• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
No? What a silly thought. Their first party was on fire once ps2 came out.

Mind you most of those classics were exclusives in the 90s.

Obviously ps1 gen took some time for their first party stuff to get going. Also, licensing music dude. Makes it hard to rerelease

There's no way to look at Sony's first party from 1994 on and say they have no classics even if it took them years to get going.

GT, Wipeout, Syphon Filter were big then and Crash/Spyro were too and exclusive, just Activision didn't put them on PsC

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It proves that Sony's most desirable classics were excluded for licensing/remaster reasons. It proves that Sony's first party lineup was weaker and that its popularity was in greater part (compared to Nintendo) driven by 3rd party games.

But more importantly: it proves that word of mouth about terrible emulation quality and PAL versions is more damaging than they could have ever imagined.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
It was a shitty poorly conceived device and they would have done WAY better with a PS2 classic. That's where their best classics are.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It proves that Sony's most desirable classics were excluded for licensing/remaster reasons. It proves that Sony's first party lineup was weaker and that its popularity was in greater part (compared to Nintendo) driven by 3rd party games.

But more importantly: it proves that word of mouth about terrible emulation quality and PAL versions is more damaging than they could have ever imagined.
The PAL versions, more than anything, are what really throw me. Just...why? I know that Sony didn't give enough of a shit to bother with licensing many of the console's best games, but like...surely they didn't have to use PAL versions?

Oct 25, 2017
Sony first party was trash until the PS2, and even then it wasn't THAT amazing. Individual games were masterpieces, like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, but overall their consoles were still carried by third parties.

I also don't like Nintendo first party games, though, and the SNES is a Capcom Box to me, and the SNES classic still looks more appealing than the PS Classic. But then again, I was never that fond of the PSX generation, save for a few titles like SOTN. SNES was way better.

So I guess my answer is: it's the combination of Sony's first party being trash at the time and the console as a whole not having much to offer.

How's that for a hot take?

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I want another one with an even weirder selection of games
maxresdefault.jpg

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
95% of the PS1's library was held up by third parties, but PS2 and the PS3 absolutely have first party classics. You're crazy.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Does the amount of FFVII Remake threads prove that the PS1 has probably one of the biggest classics of all time?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
They definitely have classics (Not as many as Nintendo during that time obviously) but the problem is that yes while the emulation was meh, the games that they chose were mediocre for the most part.

And realistically, when you think about licensing issues and all that, it makes sense. But it's due to that and not them not actually having any games to put on it.

1. gran turismo 1
  2. gran tursimo 2
  3. tekken 2
  4. tekken 3
  5. metal gear solid
  6. ff7
  7. ff8
  8. crash
  9. spyro
  10. resident evil 2
  11. resident evil 3
all exclusives, but most of them third party. sony coasted on the third party exclusives their first two gens with gta, mgs and ff pretty much carrying them through the ps2 generation.

Not that it matters but these weren't exclusives. :P

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
PS1 is the greatest videogame ever.
Sony made a shitty-quality machine with not-so-good games. There are better games on the system
Two problems are that Sony got really great third party games on the machine also some of their best would have some problems with license like Gran Turismo 2.
Anyway, you got Only-capcom PS1 games and you have a better offering than 64.
Only-Squaresoft PS1 games? Better too.
Only-Konami PS1? Yes.
Only-Sony Published but including things like Gran Turismo? Yes.

PS1 was that good.

Also what a bizarre argument, bringing Days Gone.

Sony WW these days (and since, I don't know, 2009?) is probably, consistently the second best studios in the world review-wise, only behind Nintendo. I don't even like Sony first party these days that much (to me it's a shadow of the glorious PS1 and PS2 era) but you can't deny things like Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War 3 and Reboot, Ratchet and Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, Japan Studio games, Horizon, Spider-man, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls and even things that people didn't got to play like Gravity Rush and Puppeteer.

