• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Just a light hearted thread here but my baby girl is 2 and half and shes the most beautiful girl Ive ever seen but im biased.

But man, shes constantly called a boy by adults because for a long while she barely had hair but even now with cute curls they still say boy 80% of time.

She clearly has a girl face too and voice but man. Last night she was a ghostbuster and despite her hair being done up people said boy.

Just funny how quickly people assume shes a boy because she dont have pigtails in or pink

Lol just funny. But on the flip side my brother in law had long hair as a kid and was always called a girl haha.

Shes cute as shit and people are blind haha

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have a child yet, but I know when we do we aren't going to color code their clothes so I'm sure it'll come up. We'll probably also joke around a ton with whoever asks.

"This? This is a small human. Kinda looks like a tiny potato right now but I suppose it's a boy."

We're trying to get pregnant now, so these are things I look forward to.

And speaking of that, someone needs to restart the Parent thread, because I want help from you nerds when the time comes.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Our daughter had short hair for a while and was mistaken for a boy when she was 1 (almost 2 now), but it didn't really bother me.

What bothered me was when people would say, "Oh your son looks so small!" He was small for his age, but completely healthy. It's just a dumb thing to say because you have no idea what someone's medical history might be.

OP
OP
LanceX2

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Our daughter had short hair for a while and was mistaken for a boy when she was 1 (almost 2 now), but it didn't really bother me.

What bothered me was when people would say, "Oh your son looks so small!" He was small for his age, but completely healthy. It's just a dumb thing to say because you have no idea what someone's medical history might be.
People assume alot haha. I get it at first quick glance. Just funny sometimes

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
My baby girl is just under two months now, and we had no idea on gender before birth. So we got gender neutral stuff. Lots of grey, yellow, so on.

Apparently if a baby isnt wearing all pink or purple they are a boy. It is a bit frustrating.

OP
OP
LanceX2

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
My baby girl is just under two months now, and we had no idea on gender before birth. So we got gender neutral stuff. Lots of grey, yellow, so on.

Apparently if a baby isnt wearing all pink or purple they are a boy. It is a bit frustrating.

We laugh about it now. At first it bugged us.

It shows people assume too quickly off a short glance. Human nature lol

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

I have sort of an opposite situation. My son is pretty short for his age. I think he's under 5% for his age in height. It really shows when he's lining up with a bunch of kids his age and he's not only the shortest but by quite a bit. So often we get complimented by strangers on how smart he is because he looks like he's a lot younger than he is because of his size.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When my daughter was young, she had short hair and was frequently called a boy. My son is less frequently called a girl, despite also having short hair. Doesn't really bother me and they don't notice because of their young age. I find it is generally older people who mistaken my son.

Cargo Shorts

Oct 25, 2017
I've learned over the years never to assume the sex of babies or toddlers, as it was always pretty embarrassing when I got it wrong and the last thing I'd want to do is hurt the feelings of new parents. Now I just say 'So cute! How old?' And I'd always get a 'She's...' or 'He's...'

Ya, don't ever say that. I overheard a woman say to a couple 'Your kid is so quiet! Does he have a learning disability?'

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
Mine was called a boy for awhile since we dressed her in darker blues as we both like that color, and she had a cute blue whale blanket. Most awkward moment of that first six months was an older lady in the elevator telling us we were doing our kid a disservice by not dressing her in pink so others can know she's a girl. Then came the cradle cap and the baby losing all her hair so that further reinforced everyone thinking she's a boy.

It doesn't really bother me as both my mom and my mother in-law speak english as a second language and often mix up gender pronouns for everyone.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two 10 month olds, one of each, and constantly. We don't overtly color code and even when they are it still happens.

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No but we had some photos for a agency done recently for my 1 year old and she looks like a boy in them.

Actually I did this on a plane a couple of weeks ago. Felt pretty bad then another passenger did the same thing. Made me feel a little better.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had this problem as a kid. I have thick curly hair and my folks, for whatever reason, though it best to keep my hair long. Having long eyelashes certainly did not help.

This went on for quite a long time (all through Elementary School) and basically gave me a complex. Hated it.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Happens all the time, unless there are obvious gender-tells in the clothes or hair. Boyish/girlish looks aren't as obvious to other people as you think they are.

Being British I was always far too embarrassed to point out the error. You've got about 5 seconds where you can easily correct someone. If you fail to correct someone immediately (because you aren't expecting that nice old lady to go from "What a pretty boy" into a long conversation), then be prepared to misgender your child for the rest of the conversation to avoid further embarrassment. And just pray they don't ask for their name after you've allowed them to use the wrong gender for the last 5 minutes.
Such is the British way.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
When I was 12/13 I let my hair grow out to my shoulders because all the cool skater kids had long hair. Then I kept repeatedly being mistaken for a girl. That set off about a decade of me buzzing my hair.

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
Below 2 years old its usually a 50/50 chance someone will get the gender of a kid right. I stopped even bothering to correct random people in public because it didn't really matter.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No kids in my near future, but if the day ever comes I am not going to color code them or even expose them to gender stereotypes as they're being raised.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not getting the gender right. It's a baby, it just looks like a blob. :P

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Mine was called a boy for awhile since we dressed her in darker blues as we both like that color, and she had a cute blue whale blanket. Most awkward moment of that first six months was an older lady in the elevator telling us we were doing our kid a disservice by not dressing her in pink so others can know she's a girl. Then came the cradle cap and the baby losing all her hair so that further reinforced everyone thinking she's a boy.

It doesn't really bother me as both my mom and my mother in-law speak english as a second language and often mix up gender pronouns for everyone.

Jeez, why is it even important to know what gender a baby is? They can barely move.

Fakto

Oct 26, 2017
If I had to guess, you and your wife are doing what I consider propper parenting and not imposing her any color, clothes, or line of toys.
Neighbors and friends are used to stereotypes and your child doesn't fit the mold.
I hope that society doesn't end up imposing itself and you keep letting her grow up with her tastes unhinged by labels.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Random strangers probably have a 20% success rate for guessing with both my kids. This is regardless of whether they were wearing pink or blue or not.

oo7

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A few years ago, took our 2 year old son who had yet to have a haircut to the county fair. Old fellow at the gate remarked "that little girl is ready for the fair!". The wife and I chuckled. A few days later we were in a store and a lady remarked what a cute "child" we had. She didn't want to be wrong so she left it open. He got a haircut soon after. It was time but those instances sped up the process. His wild hair was awesome.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
my advice don't get too offended, it can be bloody hard to tell the difference sometimes with kids especially ones you don't know and see the first time.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my advice don't get too offended, it can be bloody hard to tell the difference sometimes with kids especially ones you don't know and see the first time.
Totally this.
Children can look quite gender neutral (androgynous is the term I believe) and you wouldn't notice what gender they are outside of stereotypical stuff you might connect with a specific gender. Therefore I personally wouldn't get offended if I ever have children.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
In my case, all my kids have long hair. But for some reason some thought my lil girl was a boy. There must have been alot of pretty baby boys in my area, lol.

Also the fact that braiding boys hair was really popular. Kind of still is.

And agree don't get offended. Especially if they have on neutral colors, clothes. And the younger they are it's really hard to tell. Again, all my kids have long hair so as a infant you would have thought my son was girl.

Oct 27, 2017
My son is 18 months and gets mistaken for a girl because he has long hair, even though he's wearing boy colours, the same happened for my oldest son but it only seems to be when they are baby/toddlers, as soon as they start talking properly they don't get mistaken so easily.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my son is still getting the "what a beautiful looking girl" even at 18 months old. He does have somewhat longer hair then usual.