• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Another tip I can suggest to get you more immersed is a basic meditative exercise that helps improve focus in general and I've found is quite effective in VR...focus on a close by object while in VR, it can be a wall or any object really, though the more it jumps out to you as something aesthetically pleasing or interesting looking the better. As you focus on that object study the details of the texture while also focusing on its proximity to you (the feel of how far away it appears), focus on its depth, its 3D-ness, and place in the world relative to your position. The longer you focus on it the more tangible it seems, as though you can reach out and touch it, also imagining touching the object helps too. I've found that this simple focus exercise can help bring higher awareness to your immersion levels in VR, and well, your general environmental focus and awareness as well. Sorry for the rambling, hope that helps should you ever run into a lull in your time with VR.

I did this yesterday with Playstation VR Worlds. It was a moment in one of the Ocean dive experiences where the fish swims into the cage with you and I don't know why, but it was another "WOW" moment for me where the fish felt like it was real and right next to me. I reached out—knowing it wasn't there—because I really just wanted to touch it.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Day one purchaser and use it at least twice a week. I unhook it everytime I don't use it and only reason I don't use it more is because I hate setting it back up and dealing with the cables otherwise I'd use it daily.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I still think it's incredible but you have to be in the right mood for it.

It always feels like work and it can hurt my head sometimes.

I keep wanting to play RE7, Moss, Astrobot, etc, but then I think about having to play with that thing on my head, doing work turning and all that and then I back out.

Hopefully PS5 makes it much less of a hassle.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Its deffinitly something I pull off the shelve every few months for me. There are some diehards out there who will find something new to play every week but for me I deffinitly bounce between the hits. I dont think I actually used mine this year until after astrobot got good reviews.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say within 3 months. I'd love to get rid of mine but I don't think I'd get enough back to warrant even bothering with a trade in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 30, 2017
Let's just say I paid $500 for a bundle at launch and have no regrets. At one point I didn't pick it up for six months though. VR is new and still needs growth.

That's why I wish other players like MS would enter the market and develop.

Also can't think of it as a peripheral, it can't stand alone but is very much it's own console as the experience is that different.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it at launch and I use it for bursts. A month here, put it away, then a few months later I'll take it out again for another month. It's really good for returning to after they've added some games.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Bought it a while after launch, after trying a bunch of different VR experiences with friends on PC and my work's PSVR setup.

It got a good amount of use for about a month after I bought it (extended because I eventually bought two Move controllers after about a week, which opened up a lot of new options) but then it stayed on the side unused because I couldn't afford every non-VR and VR game I wanted that was coming out, so I went for non-VR for a while. I never unplugged it, I just left it on the side table, but gathering dust for about 9 months.

With Astro Bot, Beat Saber and Tetris Effect, I've got back into it again and have been playing it pretty regularly for the last 3 weeks or so. I still haven't played Moss, but I really want to, and if Beat Saber is going to keep releasing DLC, then there's a decent chance it'll become a regular thing. I've tried a lot of VR setups at this point apart from the very latest bleeding-edge ones on PC, and I never notice any resolution or screen downgrades in comparison to Oculus or Vive, and tbh I do think it's probably the most comfortable and easy-to-use mass market VR headset right now.

The problem with VR is that there's such a big initial effort cost to getting something started with it. It's not like you can pick up the controller and immediately start playing a game - you need to make sure the camera is still positioned correctly, make sure the lighting in the room isn't going to cause problems, position yourself right, actually get the fucking helmet on and headphones in, and ensure you're positioned correctly from the camera view... it's the main thing that stopped me going back to it for those 9 months. But if you can get over it, because it's not that bad and doesn't take that long, it's worth the experiences you get.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am 8 months in, 130+ hrs on Skyrim, 50+ hrs on wipeout and Driveclub, 40+ hrs of Rec Room, and I still love it and want to play it all the time.

More Skyrim. Want to buyback Borderlands 2. Want to buy beat saber. The aim controller. Games that support that. And oh so much more

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I find that even 15 minutes of playing in VR gives me the feeling of a complete experience. At that rate I've still got piles of games to play even a year in. Gives new games a chance to drop in price as well. Go slow with VR, it's good enough to savour.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still using my launch PSVR daily more than 2 years after I purchased it. It hasn't gotten old for me. In fact, it has gotten better as the number of games and quality of games has improved.