Also, it's interesting you bring Super Mario 64 to discussion. It's a worse game than Crash 2, Crash 3 and Spyro, anyway.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
it proves whoever headed this project over at sony should probably be fired because they severely fucked up in every conceivable way.

breh, ps1 had classics for daaaaaaayyyyyyssssssssss

what we should be wondering is how that shit got out the door in the state that it was in. i know PS4 is in good shape sales-wise, but it does make you wonder what the fuck is going on over there... how do you release a bomb like that when you're market leader and all that? doesn't mean they're gonna fuck up next-gen, but it's still not a good look.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
PS1 is a classic console even if you only include games by Square:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
Chrono Cross
Legend of Mana
Tobal No. 2
Bushido Blade
Einhander
Brave Fencer Musashi
Parasite Eve
Xenogears

Just for fun, when the PS Classic was announced I created a Square-Enix PS Classic limited to 20 titles:
Bushido Blade
Chrono Cross
Dragon Quest VII
Einhander
Fear Effect
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Front Mission 3
Legend of Mana
Parasite Eve
Soul Reaver
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Tactics Ogre
Threads of Fate
Tobal No. 1
Tomb Raider
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Xenogears

While definitely RPG heavy, A better game offer than Sony's Playstation Classic.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
to me it just proves what i've believed all along, nostalgia died with 3d.

old 3d is ugly. old 2d is pretty. in simple terms...

I sometimes toy with a raspberry pi...i have no desire to emulate anything 3d on it.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's what n64 owners knew all along, the ps1 had a ton of garbage and the few that were "pretty good" were overhyped.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS1 didn't have classics, the PS1 was a classic. Greatest console ever. People are holding out for the ultimate PS console that will emulate all the back catalogue.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
it proves whoever headed this project over at sony should probably be fired because they severely fucked up in every conceivable way.

breh, ps1 had classics for daaaaaaayyyyyyssssssssss

what we should be wondering is how that shit got out the door in the state that it was in. i know PS4 is in good shape sales-wise, but it does make you wonder what the fuck is going on over there... how do you release a bomb like that when you're market leader and all that? doesn't mean they're gonna fuck up next-gen, but it's still not a good look.

Agree, PS1 had amazing games on it.
But how many of them were exclusives? And how many of those few were remastered recently for PS4 (Spyro and Crash).
No need to panic about Sony in general tho They tried to do what Nintendo did and it wasn't as succesful.

Since you have a NBA avatar you'll get this reference:
Remember when Draymond Green told Paul Pierce "Quit chasing that farewell tour like Kobe! They don't love you like that!"

Yeah... people don't love Sony and their games like that. Nintendo with Mario, Link and them is on another level.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
But how many of them were exclusives? And how many of those few were remastered recently for PS4 (Spyro and Crash).
No need to panic about Sony in general tho They tried to do what Nintendo did and it wasn't as succesful.

Remember when Draymond Green told Paul Pierce "Quit chasing that farewell tour like Kobe! They don't love you like that!"

Yeah... people don't love Sony and their games like that. Nintendo with Mario, Link and them is on another level.
You mean third party not exclusives? Because a lot of PS1's big games were exclusives.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
PS1 is my favourite console of all time. The PS Classic was a poor device, with poor game selection, that's all.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana

i mean a lot of those great games have been brought to other consoles over the years but that doesn't mean they weren't first on the ps1 exclusively for years. but overall, it's hurt a bit by the early 3d tech. lots of n64 games don't really hold up either. but the rpgs and many niche games are still on point. it had a wild-ass catalog if you really do some deep diving.

and idk if you're serious with the second comment lol. but whatever, i'll entertain it. sony doesn't own europe for no reason as a brand, you know? people love them some gran turismo. and people definitely definitely do love sony as a brand and games like that, people wouldn't be fucking dying for a FF7 remake otherwise.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's what n64 owners knew all along, the ps1 had a ton of garbage and the few that were "pretty good" were overhyped.

Some people are still bitter about a console war from 20 years ago.

I swear, in another few decades they will be like racist old war veterans who can never quite get out of the mindset of seeing the other side as "the enemy"

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
i mean a lot of those great games have been brought to other consoles over the years but that doesn't mean they weren't first on the ps1 exclusively for years. but overall, it's hurt a bit by the early 3d tech. lots of n64 games don't really hold up either. but the rpgs and many niche games are still on point. it had a wild-ass catalog if you really do some deep diving. cult classics for days.

and idk if you're serious with the second comment lol. but whatever, i'll entertain it. sony doesn't own europe for no reason as a brand, you know? people love them some gran turismo. and people definitely definitely do love sony as a brand and games like that, people wouldn't be fucking dying for a FF7 remake otherwise.

