• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Or it's just illusion?

I replayed Uncharted 3 after 1, and I was not prepared for the huge leap in visual.
Flawed as the game is, the environment in this game looks as stunning as I first played it in 2011.
Surely it is not of the same caliber as Uncharted 4, but the graphics can still easily pass as a current gen title.

813511-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-playstation-4-screenshot-young.jpg

813524-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-playstation-4-screenshot-hieroglyph.jpg

813533-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-playstation-4-screenshot-enemy.jpg

813535-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-playstation-4-screenshot-browsing.jpg

813559-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-playstation-4-screenshot-fighting.jpg

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
No it does not. Come on OP. It is a good looking game but not better than AAA games of this gen.

Agentten

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): System warring, history of recent similar behavior.
It looks better than Crackdown 3

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Upscale (higher resolution) it and it does look like a good current gen game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Great art direction goes a long way. Might not be on par technically, but it's a lot nicer to look at than a lot of recent games.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that, but it easily looks like it can be a current-gen AAA game without many complaints. With the 60fps on the Nathan Drake Collection, I can buy the argument that it looks better than some.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Many? Probably not. But those screens don't look very out of place for current-gen. I had a similar experience with Gears 3 with the X patch - not quite current gen, but pretty close in many places.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mario Galaxy on Dolphin in 4k with hi res textures looks better than a lot of current gen.
Not AAA though. This means art style goes a long way. Uncharted 3 falls in this category too.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Nathan Drake Collection (all of it) looks so good to this day. The art direction was always there, but the additional image quality and 60fps make it immortal.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
Both Chloe and Elena looked so uncannily bizarre in uncharted 3, it was laughable when I was playing it last year for the first time.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
It is a great looking game but no.

With a higher resolution you might be able to convince me that it was an early generation PS4 game. I had a similar feeling recently when playing Gears 3 on XBX.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Too bad they didn't patch in PS4 Pro support. Even a simple 1440p resolution boost like U4 got would go a long way.

Nov 18, 2018
If only PS4 Pro has a BC enhancement for some of their games like the XB1X. I was blown away when I first replay Gears of War 3 4K X enhanced; it looks like a current gen game. UC3 will no doubt be a looker on the Pro if it has enhancement. Unfortunately we will never get that with PS3 games on current consoles.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Not even close. If anything, these screenshots show how massive the difference is when it comes to lighting, oof.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Than all of them? No
Than most of them? Also no
Than some of them? Maybe

Oct 25, 2017
It does look good enough that it blows my mind that they achieved some of those setpieces on the PS3, but the difference between that game and current gen titles is still very obvious.

The Last of Us does a better job at fooling people into thinking it's a PS4 game, but then again, it had terrible IQ and framerate issues on the PS3, so it was actually pushing more than the console could reasonably handle.

But yeah, it looks great, and the transition isn't really jarring at all to me when playing games from both generations, but that was always the case to me for good looking last gen games, even without the remasters. Ni no Kuni looks fantastic on the PS3.

The animations, however, are a different story. Soooooooooo bad. I think Naughty Dog only started making actually great looking gameplay animations with The Last of Us, but Uncharted 3 specifically manages to be worse than its predecessor.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I mean saying Uncharted 3 would looks better than a lot of current gen games isn't some outlandish statement. Obviously tech wise it's dated but it still had a much bigger budget, development time and pedigree behind it than most games now. It's not like people are saying it looks better than God of War or Gears 4.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
If only PS4 Pro has a BC enhancement for some of their games like the XB1X. I was blown away when I first replay Gears of War 3 4K X enhanced; it looks like a current gen game. UC3 will no doubt be a looker on the Pro if it has enhancement. Unfortunately we will never get that with PS3 games on current consoles.

Uncharted Collection, 1080p @ 60fps on PS4.

I wouldn't say it looks better but it still looks really good.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Why'd you have to do this OP? That's it I'm buying the collection.

Regarding your statement, at 720p 30fps....no not really, unless you're comparing small gifs and screenshots. At 1080p/60 in the remaster, then yes.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
If resolution and HDR are the things that make a game looks better than Crackdown looks better then God of War and every other Sony game. I really hope that Last of Us 2 could come close to Crackdown 3 but Im not sure yet

not even close, Crackdown has some unreal lightning, very clean IQ and the HDR in there is honestly in the top 3

Like lets be real here, a top HDR / current looking chart would look like :

Forza 4, Crackdown 3, Metro Exodus, Horizon and GTS. Also REmake 2 is definitely up there

God of War doesn't look better even if its production values are very good

Last edited:

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
It looks like a current gen game that got ported to the Switch, so no, AAAgames today look better than that,

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
UC3 was made on a much bigger budget than most games, so its likely going to be better than many games in many aspects. Things like lighting and textures wont hold up, but the rest of the game wont look too out of place this gen. I haven't played the game since I beat it back in 2011, but I do remember being really impressed by some of the set pieces in the game, the Cargo airplane one, and the cruise ship sinking. Its a very impressive game for its time, but the graphics dont hold up to what we see in todays AAA games.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Chloe always looked weird in the series until Lost Legacy. I remember thinking they absolutely ruined Elena's face in 3 too (luckily they fixed it in 4).

Elena has had bad luck over the years as far as faces go. Bluepoint screwed her up pretty bad in the PS4 remasters of Uncharted 1 and 2 (original on the left, Nathan Drake Collection on the right):

elenaface7fjxq.jpg