• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, OP. Game was really pretty, and it certainly trades blows with, maybe, some really early-gen titles. But no.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Everything's super clean in 4K.

I've played the shit out of Crackdown 3 on PC, and as far as current gen AAA games go - it's solid but not much of a looker. Very simple looking buildings/cars/roads/enemies. It's definitely no graphical powerhouse like other AAA games.
I mean, for what its doing and how much is going on its certainty a looker.

I don't know why anybody would be comparing the two in the first place....

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It could pass for current gen game, but it's not better looking than many AAA games this year. Now God of War 3 on the other hand could probably give a few a good run for their money, would come short eventually, but that game has some ridiculously good looking environments for a last gen game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
For a game that is 8 years old, it holds up wonderfully, even on the PS3.

It certainly holds up a lot better to current gen titles than titles from 2003 held up to that.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Are we talking Uncharted 3 on the PS3? Because no not at all. The remaster looks solid but that even is still plainly a no.

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly can't think of any last gen AAA game that can stand toe to toe with any current gen AAA game this generation, in terms of visuals, no, not even The Last of Us, which is a great looking PS3 game but also obviously a PS3 game and doesn't compare to games like Batman: Arkham Knight or God of War. That being said, the game holds up rather well, which is impressive as many last gen games are pretty rough to go back to in this day and age

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe certain parts/locations, but not as a whole.
Oh, wait, you said better than, not as good as. No, not better.

813533-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-playstation-4-screenshot-enemy.jpg

That background looks really bad by the way, even for a PS3 game.

Oct 25, 2017
You and me both, Chloe and Nadine are fun to have an adventure with and Lost Legacy is easily the best game since UC2.
Yes! I really wasn't sure about Nadine after not liking her much in 4, but I loved her in Lost Legacy. They're such a good duo.

I'd just replace Sam with Cutter as the third member who joins at some points. Still don't like Sam at all and I miss Cutter quite a bit.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Have you seen Titalfall OP?

(Granted it was not released in 2019)

But on a purely fidelity level pertaining to art aesthetic that veers toward realism, the answer is a 'No'.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
It holds up really well, especially in motion, thanks to excellent art direction and animation, but nah it's last gen origins are still pretty evident.

Oct 25, 2017
I've played 1 3 times, 2 4 times, and 3 only once.

After I finished 4, I realized that I couldn't remember anything that happened in 3 at all. Drake is all reminiscing and I'm like "????".

So I want to replay it now! It'll be like a new Uncharted just dropped.

EDIT: Does anyone know how good the Nathan Drake Collection is? I already own the games, but $20 isn't that bad of a fee for an upgrade and to not re hook-up my PS3, let alone every time I boot my PS3 up I feel it inching closer to death.
Is the port accurate? PS3->AnythingBut360 porting seems to be a difficult process.
The remasters are fantastic. 1 in particular really elevates the game by bringing some features to the series' standard instead of the clunky original implementation.

Drake's Fortune Remastered is probably my favorite game in the series. It has all of the good parts of the original but without the dated stuff like grenades working like in Gears of War, which makes combat a lot more dynamic and fun.

The 60fps is also kind of a game changer. It's hard getting used to 30 again if you play one of the remasters right before playing 4 or Lost Legacy.

It really was a better tomb raider game than Tomb Raider.
Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider last week for the first time. It's... really not tough competition.

Maybe Shadow is better.

2013 was way better than Rise, IMO.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What is wrong with this forum and Naughty Dog
The fuck it has to do this forum with ND and such thread?
And with all respect OP, you need to replay the ps3 version because maybe just the remaster can be comparable to some low budget title but the rendering tech used are cleary from a generation ago.

Last edited:

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
You can still tell its a last gen game but UC3 has aged really well (shoutout to Bluepoint too on the remaster).
I dunno, I think the awesome art direction and animations also help quite a bit, apart from just looking at pics.

But when you see that UC4/TLoU Part II leap, wew lad.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! I really wasn't sure about Nadine after not liking her much in 4, but I loved her in Lost Legacy. They're such a good duo.

I'd just replace Sam with Cutter as the third member who joins at some points. Still don't like Sam at all and I miss Cutter quite a bit.
Sam? The dude Nadine and Chole dunked on for the last half of the game? Hard to take him seriously after that shit. Cutter's cool though. I loved Nadine's fascination with animals and how she played off of Chloe. Chloe really took the stick out of her ass. "Ooh, Langer Monkeys!!!"

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
In a way, yes. It holds up very well and runs at 60 fps on ps4... which I can't say for most console games. Higher framerate just makes everything more stunning and lifelike for me even if pretty much every AAA title beats it out in terms of visual fidelity. Also the art style is great.

If speaking purely on a technical level (lighting, textures, etc) then no.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loathe Uncharted 3, its a terrible game, but it was certainly pretty. No argument there.