Agree with the first part.

However I'm German, right in the middle of Sony country. And yes, PS is fucking huge here. It's basically the default console.
That said, most people buy them to play CoD, FIFA or GTA.
Playstation has fanboys, but that doesn't compare to the Nintendo cultists who buy anything Nintendo puts out.
Sony's "mascots" are popular. But compared to SNES/NES Zelda & Mario the old PS1 games are pretty obscure to the mass market.
Haven't seen a PS classic out in the wild so far, nor heard people talk about it here.

Like, FF7 is an iconic game. Mario is up there with Mickey Mouse. Big difference.

ps. I've owned all PS consoles and consider myself a huge fan

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Just needed a bit more thought before bringing it out. Everything is right apart from the games included!

I hope they learn when the ps2 classic is released, probably in 2021.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I dunno, I was interested in the NES and SNES mini and the upcoming Mega Drive Mini, but had no interest in the Playstation Classic (I own one, as a friend got me one for a present). It honestly had nothing to do with the games or how the machine played them, I still have my original NES, SNES, MegaDrive and PSX as well, I can only assume that it possibly hit at the wrong time? Plus the fact the I can hook up my PS3 and still play my PSX games on it.. I dunno..

The machine was just confused coming out of the gate. I'm wondering now would a Saturn or N64 mini have the PS Classic appeal or the SNES mini appeal..

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Sony should not have released a classic console if they were unable to get most of their classics on it.
Probably was too difficult/expensive to get a lot of licenses, but that doesn't mean anything to the public. The public only sees that the games they'd expect are not there.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it would be easy to make a good PS Classic if you could pick from any game (therefore I'm not looking at the license nightmare situations). I mean, put a Gran Turismo, a TOCA, a Tomb Raider, a Crash, a Spyro, a Driver, the Die Hard Trilogy, Crash Team Racing, Final Fantasy 7, a Tekken, a Metal Gear Solid, a Resident Evil, a Dino Crisis, a Disney game like Tarzan, a Grand Theft Auto, a Castlevania, a Metal Slug, Chrono Trigger, PaRappa The Rapper, a Soul Reaver and bam, you have 20 classic games that most people know and like. It didn't even take me long to think of 20 different series to pull a game from, especially since I'm not even looking at exclusives only.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
From a first-party perspective? Yes. The PlayStation Classic would have been ten times the dumpster fire it was if Sony hadn't been able to license any third party titles.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
The PS1 had some great games that is not really the issue. The issue is that the games have not aged well. The games are still here, but with updated graphics/audio/physics. There is not much difference between a PS1 game and a PS4 game to the general public, the greatest difference is in the visuals, gameplay still pretty much the same but with much needed improvements.

I would use this analogy:

SNES -> Jurassic Park
PS1 -> Eiffel 65 - Blue

The Snes was at the top of it's game and game us masterworks for something that was going to be replaced soon, pretty much as how Jurassic Park was so damn good looking with it's real life model and conservative use of CGI. They gave us the best of the old technology and just a glimpse of the future.

The PS1 on the other hand went full overblown on the new technology (except for some classics like Castlevania) like Eiffel 65 did. Sure the CGI has gotten better with time (alot better), but you wouldn't want to go back and watch movies in the Eiffel 65 style when you have movies like Avatar/Avengers.

That's anyway how I see it. Some things age well and become classics, other don't.

I don't think the actual device had that much to do with it, NES Classic was a piece of garbage if you only look at the hardware.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
PS has no classic? Is this really something that needs a discussion? :|

PS Classic is a mess for many reasons, not the fact they didnt have "classic" to put in it.

Oct 27, 2017
What even is the list of games on the thing? I never really paid it much attention.

Edit - found it (from Eurogamer so probably the PAL list):

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director's Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms
Not a bad list overall albeit lacking some key classics and a couple of odd choices on there. I guess it was the really poor reception and bad emulation that sunk this thing. Sony shouldn't have been so cheap with it.

Last edited: