled a troll or a low effort poster. I provided some reasons to why some think the system sold poorly to engage the conversation other than have yes and no replies.

Way to twist meaning, I didn't infer that ALL of the titles weren't classics, but simply that the selection overall was shitty. There's only a little over a handful that I would keep in there, while omitting others for more prominent Playstation titles.

Of the included titles I would have kept:

MGS
FF7
Tekken 3
Twisted Metal
Cool Boarders 2
Oddworld
Resident Evil

As for which titles the remaining 13 should have been, take your pick from the list:

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Crash Team Racing
Spyro 1, 2, 3 (Or whichever sold most)
Ace Combat 1, 2 (whichever sold most)
Tomb Raider 1, 2, or 3 (whichever sold most)
MediEvil 1 or 2 (whichever sold most)
Megaman X4, 5, (whichever sold most)
Armoured Core
Ape Escape
Klonoa
Silent Hill
Gran Turismo 1
Gran Turismo 2
Parappa the Rapper
Jet Moto 2
Everybody's Golf 1 or 2
Legend of Dragoon
At least one more FF, probably 8.

All of these and more scream PS1! to me more than what we got.

And what's with the smarmy gifs, are we on POPera? The snarky tone really undermines any point you're trying to make. Grow up.

I don't think Crash and Spyro could have been included due to the Remakes but other than that the list has some notable titles that sadly weren't included in the system.

And I'm not trying to be smug about my use of Gifs, it's just something I use to spice up my posts.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
$100 bucks for shitty emulation of a mediocre selection games, no one in their right mind would buy that. No offense if anyone bought it for full price

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
They have very few classics of their own, yes. Most of the ones that still hold up today have been completely superseded by sequels and/or remasters on modern hardware. Unlike say, Mario 64, which still does certain things better than Odyssey, there are few reasons for someone to return to the original Gran Turismo beyond nostalgia.

Last edited:

LooseGoose717

Banned
May 9, 2019
Sony does have a decent line-up of their own IP. But they kinda neutered themselves by restricting the PS classic to the old, non-analog controller.

There was no excuse not to have MediEvil, Ape Escape or Legend of Dragoon for example, aside from AE being dualshock-only.