Oct 25, 2017
Sam? The dude Nadine and Chole dunked on for the last half of the game? Hard to take him seriously after that shit. Cutter's cool though. I loved Nadine's fascination with animals and how she played off of Chloe. Chloe really took the stick out of her ass. "Ooh, Langer Monkeys!!!"

That was so cute! Getting all of the coin thingies was definitely worth it.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, for what its doing and how much is going on its certainty a looker.

I don't know why anybody would be comparing the two in the first place....

Well OP's comparing how well Uncharted 3 stands up to modern AAA games. As far as that goes, no way.

But Crackdown 3 is one of the few where I'd say yes. I still think Crackdown 3's a solid looking game. It's just nowhere near as impressive looking as other current AAA games, that are doing just as much. Especially Ubi soft's titles.

Oct 25, 2017
No kidding their whole thing was so good, wish there was more Tumblr art of these two, my favorite ship from that year. I didn't want Nate to come back after Chloe's Indian friend told Sam to shut up and shoved pizza into his mouth.
What have you done, now I have to replay it again this year.

Naughty Dog, pleeaaaseeee, I need more Chloe + Nadine.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck it has to do this forum with ND and such thread?
And with all respect OP, you need to replay the ps3 version because maybe just the remaster can be comparable to some low budget title but the rendering tech used are cleary from a generation ago.

Go into any thread about an ND game and you'll see what I mean

If you can't see a problem then you're probably who I'm talking about

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Uncharted 3 still looks fantastic on the PS4 but better than many AAA games? naww.
but it does it hold up well for its age when i replayed it the remastered collection.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I played the Nathan Drake collection version of it a few years ago and it looked pretty good but I don't think I would mistake it for a AAA game from the last 3-4 years. Maybe a first year game. There's a lot of environmental stuff that isn't there, like air particles and the backgrounds looking really flat.

If you picked your pictures carefully you could make a case, but in motion I would say no.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
In my humble opinion, Uncharted 3 even better than The Last of Us.

I don't like how murky the latter looks...

U3 have the advantage for being many bright backgrounds & settings I suppose.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It looks really good. But better than most AAA games this gen? Eh. The art style really helps it's age. Part of the reason why I can go back to stuff like Wind Waker. Take stuff like MW1 that tried aiming for a more realistic style and I don't think it aged too hot lol.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that's the remaster. Of course it looks great. If they'd just put out UC3 with a resolution boost, it probably wouldn't hold up as well.

Could pass for an early game of this generation. Definitely doesn't hold up compared to any of Sony's current output. It does look better than some current gen 3rd party games though.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It's definitely on the upper echelon of the PS3's library with regards to production values, no-doubt, and still looks pretty nice, but it is very much of that era. Modern AAA games are far, far above it visually.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The fluid 60 FPS goes a long way to make it look temporally better than a lot of recent console games, that I will agree on.

However, textures and assets don't.

Feb 10, 2018
From a technical perspective no more then gears 3.

Infact technically late gen naughty dog games from last gen are not the best technically, the lighting is not the best and there is some really bad aliasing, however it's the art style and colour pallette which make the "look" so good.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nahhhhh , at some point its just brown all over the place . It looks really washed out and ugly . The inferior lighting became more apparent in motions , screenshots don't even do justices .

PS3_003.bmp.jpg

uncharted-3-drakes-deception-playstation-3-screenshot-1-1280x720.jpg

Meanwhile PS4 AAA

Horizon-Zero-Dawn_2016_10-18-16_004.jpg

god_of_war_screen_03_ps4_us_12jun17.0.jpeg

heres-why-uncharted-the-lost-legacy-is-one-of-our-favourite-games-of-2017-4.jpg

ROTTR_Neo_1_tif_jpgcopy-2060x1159.jpg

Screenshot-07_07_2015-05_35_38.jpg

897MarvelsSpiderMan2018.jpg

Last edited:

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are other forum if you don't like Era, sir. And I see the problem: let me say a single or a group of person not represent the whole thought of a forum.

"If you think we have a problem with our insane rabid fanboyism of a studio go to another forum"

Lmao this isn't the official Naughty Dog Fan Forum, dude. I'll stay here and I'll call that shit out all I want.

Also, I didn't say the whole forum. Learn to read implied context. "What's with this site" obviously doesn't mean every person here. You sound like one of those insane people who says people need to qualify their opinions with "IMO". It isn't necessary if you have a basic understanding of criticism.

And it may not be the majority but MANY ERA posters have a weird defensiveness about certain studios and you're one of them. I don't have anything personal against ND they just have some of the craziest fans. I've gone in on other defense forces here too and I'll continue to do so, and not "go to another forum" so you can enjoy a hugbox.

EDIT: Edited for tone. Came off ruder than I initially intended.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
The texture work is amazing, but their hand painted technique is started to look outdated now compare to newer games. I was playing shadow of the tomb raider then jump back into U4. A lot of the environmental geometry and texture looks very flat.